Moparts

To spool or not ?

Posted By: dart443

To spool or not ? - 03/13/11 04:21 AM

Building a new bullet for my dart,Bought a dana with a powerlock.Should I be putting in a spool? I do have one just wondering.
Posted By: Ari440

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/13/11 04:26 AM

spool
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/13/11 04:31 AM

When the p/lock blows up,get a spool
Posted By: Randy..

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/13/11 04:31 AM

Spool here. NO don't wait till it BLOWS. it most likley will take out more than just the diff if it goes, if your lucky it wont kill trans/drive shaft or the car if your going down track at anything over 10mph.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/13/11 04:33 AM

Quote:

Building a new bullet for my dart,Bought a dana with a powerlock.Should I be putting in a spool? I do have one just wondering.

What do you do with the car
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/13/11 04:33 AM

Is this a street car, street and strip car or a race only car? If race only use the spool If not a race car try the posi first and see if yuo like it or not If you don't like it change to the spool then, it is not real hard in the car I used a spool in my street and strip car because I didn't have a posi for the gear ratio I wanted to use, 4.10 I may end up taking that spool out now and replace it with a 4.10 posi that I have acquired since then The spool makes backing into a parking space a pain and it is hard on the axles on the street The choice is yours, good luck

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/13/11 04:55 AM

race car with a ez headed 493 aprox 700hp
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/13/11 05:02 AM

Quote:

Spool
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/13/11 05:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Spool

Spool it now and sell the power lock

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/13/11 05:14 AM

Thanks guys,that's what i thought.I'm a little concerned about breaking an axle with a spool.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/13/11 05:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Spool

Spool it now and sell the power lock

X2
Posted By: tubtar

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/13/11 06:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys,that's what i thought.I'm a little concerned about breaking an axle with a spool.

I'll go ahead and answer your next question right here and now.
Get good axles too.
Stock axles need not apply.
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/13/11 06:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Get good axles too.

Sorry for the dumb question but, can you even get a spool with stock axle spline?

I put 35 spline in mine from DR Diff and never looked back
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/13/11 08:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Get good axles too.

Sorry for the dumb question but, can you even get a spool with stock axle spline?

I put 35 spline in mine from DR Diff and never looked back

the 1970 and later Mopar car Dana 60 came with 35 spline axles stock
Posted By: 572charger

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/15/11 01:30 PM

had stock dana 60 1968 [out of my 440 4spd charger r/t] rear in my car for years we changed the gear and axles to run in the 10s ran many 9 sec and and acouple of 8 sec passes with it never hurt the posi ! i dont' know how the after market posi stack up to a factory one . the rear is in 440drivers 70 coronet , i got a moser with a spool now . only difference is i won,t push easy and it wears out tires twice as fast on the street !!!
Posted By: w2stroker

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/15/11 01:54 PM

sorry to high jack, but it's a similar ? my car is 685 hp, dana 60 with a detroit locker. the local rearend guru said going to a spool would improve my 60' times. any thoughts our experience with this change
Posted By: jvcuda

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/15/11 08:51 PM

Interesting question,a locker behaves like a spool,the difference being a spool weighs less.Would that make any difference in the 60ft?I'm guessing not,but would like to here from someone who made the switch.
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: To spool or not ? - 03/15/11 09:30 PM

Quote:

sorry to high jack, but it's a similar ? my car is 685 hp, dana 60 with a detroit locker. the local rearend guru said going to a spool would improve my 60' times. any thoughts our experience with this change

don't see how its gonna make a difference if the locker is working properly and the car hooks and goes straight. i have a detroit locker in my dart, there a tough unit. only thing i could see is a little bit of rotating weight savings....
© 2024 Moparts Forums