Moparts

Carb "air screen" for track-only use?

Posted By: BradH

Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 03/31/11 03:18 PM

Anybody seen or used these? http://www.jegs.com/p/TICU-Racing/TICU-Racing-Full-Flow-Air-Screen/1566809/10002/-1

I'm wondering whether something like that would prove effective enough for track-only use (i.e. swap from regular air cleaner to this w/ a plate attached to seal the screen to the scoop) to provide some additional space between the carb and hood and free up my options for intakes to run w/ the Victor heads. Considering I've been using a 3" drop-base air cleaner, it's also not clear how much actual space above the carb this would add in comparison.

I really don't like the idea of running w/ no air filtration system at all on the track. However, I'm not sure how much this will do beside stopping birds, wayward children, rocks kicked up by cars ahead of me in the burnout box, etc. Maybe that's enough for just making passes down the 1320.

Oh, I also think they're HORRIBLY expensive for what they are.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 03/31/11 03:37 PM

I think mine will work just as well as those and they are a lots cheaper. I got 2 radio speaker grills(got Lucky and found some metal ones)to run on mine.They come in all sizes,just drill a hole in the middle and bolt them down. Check mine out & see what you think.

PS The man at the stereo shop down the road give me mine. Most stereo shops have some laying around or can order you most any size you need.
""CHEAP""

Attached picture 6559703-ns15.jpg.jpg
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 03/31/11 03:39 PM

There is a reason for a air filter, it's to filter air. A buddy of mine bought one of those air screens, as you said , pretty expensive , they look trick, will screen out the rocks and smaller debree. The piece sets about 4" high , he cut about a 1" off the bottom of his to gain some hood clearance, was a waste of money as he went back to the K&N filter. If you have carb/hood issues now I wouldn't recommend it.

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 03/31/11 03:51 PM

Mine only set about a 1/2" high. If you notice mine does not set on the carb.(injector on mine)flange. The scoop tray stills sets on the carb. flange so there is no added height.

I may be wrong but in my 20+ years of racing I have never used or saw the need for a filter on a Race-Car. Any kind of filter at all would hurt the air flow,hurt the hurt air flow kill the HP.
On a street/strip car Yes I see a need for one.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 03/31/11 04:55 PM

Quote:

There is a reason for a air filter, it's to filter air. A buddy of mine bought one of those air screens, as you said , pretty expensive , they look trick, will screen out the rocks and smaller debree. The piece sets about 4" high , he cut about a 1" off the bottom of his to gain some hood clearance, was a waste of money as he went back to the K&N filter. If you have carb/hood issues now I wouldn't recommend it.

100%
i am the air filter nazi on account of what i see when i tear down engines that run without air filters. also, consider the carburetor. a precision metering device with exposed orifices, and you're going to leave it exposed to an unfiltered airstream? i see it at the track all the time. "my car ain't idling right. can you come touch the carburetor?" well, loogathere, IT AIN'T GOT NO AIR FILTER ON IT! airbleeds are all crudded up. airhorn looks like someone poured sand in it. lunacy.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 03/31/11 04:56 PM

I have been thinking about this myself,the opening in the SV1 carb is very large.When I saw one of these in the kitchen,it clicked!!I will end up with a pair of these for when I remove the big K&N's

Attached picture 6559870-small-strainer_~k1493960.jpg
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 03/31/11 05:06 PM

I think it was Chevrolet that used a mesh " diffuser " above the carb and inside the air filter.
The logic was to straighten out the air flow or reduce turbulence or some such.
I have seen pictures and I believe they only did it on H.P. big blocks.
But their engineers thought the idea had merit obviously.
I don't think the gains of running without a filter are worth the shortfalls.
Now , a restrictive system is another story.
I see a lot of tunnel ram set ups with two tiny filters on them and have to scratch my head.
But with quality components , I don't think the power loss is enough to lose sleep over.
That being said , I don't run pro stock.
There are applications where they do hurt performance enough to matter.
But for a street / strip car , I'll always use one.

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 03/31/11 05:13 PM

tubtar,I hear what your saying.I will wait untill I get my junk consistant enough to try the screen to see if it's worth using at all

Attached picture 6559948-GARAGE056.jpg
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 03/31/11 05:15 PM

Quote:

I think it was Chevrolet that used a mesh " diffuser " above the carb and inside the air filter.
The logic was to straighten out the air flow or reduce turbulence or some such.
I have seen pictures and I believe they only did it on H.P. big blocks.

Attached picture 6559961-69ZL1.jpg
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 03/31/11 05:22 PM

That is a picture of corvette with the L88. I also read that racers found a performance increase by removing the mesh filter.
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 03/31/11 05:26 PM

If you thought those were expensive, you should see the price of the Mopar Performance ones...

Summit
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 03/31/11 05:27 PM

Quote:

That is a picture of corvette with the L88. I also read that racers found a performance increase by removing the mesh filter.

You are correct! It belonged to a friend of mine. Actually a ZL 1 in the picture.

Attached picture 6560011-69ZL1001.jpg
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 03/31/11 05:29 PM

4404dart had one.

I have something like that on my SV1...
Posted By: MOPARCHAS

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 03/31/11 11:39 PM

made this one myself about 35.00

Attached picture 6560817-airbell002.jpg
Posted By: MOPARCHAS

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 03/31/11 11:40 PM

another angle

Attached picture 6560821-airbell001.jpg
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 12:23 AM

Quote:

If you thought those were expensive, you should see the price of the Mopar Performance ones...

Summit

hey whatta u mean,mopar only asks 630+ bucks for air horns! i nearly fell off the chair when my bud typed it in on the dealers computer
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 12:25 AM

find a dollar store they have them in there...for .....a dollar
cheapst
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 12:38 AM

Quote:

MOPARCHAS
Where did you get the bases from?
Very nice job you did.
Posted By: Runner

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 12:48 AM

Quote:

Summit

thats funny stuff. i wonder, has anyone ever purchased those?
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 01:50 AM

Quote:

thats funny stuff. i wonder, has anyone ever purchased those?

Sure, just go on ebay and look up (Plymouth, Dodge) Max Wedge and see all those $250,000 trailer queens for sale.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 02:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

MOPARCHAS
Very nice job you did.

I would think that finding the base is half the battle
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 02:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MOPARCHAS
Very nice job you did.

I would think that finding the base is half the battle

Well you gotta start somewhere.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 02:55 AM

Never bought in to the screen thing much. When I have to run at a dirty track, I do this:

Attached picture 6561319-DSC00205.JPG
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 02:56 AM

Clean track, I do this:

Attached picture 6561325-DSC00206.JPG
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 03:43 AM

Quote:

Any kind of filter at all would hurt the air flow,hurt the hurt air flow kill the HP.

I'm sure at some power level the air filter does become a restriction...but I've tested on a dyno up to about 600 hp with and without a 3" K&N style air filter with a drop base on multiple occasions and found no power loss with the filter.

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 01:27 PM

Not sure if I will ever "run" w/out the filter,the thought of a small bird or something getting sucked in stresses me

Attached picture 6561926-garage016.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 01:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Any kind of filter at all would hurt the air flow,hurt the hurt air flow kill the HP.

I'm sure at some power level the air filter does become a restriction...but I've tested on a dyno up to about 600 hp with and without a 3" K&N style air filter with a drop base on multiple occasions and found no power loss with the filter.

Did you re-jet to see if you were at true max power...
ALL filters have a restriction its just a matter
of how much... I use to flow air cleaners(and the
housings) for Chrysler.... we would try different
filter elements in the same housing then we would
try different shapes of housings... it ALL makes
a difference... some are just small differences

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 02:05 PM

Sometimes that small difference can be what wins you the race.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 02:11 PM

Quote:

Sometimes that small difference can be what wins you the race.

Very true if you race all out, but for a bracket racer
its not critical... basically the air cleaner/housing
is no different than the head port itself... a little
shape change here or there makes a difference
Posted By: RAT PATROL

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 04:14 PM

My garage/trailer queen has a couple of those Mopar horns. Chrysler engineers used to recommend these, however I notice that no SS/AH cars run them. I have always wondered if they restrict flow. I do think that they lower the stress level when you leave your car unattended.

Moparchas = Very nice pieces, nice workmanship.

Attached picture 6562240-ENGINEBAY.JPG
Posted By: LAR_414

Re: Carb "air screen" for track-only use? - 04/01/11 05:26 PM

my screens seem just fine around where I live. Not much dust and gravel in PA....rains too much!

I've had the engine apart a few times and no wear that is any more than anything else. Carbs stay clean too.

One thing that helps is that I don't have a hood scoop. Flat hood. Car runs just fine at the track and gets about 1000miles a year put on. This engine is about 8 years old now.
© 2024 Moparts Forums