Moparts

Flywheel starter ring?

Posted By: Devilbrad

Flywheel starter ring? - 01/15/11 07:50 PM

Where can I buy just a starter ring for say a small block flywheel? Anyone know what the press fit specs are for these rings?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Flywheel starter ring? - 01/15/11 07:51 PM

Quote:

Where can I buy just a starter ring for say a small block flywheel? Anyone know what the press fit specs are for these rings?

Try your local NAPA store or maybe your local Dodge dealership
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Flywheel starter ring? - 01/15/11 07:53 PM

Have you thought about removing the one thats on it and flipping it over?

Re: Flywheel starter ring? - 01/15/11 07:55 PM

Quote:

Have you thought about removing the one thats on it and flipping it over?

I don't have one to begin with. I'm doing an experiment.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Flywheel starter ring? - 01/15/11 08:25 PM

I forgot to mention that the people I know who have change a ring gear put the flywheel or converter in a freezer overnight and put the ring gear in a oven just before installing it and warm the ring gear up to or over 300 F for twenty minutes or so, then they drop the ring gear on the flywheel or converter I have seen other guys them on also with no other prep than taking them out of the box and beating away Good luck

Re: Flywheel starter ring? - 01/15/11 08:37 PM

Quote:

I forgot to mention that the people I know who have change a ring gear put the flywheel or converter in a freezer overnight and put the ring gear in a oven just before installing it and warm the ring gear up to or over 300 F for twenty minutes or so, then they drop the ring gear on the flywheel or converter I have seen other guys them on also with no other prep than taking them out of the box and beating away Good luck

Yeah, I know its a interference fit, just need to find the specs. Let me tell you what I'm doing, LOL I'm gonna take a 143 tooth Magnum EFI flywheel with the crank sensor notches, knock its starter ring off, have the flywheel OD turned down, and install the 130 tooth LA ring so I can use aftermarket LA SFI approved (though with a hole cut in it for the crank sensor, it may not be legal anymore) bellhousings to swap to a TKO 600 or Tremec 3550 tranny. Wish me luck!
© 2024 Moparts Forums