Moparts

Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year?

Posted By: PUNK

Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 05:25 PM

We went through tech last week and were told that next year all 10.99 or faster cars will be mandated to have the engine diapers. Do these all have to be custom made for the application? Is there companies that make them ready to go for our rear stear Chryslers? Do they have to be SFI approved? I noticed a company called DRE engine diapers and they make them custom. Im just not sure what the costs would be. How many of you guys are currently running an engine diaper on your ride?

Attached picture 6485899-2011Feb06035.jpg
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 05:52 PM

What I have been told by the owner of my local track is that diapers will be required:

1) At the ET finals this year if you're 10.99 or quicker
2) Will be required in S/ST next year

I'm HOPING that rule doesn't filter down to the 10 second ET cars...that would be a shame.

Be interesting to see responses, cuz on our Duster...there's NO way. We'd have to change oil pans and run a true fenderwell header and then maybe one might fit.
Posted By: Voluster

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 06:11 PM

NHRA Rules

Say 9.99 or quicker along with the chassis cert and all the other BS that goes along with going single digits
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 06:14 PM

Russlerii.com

He custom made mine. Abody big block stock steering. Give him a call. 160 bucks. They do not have to be Sfi approved.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 06:23 PM

http://www.russlerii.com/ ....and besides if you have any issues he's just a drive across the mohave for you. Been a few members here that have had blankets made by him.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 06:32 PM

Any one ever had one made for a Charlies pan with the steering linkage pass through and dual external oil lines?

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 06:34 PM

Quote:

Any one ever had one made for a Charlies pan with the steering linkage pass through and dual external oil lines?

That's exactly what's on my car billy boy

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 06:38 PM

That's good to hear Josh. WHo did yours and is it custom fit?

I think the only other concern I have is at least 1 header tube the comes close enough to the block that I'ld be worried about it touching the diaper.

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 06:46 PM

www.russlerii.com is where I got mine.

He had me send him a dimensioned drawing of my oil pan and he sent me a diaper.

There is no doubt that header tube burning the diaper is an issue. Could you wrap that particular tube section with some header wrap?
Posted By: 2QUICK4U

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 06:50 PM

GOT MY DIAPER 2 WEEKS AGO. I DIDNT GET IT BECAUSE OF THE RULES. I GOT IT FOR PIECE OF MIND.I HAVE SEEN TO MANY WRECKS AND COULDNT AFFORD TO REPLACE MY CAR IF I HAD TOO.GREAT SAFETY ITEM.

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 06:53 PM

I'm not sure but I thionk if I put the wrap on it the wrap will touch the block

Yeah, it's close.

How far up the block does the diaper need to be?

Does it cover the starter it go between the starter and the block?

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 06:56 PM

Mine stopped just below the cylinder head. It does not cover the starter
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 07:07 PM

Just what I need...some other #%^*^!!*& thing in the way under my car!
It takes 3 hours to get the starter OFF now,,,about the same to get it back ON!!
Posted By: greendart408

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 07:15 PM

Quote:

Just what I need...some other #%^*^!!*& thing in the way under my car!
It takes 3 hours to get the starter OFF now,,,about the same to get it back ON!!

I agree. I understand the safety part. On my car the headers physically touch the block and the pan and I don't see a easy way to build a belly pan either as my moroso sb pan hangs 4 or 5 inches below the k frame. What to do.......??? Short of custom building headers there is NO way.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 07:16 PM

I need to call and see if the pump on a dry sump
system needs to be inside the diaper... but either
way I need to order up 2 diapers... one for the dry
sump and one for a wet sump.... but right now I need
to get the dry sump one... the other can wait
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 09:12 PM

great something else to have to spend money on

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 09:49 PM

Quote:

great something else to have to spend money on

And something else to hold temp in... which in my case
I really dont mind
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 09:53 PM

Quote:

I need to call and see if the pump on a dry sump
system needs to be inside the diaper... but either
way I need to order up 2 diapers... one for the dry
sump and one for a wet sump.... but right now I need
to get the dry sump one... the other can wait

It doesn't due to no moving parts in the dry sump

Rickster
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 09:55 PM

Why don't the tracks do a novel approach like:

$50 entry and you get a 10% discount with an oil retention device installed.
Posted By: biginchmotor

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 10:48 PM

Josh, would you have some pictures of your diaper installed on your engine? Thanks John.

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/20/11 11:56 PM

I'ld love to see them to.

If you don't have any you could drag the car out here and I'll be happy to take and post some

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 12:02 AM

I don't.....I'm sorry!
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 12:30 AM

Quote:

Why don't the tracks do a novel approach like:

$50 entry and you get a 10% discount with an oil retention device installed.

Hate to kick a guy while he's down but I think it makes more sense to charge a $50 entry and charge a penalty for an oil downs.
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 01:10 AM

Quote:

We went through tech last week and were told that next year all 10.99 or faster cars will be mandated to have the engine diapers. Do these all have to be custom made for the application? Is there companies that make them ready to go for our rear stear Chryslers? Do they have to be SFI approved? I noticed a company called DRE engine diapers and they make them custom. Im just not sure what the costs would be. How many of you guys are currently running an engine diaper on your ride?

I am sure that a big engine diaper company will be heavily sponsoring the NHRA next year at our expence. What do you guys think?

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 01:13 AM

I don't think so.....this rule has started at smaller tracks like Milan
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 01:16 AM

Just ask all the drivers that have run over their internals at the stripe what they think

IMO it's probably one of the top 10 smartest rules

Rickster
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 03:13 AM

Quote:

That's good to hear Josh. WHo did yours and is it custom fit?

I think the only other concern I have is at least 1 header tube the comes close enough to the block that I'ld be worried about it touching the diaper.

DRE made mine and there are two tubes that touch the diaper. He sewed Kevlar patches where the tubes touch and they protected the diaper real well. He didn't put one of the patches in the right spot and it burned one of the straps, but he fixed it for free. This is a full length Ray Barton pan, kickout, drag link tube, sight glass, external oil lines.

The straps are a real pain, especially the rear two. The front straps attach to brackets on the front header bolts, the rear are positioned between 5&7 and 6&8 so going to either header bolt interferes with the plugs. I drilled and tapped the header flange between the two cylinders for a stud that the bracket mounts to.

Attached picture 6487066-US13DRE.jpg

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 07:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I am sure that a big engine diaper company will be heavily sponsoring the NHRA next year at our expence. What do you guys think?

What is the going price for a diaper on a big block a-body? Or how many fiberglass Hemi scoops do I have to sell.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 01:09 PM

there is a pic floating around here somewhere of bigtimes fabbed belly pan....

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 01:22 PM

Quote:

there is a pic floating around here somewhere of bigtimes fabbed belly pan....

bigtimes and bondos (pics in heads up thread)

Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 02:34 PM

Quote:

http://www.russlerii.com/ ....and besides if you have any issues he's just a drive across the mohave for you. Been a few members here that have had blankets made by him.

Sounds good, and $158 is priced OK.
But it looks like those hugh metal ends will have problems fitting on a header flange? On mine (2-1/8), you have to used reduced head bolts (3/8 thread, 5/16 hex) and you can't fit a washer on there never-the-less that metal strap end???

Does anyone have a close up picture of how that goes on the header bolt/flange?
And how about a sewn cut-out for the engine mount to frame connection? I use a front motor plate, but the passenger side engine mount is used as a fore-aft travel limiter/brace.

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 02:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds good, and #158 is priced OK.
But it looks like those hughe metal ends will have problems fitting on a header flange? On mine (2-1/8), you have to used reduced head bolts (3/8 thread, 5/16 hex) and you can't fit a washer on there never-the-less that metal strap end???

Does anyone have a close up picture of how that goes on the header bolt/flange?
And how about a sewn cut-out for the engine mount to frame connection? I use a front motor plate, but the passenger side engine mount is used as a fore-aft travel limiter/brace.

You might want to weld the metal ends right on the
header flange... just a thought

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 02:55 PM

Quote:

DRE made mine ...
The straps are a real pain, especially the rear two. The front straps attach to brackets on the front header bolts, the rear are positioned between 5&7 and 6&8 so going to either header bolt interferes with the plugs. I drilled and tapped the header flange between the two cylinders for a stud that the bracket mounts to.

That stud is a good idea.... for headers with a full flange, mine are cut separate with nothing between them. Something can be fabricated, but it takes money.

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 03:16 PM

Quote:

You might want to weld the metal ends right on the
header flange... just a thought

Like I said, it can be fabricated. It just takes more money. By the time you hire a welder, fabricate new brackets, etc. it doubles the cost of the diaper. At least my engine is out of the car for the winter, so it will be easier to measure, modify, etc.

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 03:17 PM

does anyone have what tech says to what needs to be covered! I cant see getting one of those diapers on a proparts style header especially on dr side!...
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 03:20 PM

i have a oil pan heater on the bottom, wonder how that will work out?
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 04:07 PM

i dono but i checked out ruslier site this is what he says

THE ONLY DIAPER YOU WILL NEED THIS YEAR!
does this mean next year you have to buy one that cert
by nhra,,
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 07:22 PM

ok i have a few questions. what about us that also plan on driving our cars on the street. i mean will it cause my car to over heat in the summer? looks like it would act like a heating blanket? also does it come with a hole to change your oil? i only plan on running no more than 10.00-10.30 in the 1/4 so dont know if this applays to me? sorry for the dumb questions. thanks Mopar65
Posted By: BradH

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 07:40 PM

Quote:

ok i have a few questions. what about us that also plan on driving our cars on the street. i mean will it cause my car to over heat in the summer? looks like it would act like a heating blanket? also does it come with a hole to change your oil? i only plan on running no more than 10.00-10.30 in the 1/4 so dont know if this applays to me? sorry for the dumb questions. thanks Mopar65

Not dumb questions at all, IMO, since I'm in the same situation.

Am I to interpret this thread that my 10-sec. street-driven car needs a freakin' diaper when it returns to an NHRA track this year? Or am I going to have be a a "One Track Pony" and stick to IRHA-only events?

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 07:50 PM

I did not have an issue with temp in my car that was caused by the diaper.

My blanket was designed to have a spot to change the oil in it from Russel, i just had to show him where to put it.

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 08:50 PM

Quote:

I did not have an issue with temp in my car that was caused by the diaper.

My blanket was designed to have a spot to change the oil in it from Russel, i just had to show him where to put it.

wouldnt that defeat the purpose of the blanket let say if something did happen and oil flew out that "custom hole" (just askin)

also I can see SFI putting a stip on this in the near future.....

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 09:12 PM

I have made a couple of statements about this situation , and I race a couple of Hemi a-bodies aka Hemi Dart / Hemi Cuda. I stopped in to see John and Ben Holt of Holt Race Cars and asked them if I need to start thinking about diapers for my 2 cars. What John told me is that none of the ss/ah cars are required to have them and how would you seal up around the hole in the pan where the steering goes through? They have built a few of the high end ss/ah racers and should know what's going on , I would say. NHRA tech guy will be there Thursday , and John will shoot the question to him.

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/21/11 09:51 PM

I fully agree. I can see where my diaper made an attempt at containing oil, but it has its faults as well.

Understand guys, I simply put one on to conform, although it is a good idea in theory, it has to be functional.

Take a look at the unleashed rule, it said all boosted applications had to run a diaper to participate. So I bought one.
NHRA rule book does make an exception for cars with steering links passing through the oil pan
Posted By: QWK_ENUF

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/22/11 12:00 AM

since i am so thrifty (cheap) i am attempting to make my own.

i have a home made front susp with a rack but it is under the front of the pan same as a k member. i will bring it to columbus at the cc event if anyone would care to see it. i will be at the CRT trans booth. i hope to have it done.

no doubt to get one on a mopar is gonna be tuff, not as easy as some think but doable.

we'll see

Attached picture 6488665-01.jpg
Posted By: cgall

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/22/11 01:37 AM

I haven't seen anything from NHRA or our local tracks that say anything about a diaper for 10.00 and slower. We have one local track that has required one for 9.99 (6.39) and faster for a couple of years now, they have very few door cars in Super Pro.
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/22/11 02:36 AM

Quote:

I have made a couple of statements about this situation , and I race a couple of Hemi a-bodies aka Hemi Dart / Hemi Cuda. I stopped in to see John and Ben Holt of Holt Race Cars and asked them if I need to start thinking about diapers for my 2 cars. What John told me is that none of the ss/ah cars are required to have them and how would you seal up around the hole in the pan where the steering goes through? They have built a few of the high end ss/ah racers and should know what's going on , I would say. NHRA tech guy will be there Thursday , and John will shoot the question to him.

Casey
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/24/11 04:51 AM

Quote:

Take a look at the unleashed rule, it said all boosted applications had to run a diaper to participate. So I bought one.
NHRA rule book does make an exception for cars with steering links passing through the oil pan

I would like to know where in the rule book does it say there's an exception for cars with steering links passing through the oil pan?

Re: Whats the deal with Engine diapers next year? - 02/24/11 04:52 AM

i looked for that all day today....i know its out there somewhere
© 2024 Moparts Forums