Moparts

reverse flow cooling plates,

Posted By: SG duster

reverse flow cooling plates, - 01/13/11 08:08 AM

I see indy are advertising reverse flow cooling plates that use a chev elec water water pump, obvisously they cool the heads first,whos using one and do they work
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: reverse flow cooling plates, - 01/13/11 06:25 PM

We used one on the enginemasters entry and it allowed us to run a 12.2 compression ratio , using .035 quench , on 91 octane fuel with no detonation. The only issue is filling the system, you can have an air pocket , add a bleeder valve at the highest point on both heads and you shouldn't have a problem .
Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Re: reverse flow cooling plates, - 01/13/11 06:33 PM

I've used the INDY plate, but I like the reverse cooling Meziere pump better. Higher flow, nothing GM and it has handled 1000 HP engines with no problem. Works great!

But be aware that purging any reverse cooling system is difficult. Air get trapped at the back of the heads. I even have drilled small bleed holes in the head, and I installed a NPT plug later.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: reverse flow cooling plates, - 01/13/11 06:43 PM

Quote:

I've used the INDY plate, but I like the reverse cooling Meziere pump better. Higher flow, nothing GM and it has handled 1000 HP engines with no problem. Works great!

But be aware that purging any reverse cooling system is difficult. Air get trapped at the back of the heads. I even have drilled small bleed holes in the head, and I installed a NPT plug later.

Forgot about the Meziere pump , that would be the choice. indy plates wereall that was available at the time we used it .
Posted By: SG duster

Re: reverse flow cooling plates, - 01/14/11 12:01 AM

exactly where did you drill?

I did a quick search of Meziere's site, since Im using an engine plate this looks like the way to go rather than a indy plate & more gaskets
Posted By: moderncylinder

Re: reverse flow cooling plates, - 01/14/11 12:08 AM

i have two units in an industrial building, 3600 sq ft,,, the guy in the front uit has a laser,,, he made me some plates out of thin steel that look like the water pump gaskets but have round holes like the front of the block,, made the lower hole smaller to try to pressurize system by having a larger inlet that outlet in and out of the block,, i never have any issues with loosing prime when filling the radiator anymore.

once in awhile i use to have to jack the car up as high as it went with the pump on,, or just keep squeezing the rad hoses
Posted By: ProSport

Re: reverse flow cooling plates, - 01/14/11 01:30 AM

I don't have reverse cooling but I always fill my cooling system with the Airlift 550000, works great everytime and no air pockets.

Attached picture 6416002-Airlift550000.jpg
Posted By: rowin4

Re: reverse flow cooling plates, - 01/14/11 01:51 AM

ProSport, might be a little off subject but how does that airlift 555000 work. You put air into the system to get rid of the air?
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: reverse flow cooling plates, - 01/14/11 01:57 AM

Id say it pulls a vacuum, never had a problem with air pockets, as long as the radiator is above the water level in the block. But I have heard people having trouble though.
Posted By: chryco

Re: reverse flow cooling plates, - 01/14/11 02:52 AM

I have the Indy / Mezziere set up and it works great on my 557" 12.5 :1 Hemi . On a hot (84deg) humid( 74%) day it saw the low side of 180 deg. As for the "bubble" , I just jack the car up so the "low " spot is gone. No problem !
Chryco

Attached picture 6416217-IMG_7693.1.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: reverse flow cooling plates, - 01/14/11 06:24 AM

I've used the Meziere reverse flow pump on a number of dyno engines without any issues. Another option is to use a remote water pump and then water manifolds that bolt to the front of the block. Here is a set of manifolds that I make for that purpose.

Attached picture 6416708-AR245jesel.jpg
Posted By: ramcharger1964

Re: reverse flow cooling plates, - 01/14/11 05:58 PM

Do you guys think a reverse flow pump would work for my setup??? Have a Diamondback 496,440-1's, crossram w 800 Eddy's, 12:1 comp, auto trans, pusher HHR fan and alum rad. I cant seem to keep it under 200 deg, and often it sees 210..........
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: reverse flow cooling plates, - 01/15/11 05:59 AM

Quote:

Do you guys think a reverse flow pump would work for my setup??? Have a Diamondback 496,440-1's, crossram w 800 Eddy's, 12:1 comp, auto trans, pusher HHR fan and alum rad. I cant seem to keep it under 200 deg, and often it sees 210..........

210F won't hurt the motor, it does make the owner/builders worry a lot though Are you using straight water or antifreeze mixed with water? Straight water with water wetter does run a little cooler than 20% antifreeze and water, noticeably()SP?) cooler than a 50% water antifreeze mix What pressure cap are you using also?
Posted By: ramcharger1964

Re: reverse flow cooling plates, - 01/17/11 09:27 PM

Thanks Cab. Not sure on the cap temp but I am using water wetter with straight water.
At the track or on the street is usually keeps below 200 - but when I drive it home I have to go up a 2 mile gravel road(verrrry slowly) and thats when it get up to 210 and wants to start detonating....

Also - I have heard people say that you should NOT run a shroud with a pusher fan??? Is this true?
© 2024 Moparts Forums