Moparts

turbo charger and super unleaded gas... is it a must!!

Posted By: mxbeep

turbo charger and super unleaded gas... is it a must!! - 02/25/11 12:01 AM

With all the knowledge on this board,i figured id ask you guys first

i have the opportunity to acquire a Subaru WRX sti ( i know,i know not a mopar). Manufacturer says to operate with minimum 91 octane. under normal driving conditions, could i fill up with 87 or 89 octane?

thanks
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: turbo charger and super unleaded gas... is it a must!! - 02/25/11 02:52 AM

Putting around yes but it will probably "ping" when you open her up.
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: turbo charger and super unleaded gas... is it a must!! - 02/25/11 02:54 AM

Don't do it. Technically if you never get into boost 87 would be fine, but trust me you will. Don't be cheap, buy premium.
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: turbo charger and super unleaded gas... is it a must!! - 02/25/11 03:20 AM

Boost is as addictive as meth or heroin. Buy the good gas cause you won't be able to stay out of the throttle.
Posted By: CUUDAK

Re: turbo charger and super unleaded gas... is it a must!! - 02/25/11 05:04 AM

Octane "GOOD"

Detonation "BAD"

If you hear pings its probably too late. Melting piston!

Burn no less than 92 octane IMO!!
Posted By: Wilde Racing

Re: turbo charger and super unleaded gas... is it a must!! - 02/25/11 05:32 AM

Late model computers will be able to compensate for poor fuel quality. and on the same note you will get more miles per gallon running the better stuff. It will usually out weigh the cost....
Posted By: furious70

Re: turbo charger and super unleaded gas... is it a must!! - 02/25/11 04:26 PM

Quote:

Late model computers will be able to compensate for poor fuel quality. and on the same note you will get more miles per gallon running the better stuff. It will usually out weigh the cost....

While this is true, if there's been any modifications to the wastegate actuation (manual controller, bleed, etc) then the ECU may not be able to compensate. It's only $2/tank for the good stuff, if you were really tight for cash you wouldn't be buying an STi anyway.....
Posted By: mxbeep

Re: turbo charger and super unleaded gas... is it a must!! - 02/25/11 06:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

While this is true, if there's been any modifications to the wastegate actuation (manual controller, bleed, etc) then the ECU may not be able to compensate. It's only $2/tank for the good stuff, if you were really tight for cash you wouldn't be buying an STi anyway.....

as nothing to do with being tight with cash!!, a few places where i travel do not offer 91 octane.
Posted By: Wilde Racing

Re: turbo charger and super unleaded gas... is it a must!! - 02/25/11 06:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No body said anything about modifications... Then all goes out the window.... Who knows if something has been done to the waste gate or timing tables.....

BTW gas is almost 4.00 a gallon here.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: turbo charger and super unleaded gas... is it a must!! - 02/25/11 11:24 PM

Quote:

as nothing to do with being tight with cash!!, a few places where i travel do not offer 91 octane.

Then fill up before you head out and try to avoid the 87 as much as possible. I would make sure to burn it all up and refill w/ 91 or better before getting on the throttle again.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: turbo charger and super unleaded gas... is it a must!! - 02/26/11 02:07 PM

I can't say about Subarus but I have no problems with running a turbo mopar with 87 octane all the time as long as the proper intercooler is utilized and boost level is modest.

On my 12 second Daytona that was 15 psi in the summer and as high as 21 psi in the winter.

Attached picture 6497362-new_sdac_daytona_parkinglot.jpg
Posted By: speedfreak440

Re: turbo charger and super unleaded gas... is it a must!! - 03/05/11 06:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.lethalperformance.com/2010-sh...se-of-6-p-28089

Good stuff, I have used it myself, it is not a gimmick like the other "octane boosters" you see at autozone & such. Keep a 32oz. can in the trunk for when you can't get your hands on 91+
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: turbo charger and super unleaded gas... is it a must!! - 03/06/11 09:12 AM

Quote:

Octane "GOOD"

Detonation "BAD"

If you hear pings its probably too late. Melting piston!

Burn no less than 92 octane IMO!!

Hard to find higher than 91 around here
© 2024 Moparts Forums