Moparts

budget turbo ?

Posted By: strokin73cuda

budget turbo ? - 03/30/11 03:40 AM

I have a friend that is a diesel mech.Is there a stock diesel engine turbo (or twin set)that will work good on a stock 73 440 build ? Wich one? And what is possible to get out of it? Thanks trying to get back on an old project.
Posted By: furious70

Re: budget turbo ? - 03/30/11 03:59 PM

Lots of old Detroit turbos will work ok on a 440, look for a tv75 or tv81. The compressor wheels and exhaust housings can vary a lot in them, so you kind of have to get lucky. You would not want an exhaust housing with the 1.6 ratio (the ration is usually stamped on the inside of the turbine inlet) They will all be T6 large frame turbos.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: budget turbo ? - 03/30/11 04:11 PM

The turbos are the cheap part. You going to flip the mani's or make custom headers?
Posted By: feets

Re: budget turbo ? - 03/30/11 06:31 PM

Quote:

The turbos are the cheap part. You going to flip the mani's or make custom headers?

You can't flip B/RB manifolds. They will block the spark plug holes. If you put them on the wrong side the steering box and driver's engine mount are in the way.

Re: budget turbo ? - 03/30/11 06:40 PM

ahhhh, even the lo-po logs? what about flipping shorty headers?

Re: budget turbo ? - 03/30/11 06:54 PM

could you do something like this w/ a BB?

Attached picture 6557980-turbo.jpg
Posted By: pishta

Re: budget turbo ? - 03/31/11 01:00 AM

Quote:

Sure, but were would you put it???

How about cut up mud bog or tractor pull headers, come straight up, bend them forward, flange them, mount turbo(s) and run a Spectre dual inlet hat, symetrical install. Have 1/2 of the snails come out of the hood like a shaker and watch them glow at night!
Posted By: CW25

Re: budget turbo ? - 03/31/11 03:54 AM

Sanderson headers makes block huggers for the big block. I have often thought of going that way instead of stock manifolds.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Sanderson-DD2-Chrysler-383-440-V8-Blockhugger-Header-Set.html
Posted By: CUUDAK

Re: budget turbo ? - 03/31/11 04:50 AM

B engine in a 68 A-body,

Attached picture 6559098-1Cuda002.JPG

Re: budget turbo ? - 03/31/11 04:52 AM

Attached picture 6559101-turboprogress009.JPG
Posted By: strokin73cuda

Re: budget turbo ? - 03/31/11 04:52 AM

I have a set of cheap unused headers to cut up and some fabing skills for the build, just not the knowhow at this point. I am asking your guys opinions to get a jump start on the build. I will buy a new tubo if need be butt I know there has to be a cheaper way and still wouldn't know wich new turbo to buy or how to properly plan to fab the headers without someones help. So what turbos should I look for? Or maybe I should have posted What are your stock 440 turbo combos ?

Re: budget turbo ? - 03/31/11 04:59 AM

I just bought the jegs kit for $119 and a set of $50 flanges off ebay and a few 3" mandrel bends and several 3" V-band clamps.. I used a chop saw but a band saw would have been easier.

Equal length is not really an issue with a turbo!

Re: budget turbo ? - 03/31/11 05:05 AM

Quote:

So what turbos should I look for? Or maybe I should have posted What are your stock 440 turbo combos ?

Several ideas here,

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?board=21.0

Re: budget turbo ? - 03/31/11 02:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sure, but were would you put it???

How about cut up mud bog or tractor pull headers, come straight up, bend them forward, flange them, mount turbo(s) and run a Spectre dual inlet hat, symetrical install. Have 1/2 of the snails come out of the hood like a shaker and watch them glow at night!

well ya'd have to bend it around the k-frame, unless you went with a new tubular unit.

Re: budget turbo ? - 03/31/11 08:58 PM

I went with twins but you might be able to wrap this into a single.

Posted By: furious70

Re: budget turbo ? - 04/01/11 08:05 PM

I'm turning my manifolds upside down

Re: budget turbo ? - 04/01/11 10:41 PM

You cheated by using truck/van manifolds. The passenger car manifolds will not work upside down. That was the first thing I tried when I went turbo.
© 2024 Moparts Forums