Moparts

Trailer roof vents

Posted By: Bigcube

Trailer roof vents - 01/03/11 01:59 AM

I found a nice screen size hole in the roof of my trailer today I found the plastic dome in the back yard and it's pretty well disintegrated (I'm guessing from the sun?!?) Has anyone replaced one? Can I just get a new plastic dome and rivet it to the alum frame?
Posted By: SB412DUSTER

Re: Trailer roof vents - 01/03/11 02:04 AM

I have not had to replace mine, but a few friend have. they have bought used ones from camer supply places, the camper places take them off when installing A/C units sp they have some left over and sell them cheap or give them away
Posted By: silverfish

Re: Trailer roof vents - 01/03/11 02:12 AM

Yes you can get just the dome at any camper dealership that has a parts department. There are 5 or 6 diff hinge styles though so take whats left of your dome with you when you go that way they can match it up with correct lid. There is no other way for them to know without your old lid. Otherwise you will have to replace the whole assembly. They are $10-$16 depending on which hinge style you have. I manage a rv dealership is why I know this.
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Trailer roof vents - 01/03/11 02:21 AM

Try this repair...

Or maybe a blue tarp and an old tire...

Sorry...I could not resist!! Just kidding!!

Re: Trailer roof vents - 01/03/11 02:33 AM

Quote:

Yes you can get just the dome at any camper dealership that has a parts department. There are 5 or 6 diff hinge styles though so take whats left of your dome with you when you go that way they can match it up with correct lid. There is no other way for them to know without your old lid. Otherwise you will have to replace the whole assembly. They are $10-$16 depending on which hinge style you have. I manage a rv dealership is why I know this.

Thanks, I'll have to make some calls tomorrow. I have most of the old one.
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Trailer roof vents - 01/03/11 02:52 AM

This is what I put on mine....did away with the crank up vents....they seemed to vaporize in the hot California sun.....these things work awesome.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Maxxair-R...sQ5fAccessories

Re: Trailer roof vents - 01/03/11 03:02 AM

Quote:

This is what I put on mine....did away with the crank up vents....they seemed to vaporize in the hot California sun.....these things work awesome.

Nice option. Not sure how that would do with 3' of snow on it though
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Trailer roof vents - 01/03/11 03:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

They have survived going under low trees at 65 mph....they are really tough. Plus they protect those sissy crank ups.They have a screen and really pull the fumes out traveling down the road.

Re: Trailer roof vents - 01/03/11 03:23 AM

I just ordered a replacement, I still might put the cover over it.
replacement cover
Posted By: Dap

Re: Trailer roof vents - 01/03/11 04:29 AM

I had to replace mine 2 years ago. I just called Pace American to get the new ones. I think they were about $12.00 ea
Posted By: BIGBLOCK_KAT

Re: Trailer roof vents - 01/03/11 06:28 AM

They have survived going under low trees at 65 mph....they are really tough. Plus they protect those sissy crank ups.They have a screen and really pull the fumes out traveling down the road.

I just replaced mine and it was only 3 years old. I may give them a try.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Trailer roof vents - 01/03/11 10:52 AM

Quote:

(I'm guessing from the sun?!?)

Roger that ....the UV rayz messes-em-up real-good .... BEST to put some white or silver RV-type paint on them .. it helps their life.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Trailer roof vents - 01/03/11 03:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

(I'm guessing from the sun?!?)

Roger that ....the UV rayz messes-em-up real-good .... BEST to put some white or silver RV-type paint on them .. it helps their life.

Yeah.......... sun tan lotion
Posted By: poisondart2

Re: Trailer roof vents - 01/03/11 04:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is the answer to the sun , wind, rain problem . The tailer is vented all the time and water doesnt get in.
Posted By: chryco

Re: Trailer roof vents - 01/03/11 07:02 PM

I replaced mine a couple of years ago too. Mine was weathered and cracked . Our local RV place had an exact replacement "pop up " and I don`t think it was more than $25.00 . Cheap fix , BUT my next vent will be the kind you ordered Jim.
Chryco

Attached picture 6395034-IMG_6324a.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums