Moparts

Header modification????????

Posted By: WILD BILL

Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 01:37 AM

I love my headers.

I hate the fact that they designed them to hang so low under the car.

To that end they are real close to the ground....

Mostly it hasn't really been a problem other then going in and out of the trailer I have been raising the front of the trailer to get by and just barely.

My first thought was to cut and re weld them but the more I look at that there really isn't any good way to do it and keep everything aligned.

I seem to recall the the last time I brought this up someone saying to heat and bend them up.

Just wondering if that's really a viable option before I go and screw something up.
Posted By: sam64

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 01:52 AM

were you this much of a problem as a child.i'm thinkn you either have worse luck than me tryin to buy new parts or carma is after you.i can tell you if if you pull your car into your enclosed trailer on flat surface and evertthing clears,when you get to the track and pull into parking on the grass which is about 4 inches higher than the pavement the ramp sits on it will lower your 800.00 headers as soon as they catch on the ramp,makes all kinda wierd twists in the tubes.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 01:52 AM

Bill, how much can you move them vertically before
you hit frame or what ever
Posted By: rebel

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 02:12 AM

notch the floor pan like they did in the "Sickfish" project & then you'll have loads of room to move your headers up. you car is race only?

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 02:15 AM

IF I could go straight up I could go almost 2"s on the drivers side. The pass side is tight with the collector being close to the trans.

If I had a way to tweak the set to the out side some I could get about the same as the drivers.

At least I think anyway. Not sure I've looked from every possible angle

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 02:18 AM

I was also thinking that maybe a set of A body fender wells might fit as I have no inner fenders.

Anyone ever done this?

OR

Anyone have a set laying around I could borrow to check fitment?
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 03:59 AM

you sure that new motor plate is in the right place?

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 04:09 AM

Yes it is.

The headers had the same issues before the plate as they do now.

FWIW, I bolted the motor in with the factory mounts to "locate" it when welding the tabs for the plate.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 04:32 AM

Damn dude, better hope your new bullet doesn't cause massive wheelstands, lol

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 04:33 AM

Quote:

Yes it is.

The headers had the same issues before the plate as they do now.

FWIW, I bolted the motor in with the factory mounts to "locate" it when welding the tabs for the plate.

Bill, anyone have a B engine header you can try...
not a RB

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 04:40 AM

Not that I know of.

My old Hooker SC's didn't hang this low but they wern't the adjustanle race headers either.

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 04:43 AM

Quote:

Damn dude, better hope your new bullet doesn't cause massive wheelstands, lol

That would probably push em up enough
Posted By: dvw

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 05:01 AM

You ought to street drive with them that low like I do. Then you would learn to be very careful.
remember , how do you know when it's low enough, when it scrapes, how do you know when the tires are big enough,when they rub, how do you know when the cam is big enough, no such thing, just not enough motor.
Doug

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 05:04 AM

I'm just thinking that a B header on a RB will
lift it up some
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 05:28 AM

I have used a floor jack and a piece of wood under the headers to raise them No cracking or unsightly damages to the pipes. On your car I would put it up on jackstands under the suspension so it sits like when it is on the ground and get after it, it will probally take four or five trys to get it to stay where you want it, go slowly and take your time, don't be afraid to put tension on the pipes when raising them up, it has to go by the spot under pressure you want them to end up at Oh Yeah, with your luck yours pipes will probally break off at the head flanges or it will rip the heads off of the motor Just kidding don't we love drag racing

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 05:50 AM

Raff, they list the same header to fit both the B and RB

Cab, I had them jacked up to a position I was happy with but when I lowered the jack they came right back.

That's why I was thinking about heating them and then bending and letting it cool with the jack in place should hold the new shape.
Posted By: ksj

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 06:37 AM

You have the ability to buid your own.If not bring it here.Got a guy who does it but hates it and he owes me.
http://jerrytaliaferroracecars.com/index.html
Posted By: Twin Turbo Mower

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 08:10 AM

Does not seem much lower then your oil pan inthe pic. What about trying a set of tti's?
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 04:39 PM

Posted By: theclutcher

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 04:50 PM

raise the eng and trans with modified mounts.
modify scoop.

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 07:25 PM

Quote:

Does not seem much lower then your oil pan inthe pic. What about trying a set of tti's?

And I did kiss that oil pan once too

That's why the new Charlies pan is a little shallower.

Hasn't any tried this and have it work?
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 08:29 PM

I have never own a set of headers that I did't heat up bend ?
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 09:06 PM

bill: if your going to heat them anyway, jack them into position (even if you need to do it a little at a time) and then apply the heat and when they cool they should stay where you want them. just be ready to remove the jack pressure as they start cooling, so they don't settle higher then anticipated
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/30/11 09:17 PM

in the mean time you could lay a sheet down so the headers do not catch on the door/trailer for the headers to slide on.i think your best bet is to get headers to go over the frame.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/31/11 12:53 AM

Quote:

bill: if your going to heat them anyway, jack them into position (even if you need to do it a little at a time) and then apply the heat and when they cool they should stay where you want them. just be ready to remove the jack pressure as they start cooling, so they don't settle higher then anticipated

Heat them slowly in the spots where you want to bend.

I have some Headman fenderwells you could try but I'd have to
And the price for new ones is
Posted By: Rumblefish68

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/31/11 06:29 AM

Similiar problem but a little different on my A body with header tubes touching the trans shield.
Heated them up with a "rosebud" tip on the torch, heating all 4 pipes at the existing bends and pulled over with a come-along and strap. Took the pressure off after they cooled. Put pressure on them gently and get them glowing.
Seems to me you will have to push -up and push or pull to the rear to get them up that much or you'll still have a low spot.
Good Luck.

Re: Header modification???????? - 01/31/11 01:40 PM

Thanks guys. I was thinking a rose bud would be the best tip for this.

Now I need to go out and get one
© 2024 Moparts Forums