Moparts

Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break?

Posted By: mshred

Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 05:31 PM

For a 500hp stroker motor going into a 4 speed car. I am hearing some say that 6000rpm is the demise of these scat cranks, and that they will definatly not last with 500hp. Anybody using these cranks? What do you think of them and what has been your experience? Ive tried searching on here, but the search engine is less than stellar

please share any opinions
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 05:44 PM

I've seen the cast Eagle cranks break with less HP on an automatic car.
Posted By: Hey19

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 06:10 PM

I am running a 4" Scat cast crank in my all steel 68 barracuda. It runs 10.90's with a 904. I have had it 3 years and it works fine. I race every other weekend. I shift at 6000-6200.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 06:21 PM

Thats what I have in the Duster and we've gone 10.52 @ 126 in the 3500 lbs car and so far no problems..
Posted By: Quicktree

by the time you get it balanced and finished you will have spent enough for a forged crank..
Posted By: DaKuda

Our track champion, 5 years running, runs a 408 with IndyBrocks and a cast 4" crank. Burns E85 and runs 6.48 in the 1/8th. Hes the guy thats at the track everyday its open so it has 100's of passes on the engine. They are friends of ours and I asked him the other day if they had taken the engine apart since building it. He said he might inspect it over the winter but it has 5 seasons on it now....
Posted By: DaKuda

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 06:25 PM

Quote:

by the time you get it balanced and finished you will have spent enough for a forged crank..

Dont you have to have the forged crank finished and balanced as well...

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 06:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

yea but most take less to balance from what I understand (heavy metal)
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 07:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

yea but most take less to balance from what I understand (heavy metal)

Mine took a slug 5/8 x 1.200 to balance that cost a whopping $23 bucks The balance job was $200

Overall he was very impressed with the crank....me too

Rickster
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 07:02 PM

Yes you balance regardless of the material, but depending on the rest of the rotating assembly Forged cranks generally require less if any mallory slugs to balance. Cast cranks need the added mallory to balance. Each slug is like $50 and a crank can use multiple. Add in some dollars for labor and quickly your budget cast crank costs nearly the same as a forged piece but is still inferior strength wise.

The biggest thing that scares me about your build is the 4 speed. A Cast crank will live at 500 horsepower, but its not going to like you dumping the clutch and so on. A little piece of mind is worth a couple extra bucks. Thats my opinion.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 07:07 PM

Quote:

Yes you balance regardless of the material, but depending on the rest of the rotating assembly Forged cranks generally require less if any mallory slugs to balance. Cast cranks need the added mallory to balance. Each slug is like $50 and a crank can use multiple. Add in some dollars for labor and quickly your budget cast crank costs nearly the same as a forged piece but is still inferior strength wise.

The biggest thing that scares me about your build is the 4 speed. A Cast crank will live at 500 horsepower, but its not going to like you dumping the clutch and so on. A little piece of mind is worth a couple extra bucks. Thats my opinion.

well said
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 07:11 PM

Quote:

EXACTLY........

Few years back i broke a cast 4 inch stroker crank. I had upgraded my combo from high 10's to 10.30's and it broke after about 50 passes, and ruined the rest of my season. I learned the hard way to do it right the first time.

Like i love saying, spend the extra 500 bucks and get the good piece the first time. In the whole scheme of building a motor, 500 bucks is just a small fraction of the total build, so why scrimp, just wait till you can do it right, then you wont ever have to wonder

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 07:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

EXACTLY........

Few years back i broke a cast 4 inch stroker crank. I had upgraded my combo from high 10's to 10.30's and it broke after about 50 passes, and ruined the rest of my season. I learned the hard way to do it right the first time.

Like i love saying, spend the extra 500 bucks and get the good piece the first time. In the whole scheme of building a motor, 500 bucks is just a small fraction of the total build, so why scrimp, just wait till you can do it right, then you wont ever have to wonder

but some have to learn the hard way.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 07:27 PM

The Scat cranks are great cranks for the money. I like them , use them a lot, BUT, it wouldnt be my choice for a 4 speed car.

Didnt you already buy a kit? I think I saw on BB Dart board you bought one from Coast High Performance ????
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 07:38 PM

Quote:

A valid opinion , if I do say so myself.
The four speed part is my concern too.
It " should " take anything you throw at it sounds a lot better than it " might " take anything you throw at it.
And a forged crank should take it.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 07:51 PM

I have used the cast 4" crank in 2 motors. At the end of the second season, one showed cracking and was replaced with a forged crank. No damage. The other crank showed no cracking occuring and was put back into service. The third race on the cast crank, #5/6 crank pin pulled out and alot of damage occured. These were dirt track motors and saw quite a bit of abuse. There weren't any forged cranks available when these motors were first built, but came available later. The forged crank is still being run after 8+ years. When i recieved the forged crank from MP, I had to turn the mains to correct size and out-of-round problems. I would have expected better with the "good" crank...

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 08:43 PM

hey guys,

the kit i bought is from coast high performance and it cost 1300 for probe forged pistons, rings, bearins, scat I beams, and the 9000 cast crank including internal balancing at no extra charge. The only reason im worried is because i saw someone on another forum snap one in two peices with a 4 speed...but, there are alot of guys with cast cranks it seems with good luck...seems like there is a good and bad...Im going to call coast high and see how much it will be to upgrade, but if its outta my range, im gonna cross my fingers and go for it with the cast

i was hoping to get real world experience with the cast and 4 speeds, but with the rarity of 4 speed racers, its kinda hard to.

thanks, and if anyone else wants to share i appreciate any and all input

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 08:49 PM

Well Scat and Coast High are closed till Monday,

but i just saw this on the scat site

http://www.scatcrankshafts.com/scattechpdfs/Break_the_Nose.pdf

hopefully because of the internal balancing it may help my cause...I just find it hard to understand why they would sell the cast crank in the 4" arm if it really is a weak point

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 08:50 PM

Quote:

hey guys,

the kit i bought is from coast high performance and it cost 1300 for probe forged pistons, rings, bearins, scat I beams, and the 9000 cast crank including internal balancing at no extra charge. The only reason im worried is because i saw someone on another forum snap one in two peices with a 4 speed...but, there are alot of guys with cast cranks it seems with good luck...seems like there is a good and bad...Im going to call coast high and see how much it will be to upgrade, but if its outta my range, im gonna cross my fingers and go for it with the cast

i was hoping to get real world experience with the cast and 4 speeds, but with the rarity of 4 speed racers, its kinda hard to.

I would be worried with the 4 speed nad just a note, for $2400 you could have had a forged stroker kit.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 08:52 PM

I'd also put 500 hp at the limit, my 511 horse 427" small block Cobra has a cast crank with a 5 speed, but in a light car it's almost impossible to load the motor up very hard on the street.

The heavier the car the more resistence/load you have countering the inherent twisting motion of the crank, if you get into a detonation situation under full-hook/high load and bad things can happen. If you're going to run on street tires I think 500 is safe in an A body, but if you're running Drag Radials or better and really plan on thrashing it around invest in a little extra piece of mind.

As said by the time you balance a cast crank you don't wind up saving much over a forging

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 08:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

hey guys,

I would be worried with the 4 speed nad just a note, for $2400 you could have had a forged stroker kit.

1000 dollars more aint in the picture lol

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 08:57 PM

Quote:

I'd also put 500 hp at the limit, my 511 horse 427" small block Cobra has a cast crank with a 5 speed, but in a light car it's almost impossible to load the motor up very hard on the street.

The heavier the car the more resistence/load you have countering the inherent twisting motion of the crank, if you get into a detonation situation under full-hook/high load and bad things can happen. If you're going to run on street tires I think 500 is safe in an A body, but if you're running Drag Radials or better and really plan on thrashing it around invest in a little extra piece of mind.

As said by the time you balance a cast crank you don't wind up saving much over a forging

the balance job is free on the cast crank, im not paying for the internal balance

one question i have also is, in strength, would the stock cast crank be stronger than the scat? we all know that there are many PUSHING stock cast cranks hard in 360's, im wondering if the scat is more fragile

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 09:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the balance job is free on the cast crank, im not paying for the internal balance

one question i have also is, in strength, would the stock cast crank be stronger than the scat? we all know that there are many PUSHING stock cast cranks hard in 360's, im wondering if the scat is more fragile

I trust the stock 360 crank more than I would the others. I do push mine pretty hard and know one day what could happen. now I don't know who made the early mopar cranks but they are pretty strong for what they are.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 09:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I trust the stock 360 crank more than I would the others. I do push mine pretty hard and know one day what could happen. now I don't know who made the early mopar cranks but they are pretty strong for what they are.

when you say made the early mopar cranks, im assuming a not stock in the block one, but a mopar performance crank? if so, I have seen many say scat made the cranks, but im not 100% sure...I know scat makes the cast cranks in the MP crate engines

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 09:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

when you say made the early mopar cranks, im assuming a not stock in the block one, but a mopar performance crank? if so, I have seen many say scat made the cranks, but im not 100% sure...I know scat makes the cast cranks in the MP crate engines

no bone stock cranks made in the 70s, I doubt they were made by scat I think the chinese were still farming rice back then.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 09:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

no bone stock cranks made in the 70s, I doubt they were made by scat I think the chinese were still farming rice back then.

LOL, well if thats what you referring to, then yes i would agree scat wasnt making them lol

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 09:23 PM

one thing that makes it easier on mine is I run very light weight pistons on eagle H beam rods. I have shifted it at 7200 rpms running 1040s in my challenger.
Posted By: cbarracuda

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 10:45 PM

my cast crank was internaly balanced, it didnīt need heavy metal because of my light weight components. it lasted 2 years of racing, i use to take this up to 7200 rpm but I beleive my trans brake snaped the crank into two pieces between number 7 and 8 cylinders. The motor was still runing, no damage to the block. The two rods kept the crank together. To rebuild my motor I used the same block, two new rods and a scat forged crank.
At the time I built the motor, I didnīt have the money to go forged, so I build my motor with what I could aford, not expecting it to last for a long time however I enjoyed my car for 2 years
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/15/11 10:53 PM

Tom at Scat has told me on more than one occasion that the sb mopar cast crank they sell will handle 600HP. This does mean with no detonation.

I believe it, however...I won't use the cast crank in a trans brake application, and I recommend if your going to build more than 500HP AND use a 4 speed not to use the cast crank.
NOS is another no-go for the cast crank IMO...it really depends on the application, intended use and how well the owner takes care of it/drives it.

If it's a driver that might see the track once or twice a year with a 4 speed or small NOS kit and it's used properly it'll last a long time.

Be HONEST with yourself about how you will use the engine and then make the choice that makes sense.
Easy!!
Brian

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 12:05 AM

The big question is this..........would you rather save until you have another 1,000.00 or see 2,700.00 laying on the asphalt in a puddle of oil under your car ?
Factor in block machining and hope and pray it doesn't spank a head and wreck something upstairs , you will have the potential to ruin a 4,000.00 bill in no time.
That is if it is kind and scatters in the first 30 feet of your pass.
Once you're out a couple hundred feet or better , you have a bit of momentum working against you too............and you bring the other lane into play too.
Scat recommends a lot of things.........and I can't think of a single car running a dry sump or blower that uses a cast crank.
But I'll bet they are out there.
As mentioned in other posts , a REALISTIC look at what you are going to be doing with it is first.
To be fast , you need to be safe.
And smart doesn't hurt either.........actually makes the first two a lot easier.
And that gem of wisdom is coming from a real dummy , so take it for what it's worth.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 12:07 AM

Quote:

The big question is this..........would you rather save until you have another 1,000.00 or see 2,700.00 laying on the asphalt in a puddle of oil under your car ?
Factor in block machining and hope and pray it doesn't spank a head and wreck something upstairs , you will have the potential to ruin a 4,000.00 bill in no time.
That is if it is kind and scatters in the first 30 feet of your pass.
Once you're out a couple hundred feet or better , you have a bit of momentum working against you too............and you bring the other lane into play too.
Scat recommends a lot of things.........and I can't think of a single car running a dry sump or blower that uses a cast crank.
But I'll bet they are out there.
As mentioned in other posts , a REALISTIC look at what you are going to be doing with it is first.
To be fast , you need to be safe.
And smart doesn't hurt either.........actually makes the first two a lot easier.
And that gem of wisdom is coming from a real dummy , so take it for what it's worth.

I appreciate the words of wisdom guys, and I will say, I am going to step up to the forged...ive thought about it lots, and im only 21- even though its alot of money, its the last time i want to do this for a while, so i mine as well suck it up now to not worry about it later

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 12:30 AM

Good call.
My biggest fear is that my motor I am currently doing will scatter , because I have sunk a lot of money in it.
It has taken me a long time and I haven't cut any corners , so if it does , at least I will be able to look in the mirror and know that it wasn't my wallet's fault.
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 01:04 AM

I had looked into this ~15 yrs ago, and the 360 crank allegedly came from 2 suppliers. IIRC the one reputed to be a bit stronger was marked CFD, for Central Foundry Division from the General. Not sure if the other was in-house or not, but still strong.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 05:11 AM

The SCAT crank will take more HP than the stock 360 cast crank. The stock crank has oil grooves(stress risers) all the way around the rod journals. The minimum diameter is significantly smaller on the stock crank than the radiused journal on the SCAT cast crank so there is just plain more meat there and NO stress riser. SCAT also uses better metal, cast steel VS cast iron so the SCAT is much stronger than the factory 360 crank. Also since the SCAT crank is a 4 inch stroke you will end up with a much lighter piston even if the motors make the SAME HP and it will turn fewer RPM at the same HP so ther is much less load on the crank. Balancing is not more expensive if you externally balance it and beleive it or not there are still a lot of motors out there that last a long time that are externally balanced.

If you are useing a SCAT I beam and reasonably light pistons you will be fine at 500 hp. The stock cranks worked fine for years with heavy stock rods and heavy TRW style pistons and the SCAT crank is significantly stronger. If you notice the guys in this thread (and most other threads) that have experianced cast crank failure were doing stuff they were not supposed to do like breaking trannys and running them in powerful dirt track cars and nitrous...

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 05:19 PM

Quote:

The SCAT crank will take more HP than the stock 360 cast crank. The stock crank has oil grooves(stress risers) all the way around the rod journals. The minimum diameter is significantly smaller on the stock crank than the radiused journal on the SCAT cast crank so there is just plain more meat there and NO stress riser. SCAT also uses better metal, cast steel VS cast iron so the SCAT is much stronger than the factory 360 crank. Also since the SCAT crank is a 4 inch stroke you will end up with a much lighter piston even if the motors make the SAME HP and it will turn fewer RPM at the same HP so ther is much less load on the crank. Balancing is not more expensive if you externally balance it and beleive it or not there are still a lot of motors out there that last a long time that are externally balanced.

If you are useing a SCAT I beam and reasonably light pistons you will be fine at 500 hp. The stock cranks worked fine for years with heavy stock rods and heavy TRW style pistons and the SCAT crank is significantly stronger. If you notice the guys in this thread (and most other threads) that have experianced cast crank failure were doing stuff they were not supposed to do like breaking trannys and running them in powerful dirt track cars and nitrous...

Hey man, you make very good points. I had thought the same thing that the scat stuff would be stronger than the old stuff (only makes sense i thought?) but others say nay...In all honesty though, i think even if i might be okay, atleast if i upgrade to forged the worry about possible crank breakage and the rest of my motor going with it is out of my mind (although still possible i guess).

I still have to call Coast High though and see if they will refund the kit for me...that may be a challenge in its self..crossing my fingers now

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 05:52 PM

If you have the kit, use it and do not worry about it. You are talking street car with 4 speed, you will be ok. My car is a drag car with 33 inches slick and 9 second time slips, trans brake. I will use the scat crank in a street aplication all day long and not worry about it.

Note: the trans brake is worse than 4 speed. Like dave says because of the radius, the scatt scrank is stronger than any factory 360

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 06:00 PM

Quote:

If you have the kit, use it and do not worry about it. You are talking street car with 4 speed, you will be ok. My car is a drag car with 33 inches slick and 9 second time slips, trans brake. I will use the scat crank in a street aplication all day long and not worry about it.

Note: the trans brake is worse than 4 speed. Like dave says because of the radius, the scatt scrank is stronger than any factory 360

Plans are to only up the power from here on out though, and id rather have a rotating assembly that i wont have to worry about (block will be next obviously)...Let's put it this way, im convinced to going forged now, lets not reverse that lol

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 06:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Plans are to only up the power from here on out though, and id rather have a rotating assembly that i wont have to worry about (block will be next obviously)...Let's put it this way, im convinced to going forged now, lets not reverse that lol

you are on the right track, it's easy to say it will be fine when it's not your money. if it was a street car only I would use it. but I bet you want to go to the track with it.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

you are on the right track, it's easy to say it will be fine when it's not your money. if it was a street car only I would use it. but I bet you want to go to the track with it.

yes, it will see the track hopefully atleast a couple times this year, and im hoping if i can get a truck and trailer for the next summer (2012) I can possibly run the 11.90 index class at my local strip...I love racing, sooo much fun!

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 06:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

if your plans include upgading the power, put the good stuff in the shortblock

My situation is different....it's just a li'l street cruiser/brawler...lol with no intensions of upgrading

Rickster
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 06:10 PM

I have went 11teens with mine no problems but If I could turn back time I would have done a forged kit.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 06:49 PM

nevermind

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 06:56 PM

http://flatlanderracing.com/scatsr-chryssbforged.html
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 07:08 PM

Bigger may not always be Better....But Bigger IS ALWAYS MORE!!

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 08:11 PM

Don't get me wrong, if you are thinking about ever wanting to go faster than you should get the forged crank, always build a solid foundation first, than upgrade the top end later. I just wanted to say the cast cranks are not time bombs and are stronger than stock cast witch were better than most manufactures cast cranks.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 08:40 PM

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, if you are thinking about ever wanting to go faster than you should get the forged crank, always build a solid foundation first, than upgrade the top end later. I just wanted to say the cast cranks are not time bombs and are stronger than stock cast witch were better than most manufactures cast cranks.

I think much over 550hp. they are time bombs it's been proven several times right here on this board. and I'll keep my factory 360 crank over the chinese pieces any day.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 08:46 PM

the forged is olso chinese

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 08:48 PM

Quote:

true but better than the cast. and some are better than others.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 08:51 PM

Quote:

Yep and I ran a chinese forged crank in my 900+ hp roadster on a brake 1.12 60' times and 7500 at the stripe w/zero issues

Rickster

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 09:04 PM

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 10:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think much over 550hp. they are time bombs it's been proven several times right here on this board. and I'll keep my factory 360 crank over the chinese pieces any day.

Not too bad for a crank rated to 500 than huh?

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/16/11 10:40 PM

Quote:

All of them ????
Callies is domestic and from everything I read , will be far closer to right as shipped.
B.R.C. ?
Bryant ?
I've only covered the first three letters of the alphabet and you have three nice choices.
It does pay to shop around and do some homework.........especially when buying big ticket items.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/17/11 12:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

All of them ????
Callies is domestic and from everything I read , will be far closer to right as shipped.
B.R.C. ?
Bryant ?
I've only covered the first three letters of the alphabet and you have three nice choices.
It does pay to shop around and do some homework.........especially when buying big ticket items.

I have no problem going up to the scat forged...just because its chinese doesnt mean jack to me...they check out good the way they are shipped from the research I am doing, and they are significantly cheaper than a comparable american made offerring...in fact, i thought callies forges overseas as well? dont quote me, i thought i read that somewhere though

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/17/11 12:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All of them ????
B.R.C. ?
Bryant ?

I have no problem going up to the scat forged...just because its chinese doesnt mean jack to me...they check out good the way they are shipped from the research I am doing, and they are significantly cheaper than a comparable american made offerring...in fact, i thought callies forges overseas as well? dont quote me, i thought i read that somewhere though

check with Dan on a K1 not much more than the rest and probably the best of the chinese crap.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/17/11 12:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All of them ????
B.R.C. ?
Bryant ?

check with Dan on a K1 not much more than the rest and probably the best of the chinese crap.

dan?

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/17/11 12:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All of them ????
B.R.C. ?
Bryant ?

Callies chinese "Compstar" line kicks ass....but nothing for Mopars

Rickster

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/17/11 12:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All of them ????
B.R.C. ?
Bryant ?

dan?

Dram, performance only on the board

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/17/11 03:19 AM

I have heard good things about K-1 stuff.
Callies Dragonslayer has a S.B. offering with Chev rod journals.
Decent priced American part.
Check out Competition Products to get an idea of what's out there.
They carry a bunch of different brands and their prices are a baseline.
I wouldn't hesitate to contact a forum member for your best deal.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/17/11 03:50 AM

Interesting post I have a 4" cast steel scat crank that's been sittin in the shop for a few years, every time I think about another build I think about using it but end up forkin out for a forged unit, some of the Chevy 400 block guys swear by these cast steel stroker cranks even @ 600+ hp turning 7k, I don't know if they are just lucky or crazy but I have not seen one fail, These engines are used for mud racing so the lack of traction may be a factor
Posted By: stage3

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/17/11 04:12 AM

I bought my crank from OHIO CRANKSHAFT and it has a part# P5007258 which I believe is a MOPAR PERFORMANCE part. Is this any good, still in box.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/17/11 04:27 AM

Have it checked by a good machinist.
I have read of an issue with taper on journals with them , but it may have been an isolated incident.
One sure way to find out , and even then , having a crank cut .010 .010 and indexed and equalized strokes isn't terribly expensive compared to stepping up to a " big " name crankshaft.
I had some concerns with my BRC crank ( with the radii and some slight scratches from poor assembly I think. )and had it done up by a pro for around 200.00.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/17/11 04:37 AM

Gonna call BPE tommorow and see if they offer a kit based on their cranks, possibly one of the 4.125 or 4.250 cranks with 360 mains

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/17/11 11:12 AM

Quote:

Gonna call BPE tommorow and see if they offer a kit based on their cranks, possibly one of the 4.125 or 4.250 cranks with 360 mains

better have a good block
Posted By: patrick

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/17/11 02:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

EXACTLY........

to the cast crank's credit, B422W5, how many years did you run the cast crank, externally balanced in your 3400lb duster running 10.75-10.80? IIRC yours was a MP crank, which was made by SCAT...and I'd imagine your drag strip launching with slicks and a high stall converter would be as brutal, if not more so, than street driving a 4 speed with street tires.

as far as factory cast vs. SCAT 4" cast, hotroddave makes some good points, although the factory cast cranks are ductile (nodular) iron, so the continuous phase of the material is steel, not graphite, like it is in grey cast iron. the lack of filleted radii is offset by the fact it has more journal overlap due to the shorter stroke.

if you have no plans for further upgrades, I'd just run the cast crank, or even if you do have plans for further upgrades, it might be more cost effective to build a whole new motor in the future, because soon you're going to get close to the limits of the factory block....

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/17/11 02:21 PM

Quote:

unless it's an EAGLE 4" cast crank

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/17/11 04:40 PM

Patrick that is a good point about the cast crank giving up about the same as the stock block.

I have seen the stock crank break right along the groove on the journal but never seen a SCAT break on the overlap point. Mabey some of the guys who broke them can post up pics
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/18/11 08:12 AM

Yes, those Eagle cast cranks are good for propping the door open. In my case I could prop two different doors open...
For me, any combination that I buy a crankshaft, I'm using forged. If I'm rerunning a stock crank, I'll run whichever. Be it forged or cast. Though I did take two 440's apart so I could have the forged crank out of the one instead of using the cast crank out of the one I was building (plus it was a 4spd, needed the pilot bushing hole)
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/19/11 04:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

EXACTLY........

to the cast crank's credit, B422W5, how many years did you run the cast crank, externally balanced in your 3400lb duster running 10.75-10.80? IIRC yours was a MP crank, which was made by SCAT...and I'd imagine your drag strip launching with slicks and a high stall converter would be as brutal, if not more so, than street driving a 4 speed with street tires.

as far as factory cast vs. SCAT 4" cast, hotroddave makes some good points, although the factory cast cranks are ductile (nodular) iron, so the continuous phase of the material is steel, not graphite, like it is in grey cast iron. the lack of filleted radii is offset by the fact it has more journal overlap due to the shorter stroke.

if you have no plans for further upgrades, I'd just run the cast crank, or even if you do have plans for further upgrades, it might be more cost effective to build a whole new motor in the future, because soon you're going to get close to the limits of the factory block....

Actually, i didnt run that cast crank as long as you seem to remember.

I had the 416 built by Hensley, very mild. Ran it first year and it went 11.70's without that many passes at all. Over the winter upgraded a few things and it went 10.70,and 80's. The third season i put w5 heads on the shortblock and it let go( flat tappet, 11.8 compression. I probably had 150-170 passes on it when it let go that third year part way through. And as i said the first year it was ultra conservative. So not that many passes with real good power, and a good bit without much power at all( 500 horsepower maybe)

My point is, spend the money and get a good crank, and only have to do it once.

BTW, ALL the above passes were off the foot without a 2 step. I only went to a brake when i put the X block roller motor together after the crank broke in the above 416.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? - 01/19/11 06:14 PM

my mistake, I thought you were running it 3 or 4 years before you upgraded to the W5's.....
© 2024 Moparts Forums