Moparts

Trans Fluid Flow ?

Posted By: rebel

Trans Fluid Flow ? - 01/04/11 12:36 PM

which gear would have the transmission flowing the most fluid around its' casing, while in idle & stationary with a LBA VB, P N or safe N?
i'm looking to make something i can use in my pit to help chill the trans down between rounds as we get closer to the finals. i can cool the case so i just need the fluid flowing to maximise heat exchange rate. so which gear will best the best heat exchanger?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Trans Fluid Flow ? - 01/04/11 02:42 PM

In a 727 you check the fluid in N because its flowing
not in park so I would say N
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Trans Fluid Flow ? - 01/04/11 05:10 PM

My 98 Ram Truck owners manual tells you to put the trans in Neutral if the trans temp light comes on and bring rpm up some. It has a 46RE, which is a direct decendant of the 727.
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: Trans Fluid Flow ? - 01/04/11 06:24 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your clutches and bands are functioning properly..........most of the heat generated would be in the torque converter (via oil shear)?

That would make the above statement from an owners manual sensible. Cycling oil through the converter, pump, cooler and out the pressure bypass would shed heat better than applying it to the clutches and servo's where it would bank heat longer.

I would consider a remote cooler with a dedicated fan module.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Trans Fluid Flow ? - 01/04/11 07:06 PM

I have a hole in the bellhousing that I can use a garden sprayer or hose to spray water onto the torque converter while running the motor in nuetral for the late rounds
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Trans Fluid Flow ? - 01/04/11 07:12 PM

Good idea. I was just thinking you could use a windshield washer pump and make it a pushbutton operation.

Re: Trans Fluid Flow ? - 01/04/11 09:18 PM

Quote:

I have a hole in the bellhousing that I can use a garden sprayer or hose to spray water onto the torque converter while running the motor in nuetral for the late rounds

applying water to the trans & converter is what i had in mind. i have a garden tap in my pit space so was considering using it to do an extra cool as you said. i already have a fan assisted trans cooler but the heat catches up in the later rounds.

Re: Trans Fluid Flow ? - 01/10/11 05:34 AM

well i made this set up & used it on the weekend with great results. this is a mock up on my knackered housing but as you can see, 2 pipes squirt directly onto the converter & the others squirt up under the CSR shield. with the incoming line extended to the side of the car with a quick connect garden fitting, hook up the water & within 2 mins the temp has dropped 50*f with the trans in N & the engine ideling. cooler trans fluid at the start gives me better 60's so with this system i'm staging with the trans temp on my return line from the cooler at 170*f.

i have 2 1/8 holes squirting at the pan so when the water is off & disconnected the system drains fully before we get back on the track.
© 2024 Moparts Forums