Moparts

Hey guys, I have a BB engine question?

Posted By: Adrielp

Hey guys, I have a BB engine question? - 04/02/11 07:29 PM

Is there a formula available to determine how big a valve a particular bore can support? Like for instance, could a 4.375 bore handle a 2.4in diameter valve if the head could supply enough air flow. I know some of you engine gurus can point me in the right direction. This engine of course would be a very wild high end comp style engine turning +9000rpm. I'm thinking it would take that type of rpm to move the air. Thanks for the help, its much appreciated!

-Adriel
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Hey guys, I have a BB engine question? - 04/02/11 07:47 PM

i have seen a topic on this on speedtalk.com if you want to do a search there on it.
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php...87b39aef0d16e19
Posted By: Diablo

Re: Hey guys, I have a BB engine question? - 04/02/11 08:07 PM

My worry is what head are you going to try and use?

I'm pretty sure the wedge heads that can fit a 2.4 valve all need a min of a 4.5 bore. Although I could be wrong.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Hey guys, I have a BB engine question? - 04/02/11 08:23 PM

BIG rpm .... gotsta' have have big valves OR many of them.

On the opposite end ...I am building a loooow rpm engine with smaller ports and smaaaall valves ... 1.88 and 1.50. But it will never see much-over 4500 or so.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Hey guys, I have a BB engine question? - 04/02/11 08:27 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the wedge heads that can fit a 2.4 valve all need a min of a 4.5 bore. Although I could be wrong.

I was going to run my B1m/c with a 2.4 valve on a
4.440 bore... but I didnt like the shrouding ...
this was going to be a 9000+ rpm engine(514ci)

Re: Hey guys, I have a BB engine question? - 04/02/11 08:40 PM

Quote:

i have seen a topic on this on speedtalk.com if you want to do a search there on it.
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php...87b39aef0d16e19

Thanks very much! That was a big help. Looks like 2.34in is the magic number.

Re: Hey guys, I have a BB engine question? - 04/02/11 09:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was going to run my B1m/c with a 2.4 valve on a
4.440 bore... but I didnt like the shrouding ...
this was going to be a 9000+ rpm engine(514ci)

Morgan says use a valve that is 52-.525 of the bore for all wedge heads and .53-.535 of the bore for canted valve heads so that would be a 2.33in valve for that B1 combo.

This question was more of theoretical thing for my purposes. And lets just say I'm tinkering around with cylinder head design. Thanks for all the help, I pretty much found what I needed and more. These forums are great for the brain sometimes as I'm constantly learning more and more. Thanks again

You guys also gave me another question to ask. I will put this one in the boosted forum though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums