Moparts

Lexan windshield in stock gasket?

Posted By: 408strokerdart

Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 02:53 AM

Ok, who has done this? And how did you do it? What thickness lexan did you go with? Did you have to use a spacer to make the fill the space? Got the windshield out (thanks for the help ChargerCuda) on Saturday, dash came out today. Getting ready to finish adding the rest of the tabs to the chassis and paint it so I can get it back together.

Any pointers on how you did yours would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 02:57 AM

I think it will give you some trouble because the lexan is flat.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 02:58 AM

What's the weight of your windshield? If your looking to replace it with the same thickness on lexan , the weight will almost be the same.
Posted By: sjs64polara

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 03:15 AM

Quote:

Heat gun, welding gloves, beer, and a lot of four letter words. You may have to buy 2 sheets, I remember a few of them breaking. I recall my dad installing a lot of them in the late 70s early 80s on stock cars. I think the thickness was ¼. He was a PBR man back then, now hes like everyone else drinking light low calorie stuff. Man I had a great childhhod

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 03:20 AM

Quote:

What's the weight of your windshield? If your looking to replace it with the same thickness on lexan , the weight will almost be the same.

Was wanting to go 1/8" thick. On a Dart it doesn't have to much of a curve to it (not like an early B) so just asking the question.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 03:28 AM

Both my front and rear windshields are in thier stock gaskets and the stock trim is in place. My Lexan is from Pro Glass and both of them are formed. Not cheap but IMO it is the best stuff out there.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 03:47 AM

Personally, I wouldn't consider anything less than 3/16" for a windshield. I had a 3/16" winshield and 1/8" in all the other windows on my old bracket Challenger.

Al,

How thick is yours?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 04:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Heat gun, welding gloves, beer, and a lot of four letter words. You may have to buy 2 sheets, I remember a few of them breaking. I recall my dad installing a lot of them in the late 70s early 80s on stock cars. I think the thickness was ¼. He was a PBR man back then, now hes like everyone else drinking light low calorie stuff. Man I had a great childhhod

If you broke it you should have bought Lexan instead
of plexiglass..... two different worlds

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 04:17 AM

Quote:

Personally, I wouldn't consider anything less than 3/16" for a windshield. I had a 3/16" winshield and 1/8" in all the other windows on my old bracket Challenger.

Al,

How thick is yours?

Good question.....how thick is the ProGlass? I just re-checked the stock windshield and it is 1/4" thick.

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 04:31 AM

The windshield is 3/16" the back is 1/8". No bracing on either windshield.
Car has been 169 and cahnge with no issues.

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 04:40 AM

Thanks Al.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 04:47 AM

I sell this stuff so I know "a little" bit about it ...

1) Forget the heat gun. Unlike plexi, polycarbonate (Lexan) has a lot of moisture in it. If you heat it up enough to bend it you will get so many air bubbles in it you won't see out that area. Polycarbonate can be cold-bent in excess of a 90* bend with a corner radius its own thickness ... getting it to take the shape of your windshield shouldn't be an issue at all. Cut it, lay it in place, fasten it down.

2) minimum 3/16" for a windshield

3) I suggest Makrolon brand - its less expensive and clearer than Lexan (Dow Corning brand name). If you can find it, buy "abrasion resistant" material - usually only coated on one side so you want that side OUT.

4) clean with MILD detergent ONLY - no Windex and especially NO SOLVENTS OF ANY SORT.
Posted By: Comp Chassis 2

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 04:52 AM

I Have done this before, Used 1/4 lexan, still much lighter than safety glass! Works great. I'm sure you could use 3/16 and have similar results,might be a little loose in gasket, if so and you are worried about it popping out,you could seal it in with some black silicone. As for the shape there is very little curve to an A-body windshield so you wont have any trouble getting it to form! I think this way of doing it looks the best, cant tell it's lexan without really looking hard. P.S NICE car! always enjoy reading posts about it.
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 06:31 AM

I had a 3/16" thick Lexan windshield and 1/8" rear window installed with the stock gaskets in my former Outlaw 10.5 Barracuda. It was no fun when the windshield came into my face at 160+ mph and blew the rear window out of the car as well. Second time around they were installed with fasteners.

Mike Gray
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 06:46 AM

I watched what Mike Just described happen to a local guy and his Demon. his was just in the stock gasket as well, not sure the thickness. It was a low mid to low 8 second car 165ish . Blew in the front windshield and out the back. No fun.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 10:00 AM

1/4" Lexan(aircraft quality)scratch and impact resistant.We put it in place and use small rachet straps to hold the form, apply heat with a heat gun and set heat lamps by the curved areas.After it is good and hot we allow it to cool.Sometimes we repeat the process if the curves are tight.AS mentioned some of this is onesided,so make sure that side is facing out.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 10:09 AM

Quote:

Both my front and rear windshields are in thier stock gaskets and the stock trim is in place. My Lexan is from Pro Glass and both of them are formed. Not cheap but IMO it is the best stuff out there.

I have ProGlass windshield in OEM gasket. A little loose but, not
going anywhere. It is thicker than 1/8" too.
Posted By: jafr

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 01:02 PM

I have a 69 Dart with 3/16" lexan windshield installed in the stock gasket. Go to a windshield installer and get a tube of urathane glue the stuf is tuff as hell. If you try to install the windshield without it it will blow in at around 135mph I KNOW. We also put a round tube brace in the middle, you never know it's there.

Attached picture 6501189-100210244w.jpg
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 01:12 PM

mine in stock gasket as well
dont see ant problems made mine very tight
with a small brace off mirrow

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 02:19 PM

Quote:

I had a 3/16" thick Lexan windshield and 1/8" rear window installed with the stock gaskets in my former Outlaw 10.5 Barracuda. It was no fun when the windshield came into my face at 160+ mph and blew the rear window out of the car as well. Second time around they were installed with fasteners.

Mike Gray

Did you have a center support installed when the windshield came in? Just wondering if that would have prevented it.
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 03:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike Gray

Did you have a center support installed when the windshield came in? Just wondering if that would have prevented it.

Brian,
No, we did not have a center support. In hindsight that would have probably worked fine but I insisted on the fasteners the second time around. It's hard to explain the feeling you get when something like that happens. Even with the fasterners the stock trim can be put back in place if you shim the lexan properly.

Mike Gray
Posted By: jafr

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 03:52 PM

The center support was not added until after the windshield blew in.
I normally run 1/8th mile but last year ran 1/4 mile at monster mopar, 9.41 @ 145mph with no problems.

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 04:26 PM

FWIW I have no center support in mine. I have 400+ passes on this set up and it is in as tight as it was when I first got it. Honestly the only issues I have are with the stock trim not wanting to stay in place on the back window at 165+ then with the window. We run some painters tape around the rear window trim to keep it in place. I was skeptical at first as well but so far it has been fine. Five years and hundreds of passes. Slowest the car has gone is mid 150's. Maybe it is the formed Pro Glass

Also my old Duster used std lexan that was 1/8" on the front and rear window. It blew out at 137. When it went back in it had a center support. It was not Pro Glass just std lexan.
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 02/28/11 06:41 PM

Quote:

Ok, who has done this? And how did you do it? What thickness lexan did you go with? Did you have to use a spacer to make the fill the space? Got the windshield out (thanks for the help ChargerCuda) on Saturday, dash came out today. Getting ready to finish adding the rest of the tabs to the chassis and paint it so I can get it back together.

Any pointers on how you did yours would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Let me know when you need help put whatever you decide back in. 4 hands are probably better then 2 in this case.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 03/01/11 01:39 AM

Al
would you say the pro glass is lighter than the stock glass?
are you satisfied with the scratch resistance/glare...?
cheapst.

()

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 03/01/11 02:40 AM

Anyone buy a ProGlass windshield lately? Do you remember how much $$ it was? Please PM me if you know. Should have called them today.

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 03/01/11 05:07 PM

Quote:

The windshield is 3/16" the back is 1/8". No bracing on either windshield.
Car has been 169 and cahnge with no issues.

I called Proglass.....it is expensive. I wonder if it is any cheaper from a dealer? Anyone know any dealers for Proglass?

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 03/02/11 08:18 PM

I have a Proglass 3/16" windshield coming for it. Going into factory gasket and will have a single center support brace. FWIW, I got it about 15% off thru a dealer so it was worth it to ask. Saved me about $75.
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 03/02/11 10:04 PM

Keep us posted with pics .
I am thinking about it also

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 03/03/11 02:13 AM

Just weighed the original glass windshield. I will weigh the Proglass when I get it and trim it to size.

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 03/03/11 02:24 AM

The Pro Glass is WAY lighter thanthe stock glass for sure. Cheap thet are not! My front and back windows were very pricey. I get comments all the time about why do I still run windows in my car. I politely inform them they are lexan not glass.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 03/03/11 04:09 PM

Quote:

The Pro Glass is WAY lighter thanthe stock glass for sure. Cheap thet are not! My front and back windows were very pricey. I get comments all the time about why do I still run windows in my car. I politely inform them they are lexan not glass.

are you satisfied with the scratch resistance of your windshield?
is there any glare or haze after its been in your car a while?
i need to lighten my car up...3480lbs lol...

Re: Lexan windshield in stock gasket? - 03/03/11 04:12 PM

Very happy. No glare no haze. Looks like glass. It has been on the car for 6 years now and still looks like new with the exeption of one scratch on the back window form a piece of metal on a rag. I am pretty anal about keeping the car clean, we use only Plexus to clean it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums