Moparts

What size is the pinion nut?

Posted By: juicedcuda

What size is the pinion nut? - 03/09/11 01:24 AM

I am going to replace my pinion yoke with a billet one. What size is the pinion nut and is there anything special I need to do when replacing it, just an unbolt and bolt back on deal?
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: What size is the pinion nut? - 03/09/11 01:28 AM

what rear end are we talking?

Re: What size is the pinion nut? - 03/09/11 01:29 AM

Quote:

what rear end are we talking?

Sorry, dana 60.
Posted By: Forest

Re: What size is the pinion nut? - 03/09/11 02:12 AM

1 5/16"
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: What size is the pinion nut? - 03/09/11 03:46 AM

Quote:

1 5/16"

Posted By: topside

Re: What size is the pinion nut? - 03/09/11 03:47 AM

And it requires a thinner wall socket than usual, needs 200-250 ft lbs, and affects the pinion depth. Check your pattern after you're done.

Re: What size is the pinion nut? - 03/09/11 04:15 AM

Quote:

And it requires a thinner wall socket than usual, needs 200-250 ft lbs, and affects the pinion depth. Check your pattern after you're done.

So it needs to be torqued to 200-250 ft lbs? And how do I go about checking the pattern?
Posted By: SuperStock68Dart

Re: What size is the pinion nut? - 03/09/11 04:27 AM

Just torque it and be done with it! If the rear pinion bearing was seated before there is no way the depth can change!!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: What size is the pinion nut? - 03/09/11 04:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So it needs to be torqued to 200-250 ft lbs? And how do I go about checking the pattern?

If you don't have a set of instructions or service manual on how to set a set of gears up you need to get one, maybe have someone who is proeffecteint on setting them up help you for the first time There are four different things that need setting up on a Dana 60 rear end, pinion gear depth, pinion bearing preload, carrier bearing preload and backlash
If you have a early Dana 60, not a Strange Engr., unit all of those setting are done with bearing shims
Posted By: SuperStock68Dart

Re: What size is the pinion nut? - 03/09/11 04:43 AM

Aren't you just changing the yoke? The rear is together and has been run....correct? If so just install the thing and torque it!!

Re: What size is the pinion nut? - 03/09/11 12:15 PM

Quote:

Aren't you just changing the yoke? The rear is together and has been run....correct? If so just install the thing and torque it!!

Correct, this rearend has about 40 passes on it, I am just upgrading to a billet yoke while switching to a Powerglide. Never any problems from the rearend.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: What size is the pinion nut? - 03/09/11 02:32 PM

Some are getting the Dana and 489 mixed up. On the Dana you'll not change anything by changing the yoke. On a 489 its possible to collapse the crush sleeve when changing the yoke so it has to be re-checked. Have fun.
© 2024 Moparts Forums