Moparts

Best wheel base length

Posted By: Steve Barton

Best wheel base length - 02/14/11 07:12 PM

I have a 71 Valiant with a 110" wheel base and I am going to replace my main leafs to help with spring wind up. since they are a mile long from center support to rear shackle I am going to shorten it a little and lower the car as well.
My Q is should I also move the wheel base back an inch to give me more clearance for a larger tire or would it affect my weight transfer to much. What is a desired wheel base for drag racing.

Attached picture 6475441-stevewheelyMVI_0958007_0002.jpg
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Best wheel base length - 02/14/11 07:39 PM

I would just switch to cal tracs and order the monoleafs at -1 to lower the car.The futher forward the rear axle is is better for racing improves weight transfer.But I have moved mine back a 1/4 in to help clear 295/65/15 drag radials and have 1.40 60fts.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Best wheel base length - 02/15/11 12:51 AM

Don't forget the driveshaft length. There must be a way to move the whole driveline back a certain amount. If you can find out how to move the motor say 1/2 inch, then you can probably go the full inch and still not hurt the weight distribution much.
If it isn't feasible to move the motor, I would still consider moving the axle back anyway. If you get good weight transfer, the car doesn't care how much is on the front Vs rear.
I went from 50/50 to 52.5 front 47.5 rear and was really worried that it wouldn't work there. Works great. However you have to have enough torque to maintain that weight transfer. Bigger tires can overcome this, and going faster (more torque) will help as well.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Best wheel base length - 02/15/11 02:00 AM

You would like to move the axle forward but that would
take cutting the quarter panels for tire clearance
Posted By: Steve Barton

Re: Best wheel base length - 02/15/11 03:00 AM

I am running the Cal tracks now and I will be doing the rear suspension next year with ether 3 or 4 link. its just to much work for one year I have gone all out on the front end and have built a R3 416 cubes. on paper 650 Hp and 550 plus in Tq. Plus I have a 250 shot of Nos on top of that. My thought was the bigger the tire the better this is a 4 spd with 4.88 gears, I also have 4.56s I guess I could try moving the axle back for now and re think it next year.

Attached picture 6476322-DSCN3726.JPG
Posted By: 6440nssa

Re: Best wheel base length - 02/15/11 03:13 AM

Cut the dam quarter panel, it's a drag race not a car show. It seems like people are more concerned about dumb [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] than building a better race car, going faster, or winning races. move the axel forward and cut the quarter.............
Posted By: toddd

Re: Best wheel base length - 02/15/11 03:23 AM

Steve

I moved my rear back 1" and had to cut about 1/2 inch off the front of the 1/4 to fit the 29.5 m/T's I run.

Todd
© 2024 Moparts Forums