Moparts

Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved

Posted By: RyanJ

Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 01:49 AM

Dunno if this will stick around in the race section or not, but just FYI to everyone out there we have a new location as of Monday March 28 & a new shop phone #. Just spent the last 3 days moving the shop & have almost everything settled in the new building..

new address is:

2440 Commercial Blvd
State College, PA 16801

& new shop # is 814-308-8058

Most of my current customers who I've talked to in last few months know about the move, but to those who don't, all the pertinent info is now on my website. & I have Marvin Herbold doing an all new site for me which we hope to have up maybe in few weeks, which will have all new content in a new format, so keep an eye out for that.

Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 01:55 AM

"Our old location on Shady Dell Rd, in Port Matilda was often times a hindrance in poor weather."

No kidding.

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 02:05 AM

Quote:

"Our old location on Shady Dell Rd, in Port Matilda was often times a hindrance in poor weather."

No kidding.

LOL Where is Justin Murray?, I think he had best experience this last winter on the Mountain of anyone.... you were maybe a distant second.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 02:10 AM

Best of luck in the new building Ryan!
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 02:22 AM

Yes, Ryan neglected to tell me there were two ways in. I came in the hard rough way pulling a 40 ft trailer packed the the gills at midnight. The only time my 05' Ram 3500 turned the tranny high temp light on. Yep, a brand new PTC converter with the bushings eat up and all the paint burned off. My trailer was designed, by me to stay on pavement. A road with deep ruts is risky as the plumbing can easily be ripped off with one wrong move. Didn't hurt the trailer but the truck took a beating trying to carefully creep up the mountain.

Leon
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 02:42 AM

Quote:

Yes, Ryan neglected to tell me there were two ways in. I came in the hard rough way pulling a 40 ft trailer packed the the gills at midnight. The only time my 05' Ram 3500 turned the tranny high temp light on. Yep, a brand new PTC converter with the bushings eat up and all the paint burned off. My trailer was designed, by me to stay on pavement. A road with deep ruts is risky as the plumbing can easily be ripped off with one wrong move. Didn't hurt the trailer but the truck took a beating trying to carefully creep up the mountain.

Leon

i hope it wasn't a glide u hurt..lol
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 02:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No kidding.

LOL Where is Justin Murray?, I think he had best experience this last winter on the Mountain of anyone.... you were maybe a distant second.

Ryan nothing beats the "experience" Felix and I had when we brought his W8 engine up in the ice storm last year.

Good to hear you are fianlly getting the shop you deserve!

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 02:49 AM

i liked his old shop,where u banged on the door for 15min's,because he had blasting music and grinder goin at the same time,with goggles and his ear protection on..lol
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 01:42 PM

Quote:

Dunno if this will stick around in the race section or not, but just FYI to everyone out there we have a new location as of Monday March 28 & a new shop phone #. Just spent the last 3 days moving the shop & have almost everything settled in the new building..

new address is:

2440 Commercial Blvd
State College, PA 16801

& new shop # is 814-308-8058

Most of my current customers who I've talked to in last few months know about the move, but to those who don't, all the pertinent info is now on my website. & I have Marvin Herbold doing an all new site for me which we hope to have up maybe in few weeks, which will have all new content in a new format, so keep an eye out for that.

Where are the pics of the new shop?

I always have a vision in my head of what a place that I'm travleing to will look like, let's just say the old SDSS location didn't look anything like what I had envisioned. LOL

Ryan, good luck at the new location and keep up the good work!

Mike Gray
Posted By: mloboda

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 02:45 PM

The driveway to the old shop was hands down the scariest experience I can remember. I seriously thought about just dropping the motor off at the street !
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 02:45 PM

Good Luck! look foward to seeing the new website!
Posted By: W7_Scamp

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 04:26 PM

On my trips up shady dell rd I couldn't help but look out the windows, knowing that any minute i will see some funny looking kid sittin on a porch playin a banjo. I was scared to crack the window because i knew the words(squeel like a piggie) would be echoing down the hollow. First time there I just had to ask if DELIVERENCE was filmed there.

Good luck at new shop well be up to see ya.
Posted By: Voluster

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 05:19 PM

Looks like I sent the head to the right address

Good luck with the new shop
Posted By: Bill_G

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 08:26 PM

Quote:

On my trips up shady dell rd I couldn't help but look out the windows, knowing that any minute i will see some funny looking kid sittin on a porch playin a banjo. I was scared to crack the window because i knew the words(squeel like a piggie) would be echoing down the hollow. First time there I just had to ask if DELIVERENCE was filmed there.

Good luck at new shop well be up to see ya.

I was thinking the same thing! I won't miss that road!
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 08:55 PM

I had to put my RAM in 4x4 to get out of the driveway, and It was dry and sunny when I was there.

Congrats on the new digs Ryan
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 11:13 PM

Does anyone have a pic of this horrible driveway? Sounds interesting.

Dennis
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 11:34 PM

Quote:

Dennis

Attached picture 6554724-600_1946796.jpg
Posted By: Uncle Barry

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/28/11 11:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dennis

thats no lie! LOL! i knew`i should of brought tire chains on our trip. im betting that there is ice on that driveway in august! thank goodness ryan had some ashes or i was afraid of puttin the truck through a wall.

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/29/11 12:06 AM

RYAN actually built the 417 w9 turbo motor so his snow blower can clear the mountains,with the snow it throws, when he's clearing his driveway.
Posted By: KOS

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/29/11 12:56 AM

i actually walked down the mountain left the minivan parked up top to get a hold of Ryan because if nobody was home i wasnt gettin out of there.took me 3-4 shots with Ryans help before i got out a couple winters ago.
Posted By: Otherlane

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/29/11 01:37 AM

I just looked at the site and there is good new info on there.youre the man!

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/29/11 01:40 AM

Oh good greif.

I pulled 23,500 lbs up that mountain with a 2wd. Parked in front of the house and camped for the night. Woke up and it all looked quite a bit different than it did in the dark. I forget how we actually got the block down to the shop. I pretty sure I didn't back the trailer down to the shop. I did turn the whole thing around on the mountain top. Big Deal. All 55ft.

HERE KITTY KITTY!!!

Leon
Posted By: BradH

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/29/11 02:19 AM

Good Lord, people... where was the old location - at the top of the Matterhorn???

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/29/11 02:27 AM

broke back mountain lmao!
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/29/11 02:37 AM

Quote:

Good Lord, people... where was the old location - at the top of the Matterhorn???

Just think what the stories will be like a year from now!
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/29/11 08:18 PM

Wow, I looked it up and that used to be what? DL automotive or something like that. When I was at Penn State that was a pretty nice speed shop for the time. Also I see the junkyard that was accross College Ave. is gone. Houses and warehouses everywhere. How things change in 20 years.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/30/11 12:37 AM

According to his website Shady Dell and DL are in the same building and share some equipment. From reading his site it sounds like a great deal for both shops.

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/30/11 01:21 AM

The old shop was in a tough location. I was a little pissed that Ryan didn't do a better job of warning me.

I realized then that most of the machine work was being done somewhere else. He did have a lot of blocks and heads sitting around. A flow bench, drill and die grinder.

The new location should help a lot.

Re: Shady Dell Speed Shop Has Moved - 03/30/11 01:26 AM

Quote:

Wow, I looked it up and that used to be what? DL automotive or something like that. When I was at Penn State that was a pretty nice speed shop for the time. Also I see the junkyard that was accross College Ave. is gone. Houses and warehouses everywhere. How things change in 20 years.

Yep it still is DL Auto, we are in same building. They've changed their business model from what used to be in there years ago. The only employee left from just 2 years ago is the head machinist Dennis, everyone else is gone & new cast of characters in there. They used to sell alot of aftermarket stuff to walk in customers, now it's pretty much just strictly machine work/engine building services. They'll still sell speed parts, but generally only to guys who are having motors done in there etc. The big walk in "speed shop" in State College is A&A auto parts right down street from us.... they have all your typical GM/Ford speed part type stuff on shelf, Holley carbs, gaskets, MSD ignition type stuff, with huge price markups. But they still sell a ton of it to guys who don't know any better. Years ago @ DL especially when Mark Jones ran the counter, 90% of his day was selling parts, carbs, headers, exhaust systems, running boards etc. Now we pretty much never order that type of stuff in, just because profit margins on it are too thin anymore. We used to have the Keystone Automotive truck delivering there every day... now it's once a week if that. & it's usually for one of my orders once we get $300+ order worked up to cover freight. Most of our stuff comes from Atech or Liberty engine parts. Keystone has dropped alot of their good lines including Holley carbs, which is ridiculous.

The junkyard has been gone for many years, I'm gonna say at least 10... that's now Pep Boys, a Giant supermarket & a restaurant/bar. They had a real mess with soil contamination from the JY when they built the new shopping center. I was only @ that junkyard once, just because they never had anything old, it was more of new salvage yard & their prices were really high... I think I got a parking light for my '89 Lebaron there once. Yes the landscape in State College changes rapidly, especially with the price of land & the University driving it up constantly. The building we are in is valued @ $650K... if it was 5 miles outside town it would be a $150K building, ridiculous.
© 2024 Moparts Forums