Moparts

Rebuilt 727 no reverse!

Posted By: dragram440

Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/20/11 08:24 PM

I just got my car fired back up with the rebuilt trans, converter,cooler and lines and got it filled up with fluid all gears work except reverse? Any ideas? I havent got ahold of the tranny guy yet. He is 4 hours away from me!
Posted By: dc426

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/20/11 08:48 PM

did you put a trans brake in it?
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/20/11 10:08 PM

did u check detent?? if detent is off, u will burn up the trans!! check ur pressure too
Posted By: dvw

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/21/11 02:42 AM

Quote:

I just got my car fired back up with the rebuilt trans, converter,cooler and lines and got it filled up with fluid all gears work except reverse? Any ideas? I havent got ahold of the tranny guy yet. He is 4 hours away from me!

The low/reverse band circuit is the problem. Look at the rear servo,rear band strut, or a valve body issue. The servo and band can be air checked with the valve body removed. You may find a cocked or broken piston,missing band strut,or incorrect adjustment. As metioned some trans brake valve bodys need the brake applied to engage reverse.
Good luck Doug
Posted By: wesw

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/21/11 03:04 AM

if it has a trans brake you have to push the button for it to go into reverse

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/21/11 03:07 AM

The tranny is a 727 with a full manual turbo action cheeta reverse pattern shift no engine brake in 1st no trans brake coan 8" converter.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/21/11 12:27 PM

I bet you have a ripped rear servo seal. Chyeck line pressure with air and see if you hear air leaking out the rear servo.
Posted By: Kindafast

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/21/11 12:28 PM

I had the same problem once. I pulled the transmission 3 times to find the problem. I finally found the pump was different , I don't know what darn difference there was but I changed it and that fixed it. Good luck.
Posted By: 80arrow

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/21/11 01:08 PM

You've got to be kidding me. Is he going to pay for your gas to bring it back? I might be going to the cities soon I could drop it off at Lofgrens.

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/21/11 05:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The low/reverse band circuit is the problem. Look at the rear servo,rear band strut, or a valve body issue. The servo and band can be air checked with the valve body removed. You may find a cocked or broken piston,missing band strut,or incorrect adjustment. As metioned some trans brake valve bodys need the brake applied to engage reverse.
Good luck Doug

Can I see all that by pulling just the pan or do I have to pull the valve body or should I just pull the trans back out and start from there?
Posted By: 383man

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/21/11 07:19 PM

Are you sure it goes into third gear ?? It shares the front clutch with reverse. Thats why I say be sure it goes into third and if it does then I agree its most likely a reverse band problem. Ron

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/21/11 07:41 PM

I havent driven the car but it stalls higher in secound and higher in yet third in the garage. Still to much snow and mud to drive it.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/22/11 01:49 AM

I would pull the pan and look for obvious distress in the rear servo and band linkage. If there's nothing obviously amiss pull the VB and air test the rear servo.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/23/11 02:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good luck Doug

Can I see all that by pulling just the pan or do I have to pull the valve body or should I just pull the trans back out and start from there? [/quote
Yes the valve body would have to come out. All bands and clutches can be tested with air. My diagnosis was based on the fact that 3rd gear works correctly. If not I would air check the front clutch passage. 3rd and reverse both use the high/forward clutch . The low/reverse band is only used in reverse with a Chettah valve body.
Doug
Posted By: dUmB!

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/23/11 03:01 AM

DROP the pan and pull-down on the lever on the rear servo and report back.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/24/11 02:00 AM

Quote:

I would pull the pan and look for obvious distress in the rear servo and band linkage. If there's nothing obviously amiss pull the VB and air test the rear servo.

Attached picture 6545953-Air_test_727a.jpg

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/28/11 03:24 PM

So I pulled the pan and the reverse servo lever is completely free swinging, so im guessing the rear band is broken or off and the lever doesnt seem to line up with the center of the servo.My tranny guy said it was nothing that he did wrong? Not sure why this happened! The tranny has 0 miles on it! Time for a new tranny guy. Now that I have had him do this one twice now with a total of 8 passes on the first one and 0 on this one.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/28/11 03:28 PM

Is the strut for the rear band in the bottom of the pan ? Interesting that it doesn't line up with the servo. How does he know it was nothing he did when he hasn't seen it yet ?

I think you need to become your OWN tranny guy , they aren't that hard to do .
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/28/11 03:35 PM

Too bad you are not closer...Bad1970dust does a bang up job on 727s...

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/28/11 03:48 PM

Quote:

Is the strut for the rear band in the bottom of the pan ? Interesting that it doesn't line up with the servo. How does he know it was nothing he did when he hasn't seen it yet ?

No strut in botom of pan.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/28/11 06:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The strut has to be somewhere , if the band is broken and the lever is swinging then he either forgot to put it in there or it's lodged somewhere else in the trans.
Posted By: dUmB!

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/28/11 06:22 PM

Quote:

Time for a new tranny guy.

YES ....
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/28/11 06:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The strut has to be somewhere , if the band is broken and the lever is swinging then he either forgot to put it in there or it's lodged somewhere else in the trans.

since the linkage is two flat strut's with another crosslink that the band hook's into, it may not of been completely seated in the hook on the band and gave him a false reading of the adjustment, when it finally fell out or into the hook part of the band then it was way too loose,but that strut will be somewhere,,just sayin'

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/28/11 07:37 PM

So I am done with this tranny guy! Do I ask him for any compensation? Or do I just cut my losses? The tranny worked when I brought it to him the first time, Just wanted a freshen up. After 8 passes it over ran the sprag and wrecked the case but still worked with some awfull noises, Brought it in had it fixed With the used case I brought him,Now it has no reverse. I have been going backwards since I brought it to him the first time. He says the first time it broke the sprag it was driver error even though I drove the car exactly how he said and it broke after 8 passes. Now he is saying the reverse band broke or came off because of some other issue that is not his responibility. Does that sound right?I just feel like im getting the short stick here! I could have a nice CRT trans in there for what he has got me on this one.
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/28/11 08:03 PM

You need to just move on and work with someone who knows what they're doing. This guy obviously doesnt know and will only make more excuses and point blame. it makes no sense to waste your time with him anymore.

I would definitley go see CRT. You will not be disappointed.
You will not hear excuses, and you will be able use your car!
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Rebuilt 727 no reverse! - 03/29/11 12:44 AM

Quote:

You need to just move on and work with someone who knows what they're doing. This guy obviously doesnt know and will only make more excuses and point blame. it makes no sense to waste your time with him anymore.

I would definitley go see CRT. You will not be disappointed.
You will not hear excuses, and you will be able use your car!

© 2024 Moparts Forums