Moparts

caltracs and stock leaf springs

Posted By: 6PACMAC

caltracs and stock leaf springs - 01/15/11 01:37 PM

Can caltracs be used with stock springs? Or do some leafs need to be removed? Or do you have to buy the calvert split leaf spring? I'm way behind the curve, just using pinion snubber and stock hp or superstocks in my different 4spd b-bodys. Also Any axle tube twisting trouble with the caltracs?
Posted By: 10secGTX

Re: caltracs and stock leaf springs - 01/15/11 03:34 PM

Lots of questions if you plan on racing the car u need to go with the mono leafs cal tracs are meant to work with those.
They will not work with SS springs the two will work against each other.

As far as axle twist that depends on you if you race it then you should beef up the spring perches (sp) that should help with the twist
Posted By: Crizila

Re: caltracs and stock leaf springs - 01/15/11 03:56 PM

Quote:

Can caltracs be used with stock springs? Or do some leafs need to be removed? Or do you have to buy the calvert split leaf spring? I'm way behind the curve, just using pinion snubber and stock hp or superstocks in my different 4spd b-bodys. Also Any axle tube twisting trouble with the caltracs?

They should work fine with your stock leaf springs - and you probably won't have to change the perches. If you do stay with your stock perches, you might want to consider boxing in the open ends for a little more strength. If you go with the their single leaf springs, you will probably have to weld on new perches as the pinion angle will change - over 8 degrees when I did my late B. If so, I suggest you purchase their purches . Also when I did mine, I went with their "standard" height springs ( they make a +1" and - 1" spring ). My car sat 1" higher with their "standard" height spring. Take that with a grain of salt though as there are a lot of variables with that - how beat out your old springs are, car actual weight, etc. I've only been out once since I made the change from a snubber and front section clipped together and so far only saw about a .004 60' change. I was hoping for a tenth. Still gotta play with them a bit though ( preload and tire pressures ) and my car only runs high 11's. I'm sure a faster car would show much more improvement.

Attached picture 6418764-caltrac10.jpg

Re: caltracs and stock leaf springs - 01/15/11 04:03 PM

Here is a pic of my stock "iso" system with stock spring perches. They only go about 2/3'rds around the axle and are open on the ends.

Attached picture 6418772-ISOsystem2.jpg

Re: caltracs and stock leaf springs - 01/15/11 04:05 PM

Calvert perches. They go 180 around the axle and have closed ends.

Attached picture 6418778-calvertperch.jpg
Posted By: Eric

Re: caltracs and stock leaf springs - 01/15/11 04:41 PM

I used stock springs on my Duster...1.40 60ft with a 10.60-70 ET...Worked well for me..I took all the springs apart and put the stronger arches in the right side. I also boxed the perches..
© 2024 Moparts Forums