Moparts

Who uses M/T slicks?

Posted By: tboomer

Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 07:48 PM

Bad1970dust has did some test fitting and 31x10.5ws fit on my 10" rims on the car..I was doing a search and came up with a part# M/T 3068W..I like Hoosiers but didn't see anything in that size..The Mickys also cost more...So...If ya use M/Ts...How do you like them??
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 07:52 PM

Love em.
Thats all I'll ever run. Get over 150 passes on them and my 60 foot never goes away, I ran them till I showed cords and they still hooked.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 07:54 PM

It's all I will ever use. If the cost difference is going to beak the bank vs. Hoosiers, or something else, it's time to get out of the sport. Not that big of a difference.
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 07:58 PM

It's all I run on all my cars. Good quality tire and last a long time.

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 07:59 PM

Just trying to save a buck here and there,Jeff..Trust me...It ain't gonna break the bank...That already has been shattered!! I always had good luck with Hoosiers...That is why I asked the question..
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 08:06 PM

Quote:

Just trying to save a buck here and there,Jeff..Trust me...It ain't gonna break the bank...That already has been shattered!! I always had good luck with Hoosiers...That is why I asked the question..

Well if you want to save a buck, get the M/T's, you'll get 2 seasons out of them ,almost like gettin a 2nd set for free. They are that good.

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 08:10 PM

Thank you,Keith! Also discussed fuel requirements with the builder...He said 110 will work just fine!(From another thread)
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 08:16 PM

Thats what I run on my car Ted ---- they hook good and do last a long time.

however when these wear out I will be going to a 30x10.5 Hoosier Radial

Russ

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 08:18 PM

Russ...Won't the radial wear out fast?
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 08:43 PM

Quote:

Russ...Won't the radial wear out fast?

Well, when I ran the 30x9 Hoosier radials on the 64 everyone said they would wear out faster too but I got a good 2 years out of them and I was at quite a few events and I was not easy on them for sure . They also hooked everywhere I went with that car so no issues there either. We will see what happens with the bigger radial but that may not be until next year by the time I wear the current M/T's out.

Russ
Posted By: Garceau

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 09:18 PM

Im a hoosier guy -

Just have always liked them.

Besides to me, the M/T's always were so freaking ugly....LOL

Weird thing to think about with tires I know.
Posted By: BLONDE BARRACUDA

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 09:23 PM

I used to use them and really liked them I went to Good Year just because they offered a size that fit my set up a little bit better I dont think the Good Years last as long I cant believe anybody would begrudge you for trying to save a buck it is an expensive sport but that doesnt mean you have to throw money away foolishly
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 10:54 PM

Quote:

Love em.
Thats all I'll ever run. Get over 150 passes on them and my 60 foot never goes away, I ran them till I showed cords and they still hooked.

Exactly what Keith said. My sig pic was pass #2 on the current set. I go through about 2 sets per year, but I run around 300 passes per year and I don't have any mercy on them in the burn out box. I run the 11.5 X 29.5. The last set I pulled off had the cord starting to show and 60' was still 1.391.

Brian Dunnigan

Attached picture 6545636-drags5-30023w.jpg
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 10:56 PM

Its all I have ever used. I usually get around 200 passes on a set of slicks. I have a set of ET streets on the car I run in street class and currently have 204 passes on them with prob 40-50 more passes yet before they are shot.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 11:00 PM

Quote:

That's all I use. I wish you lived closer as I have a buddy that has a connection.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 11:20 PM

Quote:

Just giving you a hard time Ted...

I'm actually surprised you can get a 31" tire under the car. Someone must have opened up the 1/4's a little in the past? Mike's 64 can only fit a 29.5x10.5W. His is also on a 10" rim.

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 11:35 PM

Quote:

Just giving you a hard time Ted...

No problem... Yes...it is getting opened up a bit..Jimmy is fabbing up some new tubs...I can't wait to get it back! No more stinkbug launches!! Now...Go play with your 3/4 cam...and shovel more snow!!
Posted By: actionange

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/23/11 11:52 PM

Quote:

Love em.

Best tires on the market IMO
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/24/11 12:16 AM

go with m/t
Posted By: kdhull

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/24/11 12:44 AM

As Forest Gump would say "Stupid is as stupid does"
3596 lbs. M/T 3055 don't get any better.
yo, Brian send me a note when you are going to be at Bristol. kemit
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/24/11 12:53 AM

M/T 13" x 31" here Ted. So far, so good on the bite.

Only 41 passes on them to date.
Posted By: mopartony

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/24/11 12:53 AM

I have 6 years on my ET streets. They are used up and need to be replaced. should have been in 09. But they still have tons of tread on them for street use. I have lost about a .1 on my 60ft. But this is a given as there are 1500 miles and maybe 300 passes on the tires.

I will be getting another set of MT but slicks this time.

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/24/11 12:57 AM

Man, that is one hellofa nice ride.where you located at???

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/24/11 01:09 AM

Oh well here we go,Was it OK to ask where he is located????? Mods check in here.Dad burn people want to hide where they are at??? I'm in Ellenwood
Georgia. Kermit the name and don't give a butts butt
about your petty games. And now I get all the ##
What's the matter guys you think joeychicago is the
man hell he's the man that keeps you assh@@@
straight>kermit
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/24/11 01:16 AM

Posted By: Leigh

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/24/11 02:37 AM

MT's tend to lose circumference compared to Phoenix. They also have fatter section width. If you compare 11.5-29.5-15's, you will get my drift. As far as hook, can't say.
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/24/11 03:22 AM

You can't go wrong with M/T slicks IMO. My last set I bought with a half dozen passes on them. And as life goes my car did not get finished for a few more years. When I replaced them in 09, Mike at Harlow tire asked if he was reading the date code correct. They had a 1995 date code. Last pass on them had a 1.41 60 ft. First pass on the new set was a 1.401 60 ft. Same tires that are on it now and they have went a best of 1.349 with the rear tires. They also do not require a big burn out either.
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/24/11 07:39 AM

Everyone will have different opinions I had a set of M/T 33X15X17 had 175 passes on them still lots of thread left but they went away 25 passes before that. I would have to due a longer burn out just to get the car to hook consistently. Put on a set of Goodyear 33X15X15 stiff side walls and the reaction time of the car was much quicker had to add .019 to the box. But I due miss the 17” width next set will be 33X15X17 make it a better bracket car on full out passes. Just a side note the M/T coming of the stop was a hand full the GY handle perfect off the stop. But maybe the side walls were dead on the M/T long before that.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/24/11 12:15 PM

do not require a big burn out either.

That's what i like about them had a set 4 about 5 years now and still goes a 1.35 60's off the foot brake i think the next set would be a 29.5 10.5 on a 12"rim.I'm currently running a 29.5 10.5 w.

Re: Who uses M/T slicks? - 03/24/11 12:16 PM

Thanks,guys! Looks like M/T will be ok...I will wait till I get the go ahead from bad1970dust to get them on order..
© 2024 Moparts Forums