Moparts

Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite?

Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/16/11 03:21 PM

When running slicks without tubes and soaping the inside to help them not leak, do you have a soap that works better than the others? I'm taking the radials off the Challenger and going back to a regular slick, but plan to run them without tubes. So is there a special soap that works best?
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/16/11 03:24 PM

I have always used Palmolive! Hey...It worked for Madge!!
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/16/11 03:28 PM

I use to use Dawn and then some of the cheaper brands. It seemed like the cheaper brands tended to "wax-up" more than the name brands. They may have changed the formulation of the name brands over the years so I don't know about them now. Haven't soaped my slicks since going to the Hoosier lightweight radials many years ago.

IHRA has Dallas race photos up!

IHRA Dallas, TX divisional race photos
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/16/11 03:38 PM

My favorite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-mY37TD_3c
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/16/11 03:56 PM

My tire guy has used Dawn dish soap on mine for years. They would just leak enough to lose about 1 or 2 pounds in a week.

Three years ago I started buying from a different tire guy who doesn't use anything. All the tires I've bought from him have lost about 1 pound in a couple months. I pump the tires up to 10 PSI in September and in March or April the tires are still at 5-6.
Posted By: Craig

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/16/11 04:30 PM

I used dish soap when I first got my new Monocoque wheels and next time I changed the slicks the wheels were all pitted inside. Use a real tire lube, they are non-corrosive. I had Ballistol already on hand, and tire lube is one of its uses, so I used that. It works a lot better than soap too. I'm referring to mounting the tire, neither soap nor lube is going to seal a leaky tire/wheel.
Posted By: dragram440

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/16/11 05:49 PM

The Hoosier dealer told me to use Joy dish soap and Joy only. I have had the tires on my car all winter in the cold garage -20 to -30 below at points and havent had to put air in them all winter! They are starting to look a little low but its been 7 months since I put air in them.
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/16/11 05:56 PM

Thanks for the tips, and thanks for the link Myron!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/16/11 06:49 PM

I use Dawn on used tires, maybe I'll try Joy on the next set.I have not had to use soap when buying new tires and mounting them tubeless
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/16/11 09:44 PM

Dawn works for me
Posted By: Valiant_Showoff

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/16/11 10:04 PM

Quote:

Dawn works for me

same for me too.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/16/11 10:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dawn works for me

same for me too.

Posted By: 65racer

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/17/11 12:45 AM

Have had my best results using Dawn,
plus I like the lemony smell.

Plus if you use any of those so called
tire shine sprays, get ready to start
putting air in your tires, that stuff soaks
thru the sidewall, and they will start
leaking, just like you never used anything
to seal them up. AMHIK

Dave
Posted By: Darter6

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/17/11 01:40 AM

Been using Joy for years. FYI "Slime" will destroy aluminum. I lost a set of Centerlines because I wanted to try something different.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/17/11 01:43 AM

I use Oil of Olay to get rid of the wrinkles in the sidewalls.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/17/11 05:49 AM

I use lemon joy.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/17/11 06:38 AM

i got real lucky with mine--i did rub the inside with generic $1 Dollar General soap .
Ive had these on the car for at least 2 years and they have never leaked at all. Not even through the brutal cold winters.

hoosier slicks - no tubes on Welds
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Soaping slicks. Do you have a favorite? - 03/17/11 09:57 PM

Everyone overlooked the main thing. Unless they are new if you do not clean the beads(I clean all of the inside)of the rims good nothing will help them seal. The tire changer unless its you is not going to clean inside the rims.
I guess about now you are thinking what I used to think,they were new rims when I put the last set on.There is no way they have gotten any dirt rubber,any surely they did not scratch them when they mounted them last. I now not only stand there and watch but check everything myself.
© 2024 Moparts Forums