Moparts

Gear Drive VS Belt Drive

Posted By: Blucuda413

Gear Drive VS Belt Drive - 01/09/11 07:24 PM

Building a 528 14-71 blown hemi. Which is best to use in this situation a gear or belt drive?? I've had very good service out of gear drives in my swmallblocks. Hemi will not be a street engine but will not be max'd out either.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Gear Drive VS Belt Drive - 01/09/11 07:28 PM

Sounds suspiciously like a TA/D arrangement.
What do they like ?
I am no authority , but think the gear makes more sense based the layout.
Chucking the big belt could make things worse with an open belt drive and I am not aware of a closed one for a Hemi.
Posted By: BeEtLeJuIcE !

Re: Gear Drive VS Belt Drive - 01/09/11 07:38 PM

A gear drive will transmit harmonics UP TO the valve train ....a belt will not.

If $$$ are not an issue ..I would go with a belt.
Posted By: chryco

Re: Gear Drive VS Belt Drive - 01/09/11 08:07 PM

Belts break/stretch.... gears don`t .

Rock ....Paper ....Scissors .......................

Attached picture 6406908-MVC-020S.jpg
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Gear Drive VS Belt Drive - 01/09/11 08:30 PM

When i put my blower on i took the cam belt drive off for safety. Blower belts can rip frey or whatever.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Gear Drive VS Belt Drive - 01/10/11 12:21 AM

Quote:

Building a 528 14-71 blown hemi. Which is best to use in this situation a gear or belt drive?? I've had very good service out of gear drives in my swmallblocks. Hemi will not be a street engine but will not be max'd out either.

I have not heard a 14:71 driven on the street with mufflers so I'm not sure how much noise they will make, probally depends if you underdrive or overdrive it My point is that the gear drives make noise, the blowers make noise and some people, especially the street car people are impress by both visual and audible inputs I have built several blown 426 Street Hemi, ran them on the engine dyno but not in the cars, one was a Motech EFI with a Littlefield stage 3 10:71 499 C.I. all alulmium KB block and the other was another stage 3 Littefield with a set of 1050 CFM Carb Shop blower domiator carbs,484 C.I. new iron mopar 426 block, both surged around 600 RPM hgh to low at idle at first until I tuned the surge out of them I had to tune the surging back into both motors for the owners after the dyno testing
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Gear Drive VS Belt Drive - 01/10/11 12:24 AM

Cab, it is "NOT" going to be a street engine.

Re: Gear Drive VS Belt Drive - 01/10/11 12:27 AM

Quote:

Cab, it is "NOT" going to be a street engine.

Oops In that case go with the belt drive I have a Jesel on my 527 bracket motor, it wouldn't be hard to make a thin cover to keep debris out of the belt

Re: Gear Drive VS Belt Drive - 01/10/11 12:59 AM

Quote:

Hemi will not be a street engine but will not be max'd out either.

On a milder blower motor ... I would not worry about shredding belts and having that trash get-into a cam belt-drive.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Gear Drive VS Belt Drive - 01/10/11 02:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

On a milder blower motor ... I would not worry about shredding belts and having that trash get-into a cam belt-drive.

Our new BAE motor came with a gear drive so I assume that's what they recommend. I have it in my bedroom. Looks real expensive.
Posted By: moeflo

Re: Gear Drive VS Belt Drive - 01/10/11 02:44 AM

I've got an old Engine Masters mag around here somewhere. They tested the chains vs. belts, vs. gear drives. The gear drives were equal, or slightly better on the dyno. With magazine politics, I wouldn't bet the farm. But gear drives seem to be the standard on blown hemis. One less thing to worry about...

Re: Gear Drive VS Belt Drive - 01/10/11 02:52 AM

Quote:

Our new BAE motor came with a gear drive so I assume that's what they recommend. I have it in my bedroom. Looks real expensive.

Since I don't have a BAE motor ...and have no plans on it ... I ... to your knowledge of the situation ..

Re: Gear Drive VS Belt Drive - 01/10/11 05:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Be careful of what you do with that thing in your bedroom I'll tell Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums