Moparts

My K Member MOD (in car)

Posted By: moparniac

My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/22/11 04:39 AM

Well it was such a pain to get my big block in last time with the stock k member(a body) pan hitting so while the engine out I put the car on jackstands and went to town!!! all I have to do is a little more smooting then just paint it up! this really should help out clearance ...anyways I got $40 into the job! now bash away

Posted By: theman440

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/22/11 04:49 AM

Hell - looks good to me.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/22/11 04:49 AM

thought you had a bob's in your car

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/22/11 04:54 AM

I was gonna get bobs but I am trying to save money for tech stuff..... I never did this before and just went to town!
Posted By: rowin4

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/22/11 06:35 AM

Didn't the angled bracing just bring you back to where you were in the first place? looks like less oil pan clearance now. I did mine 30 plus years ago without the bracing never had a problem, and it has taken allot of abuse.
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/22/11 07:13 AM

I did mine exactly like that except mine has a motor plate so I cut out the motor mounts also. Has tons of room now!
No Bashing Here!

Attached picture 6489803-pinkslaunch.jpg
Posted By: rebel

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/22/11 07:22 AM

cutting K frames is so much fun.

Attached picture 6489809-Picture662.jpg

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/22/11 01:39 PM

Quote:

Didn't the angled bracing just bring you back to where you were in the first place? looks like less oil pan clearance now. I did mine 30 plus years ago without the bracing never had a problem, and it has taken allot of abuse.

If you look in the top right pic I made a small red circle where it was hitting in the main body of the k then past that it would hit the lip plus I gained all the frontal clearance also.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/22/11 03:17 PM

Quote:

Hell - looks good to me.

X2
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/22/11 09:47 PM

if you are still using a factory steering box you need to get some QIK LINKS and no more pickel tool ever. to install the busing you drill a 3/4" hole in the centerlink. the bushing is tapered indsie to fit the tie rod and straight on the outside. undo the nut and it slides right off.

Attached picture 6490647-phpLsGggoPM.jpg

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/22/11 09:50 PM

Attached picture 6490650-phpJ2lYCvPM.jpg
Posted By: mshred

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/23/11 12:22 AM

Quote:

Well it was such a pain to get my big block in last time with the stock k member(a body) pan hitting so while the engine out I put the car on jackstands and went to town!!! all I have to do is a little more smooting then just paint it up! this really should help out clearance ...anyways I got $40 into the job! now bash away

pic is not working

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/23/11 04:26 PM

looks like its working to me..
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/23/11 05:12 PM

Quote:

if you are still using a factory steering box you need to get some QIK LINKS and no more pickel tool ever. to install the busing you drill a 3/4" hole in the centerlink. the bushing is tapered indsie to fit the tie rod and straight on the outside. undo the nut and it slides right off.

that is a great tip Fred!Thank you!it will help me forsure.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/23/11 05:37 PM

Quote:

Rebel, thats great lookin, is that a right hand drive car? That may be the way I go.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/23/11 05:55 PM

2 easy changes for big strength improvement:
1. no right angle corners.
2. add a rectangular box under the center piece, same width as the new area, as deep as possible before it hits something or interferes with service. Can be pretty light - 16 gauge.

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/23/11 06:13 PM

Quote:

where do you get them?
Posted By: rebel

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/23/11 06:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rebel, thats great lookin, is that a right hand drive car? That may be the way I go.

yep, factory right hand Dart body.

Attached picture 6492148-RebelRacer2.jpg
Posted By: Frito

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/24/11 03:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

where do you get them?

Mike Roth, MR2Performance.

Re: My K Member MOD (in car) - 02/24/11 06:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

where do you get them?

Mike Roth, MR2Performance.

mr2performance@sbcglobal.net
© 2024 Moparts Forums