Moparts

Wilwood Dana rear brakes?

Posted By: Eric

Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 03:37 AM

I just got front Wilwood for the Arrow from a sponsor..yea...and was thinking of replacing the Dana drums with Wilwood also. One issue...I have 5/8th's studs and from what I read the Wilwood kit is drilled for .52 . Can I drill the hat larger? Anyone ever have this problem?..Should I just buy Strange?...I really wanted to keep them all the same. I'll probably just run the drums for awhile but when I catch up on some funds I'd love to ditch them..freakin' heavy stuff Thanks for any input...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 03:40 AM

Buy Strange, Wilwoods suck.
They'll go on in 30 minutes with no issues at alol.

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 03:41 AM

Quote:

Great...I just opened the box for the fronts.
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 04:14 AM

I have Wilwood on the back of my cuda. I had to drill out for the 5/8 stud and also send the hats off to have the centers opened up. They were smaller than the axle and wouldn't sit flat on the face of the axle - Strange 35 spline pro-race gun drilled and star flanged, dana 60.
Other than that I love them over the drum.

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 04:25 AM

Quote:

I have Wilwood on the back of my cuda. I had to drill out for the 5/8 stud and also send the hats off to have the centers opened up. They were smaller than the axle and wouldn't sit flat on the face of the axle - Strange 35 spline pro-race gun drilled and star flanged, dana 60.
Other than that I love them over the drum.

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 04:36 AM

I dont recall drilling mine and I have 5/8 studs
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 04:38 AM

I have Strange on both ends of my 'cuda, and Strange on the front with Wilwood on the rear of my Daytona, The Wilwood hat is thicker (approx 1/2" compared to Strange 1/8") and I had to drill them to fit the 5/8" drive lugs. I personally like the Strange 1 piece hat and rotor better because its lighter and it doesn't have the bolts holding the hat and rotor together to deal with (must safety wire).
Other than that, a lot of people use them and like them.
****A word of caution, no matter who's set up you use, always safety wire the bolts that attach the caliper to the bracket and on Wilwoods, safety wire the bolts that attach the rotor to the hat. DAMHIK *****

Brian Dunnigan

Attached picture 6495021-MVC-008S.JPG
Posted By: Keith BlackĀ®

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 04:59 AM

Quote:

I have Wilwoods no problems here.
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 05:33 AM

I love my wilwoods. I drilled my hats out for the larger studs and yes you must safety wire the hat attachment bolts and caliper bolts. No biggie. Beep
Posted By: DaKuda

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 05:38 AM

I have Wilwoods on rear with 5/8 studs and didnt drill them or have to open the center....?
Posted By: 68valiant68

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 08:57 AM

Eric, order them from wilwood and have them set them up for the 5/8 studs.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 12:35 PM

We drill them out all the time with no issues. I like the thicker hats
Posted By: 572charger

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 12:40 PM

eric ive got wilwoods on my charger, fts since 2003 and installad the rears pro street brakes with parking brake in 2008,ive got 5/8studs on the rear, dont remember drilling out the rotors? i got the kits from summit dont remember any problems installing them at all and they work awesome street and strip p.s ive got a wilwood master cylinder and adj proportioning valve : also
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 08:47 PM

from drum to rear aerospace disc, was 50lbs lighter.

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 08:49 PM

I figure front and rear would take 70-80# off the car..Plus the crappy rolling resistance of the Mustang II stuff thats on the front now....Should put the car below 2100# empty easy.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/25/11 09:16 PM

Eric......I lost 16# on my Dart going from 11" drums to Wilwoods with the internal parking brake. The race brake would probably 5#-10# lighter yet.
Posted By: sg1093

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/26/11 03:08 AM

When I put the Wilwood rear disc brakes on my Daytona with a Dana 60, I had to drill out the hats for the 5/8 drive studs in the Strange axles. I used a Unibit to drill them out. I also had to space the axles out to center the rotor in the mount.
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/26/11 02:55 PM

Quote:

When I put the Wilwood rear disc brakes on my Daytona with a Dana 60, I had to drill out the hats for the 5/8 drive studs in the Strange axles. I used a Unibit to drill them out. I also had to space the axles out to center the rotor in the mount.

dont you shim the calliper to fit the rotor spacing?
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Wilwood Dana rear brakes? - 02/27/11 10:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

dont you shim the calliper to fit the rotor spacing?

Wilwood supplies thin shim washers to better center the caliper and on the pro-street brakes you can also mill down or add shim washers between the flange mount and caliper bracket.
© 2024 Moparts Forums