Moparts

removing crash bars?

Posted By: juicedcuda

removing crash bars? - 01/13/11 12:20 AM

What is the best way to remove the door crash bars on an e-body? Are they welded in?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: removing crash bars? - 01/13/11 12:27 AM

I use a 4" cut off wheel and just get as close as you
can to the edges and just cut the bar itself, I'm
pretty sure they are welded in but it would be right
at the flange(where the door skin is crimped)
Posted By: kilroy

Re: removing crash bars? - 01/13/11 12:39 AM

On my 73 charger I couldnt get them out with out ruining the paint on my door.

1. Drill out spot welds at front and rear of door were door skins pinch over. Should be six to eight per front and rear pinches. This will release crash beam.

2. Cut into 3rds to remove out opening on inside of door. I used my torch because couldn't get a cutting apparatus inside the door.

I took 38lbs (total for both doors out)!

If you need more info ask.

I will say that the hole where I drilled out I never have filled. THough you cant see them from outside they are fairly large 1/2" or so.
Posted By: cuda72

Re: removing crash bars? - 01/13/11 12:40 AM

How much weight savings can be had by cutting these bars out? I know when I was restoring my '72 Cuda that the doors were a lot heavier than I would have thought.
Posted By: kilroy

Re: removing crash bars? - 01/13/11 12:50 AM

Quote:

How much weight savings can be had by cutting these bars out? I know when I was restoring my '72 Cuda that the doors were a lot heavier than I would have thought.

See my above post.
Posted By: 1DGEMAN

Re: removing crash bars? - 01/13/11 02:20 AM

I drilled the spotwelds out and then cut the beams in half. They came right out.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: removing crash bars? - 01/13/11 03:29 AM

I also cut mine out after the car was painted and lettered. I drilled out the spot welds and cut the bars in pieces to remove. After the spot welds were drilled, I slid a thin piece of aluminum between the bar and the door skin, to protect the paint and lettering. Some times you will find some spots of adhesive (1" dollops) between the skin and beam, cut these with a thin wire.
Take your time and you will be OK. I found it easier to remove the door to do this. Your door hinges will thank you.
Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: removing crash bars? - 01/13/11 04:00 AM

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: removing crash bars? - 01/13/11 04:13 AM

I have to pull them out of my Rampage in the next
few days... I'm waiting to see if I can find another
door first... if not I'll fix this door and pull the bars
© 2024 Moparts Forums