Moparts

Header build

Posted By: FastmOp

Header build - 02/22/11 05:48 AM

I'm getting ready to start building new headers for the Valiant. That's the only thing I haven't changed in my persuit of a 5.sec timeslip. After talking to several people on this site that seems to be the next place to look. The ole fenderwell supercomps are rusting from the inside out anyway so nows the time. I have a box of bends and flanges with stubs coming from headman. Summit sent me some edelbrock merge collectors. So I now have another project on the list lol
I'm thinking the pipe increase of a 1/4 inch, was 2 inch, now 2&1/4 and cutting the primarys down to a realistic length
might get me a 5.9999999999.
Nomatter what, this is about the last thing I do to it. I have other junk to finish

ps for those that don't know the new combo it's a stock block 541ci with CnC indys, rollercam, EFI, bla bla bla
Posted By: rebel

Re: Header build - 02/22/11 06:59 AM

i found building headers a very relaxing job to do at night after work. each night i built 1 more pipe. feels good to look at the finished project & know you built it. good luck.

Attached picture 6489789-25-06-09_22291.jpg
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Header build - 02/22/11 01:45 PM

Quote:

i found building headers a very relaxing job to do at night after work. each night i built 1 more pipe. feels good to look at the finished project & know you built it. good luck.

I wish you lived down the street, you could get some additional relaxation.......nice work

Rickster
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Header build - 02/22/11 03:39 PM

Just take your time to get the angles nice... and make
sure you can get to the plugs easy.... if you need some
help with the numbers on the headers send me a PM...
it can be fun to build them
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Header build - 02/22/11 10:08 PM

Quote:

The ole fenderwell supercomps are rusting from the inside out anyway so nows the time.

I'm thinking the pipe increase of a 1/4 inch, was 2 inch, now 2&1/4 and cutting the primarys down to a realistic length

... 541ci with CnC indys, rollercam, EFI, bla bla bla

I agree the 541 CID will wake up hp wise changing from those long, 2" fenderwells.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Header build - 02/22/11 11:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I wish you lived down the street, you could get some additional relaxation.......nice work

Rickster

X2, nice work.

Re: Header build - 02/23/11 12:54 AM

Mr P I sent you a PM couple days ago

what info do you need? I'm not sure on the primary length and I'm married to the edelbrock merge collecters now.

Thanks gents for the help!

Re: Header build - 02/24/11 01:08 AM

Here's what I have gathered for this build. Flanges and bends are Headman, collectors are Edelbrock.

Posted By: fishy340

Re: Header build - 02/24/11 02:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I wish you lived down the street, you could get some additional relaxation.......nice work x100 lol

Rickster

Re: Header build - 02/25/11 10:18 PM

Number 4 is the hardest so that's were I started. There's 2&3/8 of an inch clearance and my pipe is 2&1/4 lol. It's less a bend and more a miter joint coming out of the port lol. The rest should be less trouble. I plan on the headers to be fenderwell exit still because I still have stock stearing and suspension. I'll post a pic after I get a pipe ran to the collector.

So should I make these on the shorter side or longer. I think the #1&2 cyls will end up a little over 32" long but that will be hard to Mach with cyls 7&8. Should I even try to get the lengths close or just keep a few long and a few short?

Here's the car, thanks

Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Header build - 02/25/11 10:34 PM

Quote:

collectors are Edelbrock.

are those the stainless ones ? I used them and the price was ridiculously cheap compared to all the others and only 40.00 more then mild sttel version

I doubt if the variation in lengths will have any noticable effect on performance. At one time everyone fretted about equal length. from what I have seen and heard it might be critical in squeezing out the last HP in an RPM range but not a must in the use sen by most here. .

Re: Header build - 02/25/11 11:32 PM

I think there stainless. My magnit didn't stick.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Header build - 02/26/11 02:18 AM

love them valiants!
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Header build - 02/26/11 02:30 AM

Here is what my #4 looked like on the Valiant, not a lot of room and staying in the frame rails made it even tighter. Had to buy a couple of donuts to make it all work out. The part you dont see her was the bend back towards the engine to clear steeing and get that pipe back inside the framerail.

Re: Header build - 02/26/11 02:38 AM

Other side Al, with the motor farther on the right it really tightens it up.

I have my stubs coming out of the collector now and working on them as we post.
Posted By: prostreet68

Re: Header build - 02/26/11 02:57 AM

I built the headers on my 68 Dodge Dart with a 400 in it. What made it more of a challenge was the Z bar, Lakewood bellhousing and oh yes those torsion bars.
I had some cnc flanges cut and used 2" primary tubes with 3 1/2" collectors. There is hours in building these...but I can say that I built them.

Rick
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Header build - 02/26/11 03:03 AM

D'oh...Working on to many late model cars these days I guessI would figure you woudl have the biggest issue with the steering and master, I know I did. here is the other side for giggles..

Re: Header build - 02/26/11 03:36 AM

That's it. Thats my pain right now. Mine looks ugly on the outside but from the port side it looks ok. I might have a couple real short tubes. Like in the teens for length. Think it will hurt it? I'm working on the number six stub now.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Header build - 02/26/11 03:48 AM

Quote:

That's it. Thats my pain right now. Mine looks ugly on the outside but from the port side it looks ok. I might have a couple real short tubes. Like in the teens for length. Think it will hurt it? I'm working on the number six stub now.

It'll hurt some... how much I cant say... but with the
different lengths you are dumping the exhaust into the
collector at the wrong time to give you a good scavenge
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Header build - 02/26/11 06:02 AM

I always start by placing the collector where I want them for total length and clearance. You can make a hanger of some sort. Then I fab the #1 and #2 cylinder pipes because they are the farthest from the collectors. A 28" long pipe is a good middle ground. Then just work to the rear on both banks putting extra bends if needed to get the same 28" equal lengths. I use a 28" long piece of wire to keep them all the same length plus it makes a decent pattern for the bends needed.

that's my
Posted By: 37dodge

Re: Header build - 02/26/11 05:12 PM

I found this 6 part video on custom header building from Stainless headers

http://www.stainlessheaders.com/headerfabrication
Posted By: rebel

Re: Header build - 02/26/11 09:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wish you lived down the street, you could get some additional relaxation.......nice work x100 lol

Rickster

thanx for the kind words but it's not rocket science & i only had a hacksaw & 4" grinder, plus a mate that had the tig.

Attached picture 6498073-25-07-09_21391.jpg
Posted By: W5Duster436

Re: Header build - 02/26/11 10:55 PM

Those are great videos!

Re: Header build - 03/04/11 03:35 AM

I was out in the garage today trying to make a little progress. I have the number eight pipe tack'd and looking pretty good and have a idea of how the rest will lay out. Still alot of welding and cutting to do. But y'all get the idea.

Re: Header build - 03/09/11 12:03 AM

Almost have this side done, two pipes fully welded and two mostly fitted and ready to weld. I just wanted to show the clamping system I'm useing to hold the stuff so it can be welded. It's just a couple hose clamps and some alum sheet I cut into one inch wide strips. You line up the pipes and clamp the clamps and then weld it up enough so it's not going to move. Then remove the clamps and finish weld. Pretty simple and you don't need to ask anyone to hold anything.

Re: Header build - 03/09/11 12:07 AM

On the bench getting welded.

Posted By: ToddP

Re: Header build - 03/09/11 12:21 AM

The clamps look good, Like a poor mans ICE clamp.

Are you back purging?

Re: Header build - 03/09/11 12:42 AM

No I'm not back purging. It's just mild steal. I might if it was stainless but didn't here.

Re: Header build - 03/26/11 06:29 AM

Fired it up today! Sounds NASTY! But it's been years since I ran open headers lol
the weather was great last weekend but this weekend it's rain and snow.
I might send them out to be coated so it could be a few weeks before we see if they help.

But will post the time slip when it hits the strip.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Header build - 03/26/11 02:39 PM

So what were the lengths of each pipe you ended up with?
In a car like that, compromises are common; but I still think it will be much, much better than the 43" long 2" A-body Super Comp headers.

When I made mine, I put a loop going up into each of the rear pipes (7/driver, 8/passenger), so they were close to my design length of 32". I was able to get all tubes 32-33" except I compromised on the front tube of each side and they are longer.

Attached picture 6550384-Headers_raw1_800.jpg

Re: Header build - 03/26/11 04:55 PM

The front two are about 38" wile the middle four are about 32" and the back two are about 28"
prolly not the best case for HP but should be better then what I had.

Now I have to get back to work on the turbo avenger.

Re: Header build - 03/27/11 04:26 AM

This is the other side!

I didn't think building the headers was hard but it did take a fair amount of time. I tig welded everything so that added to the time. By the time I get them coated these things will be up there in cost. I did gain some tire clearance somehow even though I have the four tubes together and not wide like the supercomps.

Re: Header build (update) - 04/09/11 06:33 AM

Took the hot rod to Ohio Valley tonight. 1st time out this year and 1st time out with the new headers. They picked it up a tenth. Best pass before the headers was 6.16 at 111mph. New best is 6.06 at 113 and I'm still tuning. It got faster every time I gave it fuel. It went 1.35 in sixty foot, that's not the cars best sixtyfoot though. All in all I'm glad I built them.

These runs were footbreaking the 8&3/4 ha ha ha

going to a diffrent track tomarrow but I'll need to slow it down to hit the index.

Thanks for the help Jim. You had a pretty good influence on them.

Re: Header build (update) - 04/10/11 04:59 AM

Since I am use to welding headers now. these seem to be going together pretty easy. Five more pipes and I will be done with another set of headers. To bad this car still needs alot of other welding.

Posted By: earthmover

Re: Header build (update) - 04/10/11 05:11 AM

what do you think the cost of the headers came out to be if you dont mind... im going to try a build some for my new motor once i get the rest of the parts...seems like its running pretty good 6.06 how much does the car weigh..sorry for all the ?? thanks mike

Re: Header build (update) - 04/10/11 05:25 AM

Collectors were 190 ish
Headman flanges with stubs 200 ish
headman box of bends 350 ish
5# tig rod 20 ish
coating is 325

adds up fast don't it.
But coated supercomps are 800 ish by the time you get em.

The Valiant is right at 3100# going down the track.
Posted By: earthmover

Re: Header build (update) - 04/10/11 05:32 AM

thanks for he info....

Re: Header build (update) - 04/23/11 04:07 PM

This is just a post to show the finished result.

Headers are coated. They turned out really good. And it's faster too so I'm happy.

© 2024 Moparts Forums