Moparts

Tranny fluid question

Posted By: Von

Tranny fluid question - 02/18/11 05:31 AM

If Im way off base with this question, please forgive me....

Does the type of tranny fluid play any part in the clutch setting? In other words does Type F make the clutches act as if they are set up tighter than if you use Dexron or something else?
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Tranny fluid question - 02/18/11 02:41 PM

Tech at ATI told me type F has a better friction coeffecient.
If you are running an aftermarket valvebody you dont need it because of more pressure/better design.
Dexron type has better lube qualities for the convertor. Don

Attached picture 6482174-cordova.jpg
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Tranny fluid question - 02/18/11 02:56 PM

I think it was Jim @ ATI that told me to run a good brand type F in my ATI trans & converter also. I used the B&M trans fluid it is a type F and not much more than the others and they sell it at Advance.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Tranny fluid question - 02/18/11 04:12 PM

Quote:

I think it was Jim @ ATI that told me to run a good brand type F in my ATI trans & converter also. I used the B&M trans fluid it is a type F and not much more than the others and they sell it at Advance.

Thats where I just bought mine a few days ago. Been running Dexron 3 per CRT. I guess I am now running a mix ( since I didn't drain the convertor - 9.5" PTC ) and added 7 qts of the B&M stuff. The B&M stuff sez it is compatable with other fluids?
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Tranny fluid question - 02/18/11 04:22 PM

Just like the engine oil topic,ask ten experts and get ten different answers.
I like to run synthetic atf,it seems to be a little more consistent with temperature changes.
On that note,ATI just came out with a synthetic type F.It is made with the help of Joe Gibbs,who has some of the best oils out there,IMO.
I guess they did not use to have a way to make a synthetic type F until recently,according to the literature on it.
Keith
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Tranny fluid question - 02/18/11 04:31 PM

Quote:

Does the type of tranny fluid play any part in the clutch setting? In other words does Type F make the clutches act as if they are set up tighter than if you use Dexron or something else?

I think you guys didnt read his question... does it
act light it makes them a tighter clutch set up...
maybe I'm wrong... but I cant answer it
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Tranny fluid question - 02/18/11 04:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think you guys didnt read his question... does it
act light it makes them a tighter clutch set up...
maybe I'm wrong... but I cant answer it

You are correct,Mr.P.,...
Type f is supposed to make the clutches slip less,due to the lack of additives that promote a little slip while applying,so it might seem like the clutches are set up a little tighter.
Not sure if that helps or not??
Keith
Posted By: Von

Re: Tranny fluid question - 02/18/11 05:09 PM

Quote:

[
Type f is supposed to make the clutches slip less,due to the lack of additives that promote a little slip while applying,so it might seem like the clutches are set up a little tighter.
Not sure if that helps or not??
Keith

That is what I was looking for, that helps a ton!!

So what fluid would make the clutches act the loosest?

Thanks
Posted By: Tig

Re: Tranny fluid question - 02/18/11 06:22 PM

I thought all you guys over there were using John Deere Hygard? Has it become unpopular?
Posted By: dc426

Re: Tranny fluid question - 02/18/11 06:27 PM

I switched to Hygard, I wanted to lower the flash a couple hundreds and it worked really well. I'm gonna stick with it for now
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Tranny fluid question - 02/18/11 06:30 PM

Quote:

I thought all you guys over there were using John Deere Hygard? Has it become unpopular?

I've never used it... I use cheapo type F

Von... cant say what would make it seem loosest
Posted By: S/SSJOHN

Re: Tranny fluid question - 02/18/11 06:32 PM

If you are using a ProTrans, from the Smiths, they will tell you NOT to use a synthetic with the straight cut gears and all the Alum parts ! Use Type F in a Pro-Trans,...John
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Tranny fluid question - 02/19/11 02:25 AM

type f made by castrol at advanced auto part here,and valvoline every where else
© 2024 Moparts Forums