Moparts

Vote for Herb McCandless

Posted By: HMcCandless_Jr

Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/29/10 11:28 PM

Ok guys my dad got in a contest on www.competitionplus.com, its a war story contest and we need your vote. This website takes people from the old days and has them tell stories until they eliminate down to one. The link is below, we have a good story for second round but right now we are behind, I mean I'm not a politician but I need votes.

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/16350-war-stories-race-

Thanks,

Herb McCandless Jr
Posted By: earthmover

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/29/10 11:34 PM

just voted
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/29/10 11:38 PM

VOTED!!!!! I didnt realize that S&M raced Dodges?? Just thought they raced Plymouths.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/29/10 11:44 PM

Done!
Posted By: 70Dustmite440

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/29/10 11:47 PM

Posted By: 340B5

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/29/10 11:55 PM

One more

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/29/10 11:57 PM

Thanks guys keep them coming.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 12:00 AM

Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 12:09 AM

Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 12:14 AM

1 for Herb
Posted By: BobK

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 12:16 AM

Another for Herb

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 12:44 AM

Another one for Herb. Let us know how he makes out.
Posted By: Bighead440

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 12:46 AM

MR 4spd... One more for the legend!
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 12:48 AM

Done....Hope the old man wins!!
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 12:57 AM

Another vote for Herb!! Dave
Posted By: BEEQUIK

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 12:59 AM

Done for Herb!!
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 01:10 AM

Done!!!
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 01:14 AM

Jr...I pinned your thread for the time being hoping that everyone votes...After all...Herb is a part of Mopars racing history!!
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 01:18 AM

I tried to vote...but the link isn't highlighted?
Posted By: HEMI472

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless *DELETED* - 12/30/10 01:45 AM

i have a story for ya

it was 1988 when i was young i was building my 2nd motor and i called down to herbs place and talked to him about a 440. i told him what i was doing and what stuff i had and the first thing he told me to was tape a dollor bill to my moroso oil pan and throw it off the next bridge i crossed and for me to tell everyone i lost a dollor.because they was junk and my motor would not last. so now thats been 22 years ago now the motor has made hundreds of passes at the drag strip pluse thousands of street miles and has been in 2 cars.the motor still runs if he would like to go for a ride.

Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 01:55 AM

Quote:

Me too,what do I need to do?
Posted By: plycuda

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 02:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Me 3
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 02:26 AM

Quote:

i have a story for ya

it was 1988 when i was young i was building my 2nd motor and i called down to herbs place and talked to him about a 440. i told him what i was doing and what stuff i had and the first thing he told me to was tape a dollor bill to my moroso oil pan and throw it off the next bridge i crossed and for me to tell everyone i lost a dollor.because they was junk and my motor would not last. so now thats been 22 years ago now the motor has made hundreds of passes at the drag strip pluse thousands of street miles and has been in 2 cars.the motor still runs if he would like to go for a ride.

Sounds familar,,,,he told me about the same thing on solid rod ends on ladder bars. He said,,"put those solid ends in a vice and cut them in two pieces, throw one end in the river and drive accross the state and throw the other piece in a hollow somewhere,,that way, NOBODY will ever find the two pieces and weld them back together".
Another time in reference to a offset grind stroker crank in a 360,,he said,,"if you use the Chev rods they will break. They are the weak link and I LOVE telling people that. If you use a 'good' steel rod, you won't need bolts for the oil pan,,just weld it on 'cause you won't ever need to be in there again."
Sure do miss talking to Herb!!
Posted By: donscuda

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 02:31 AM

I'm really sorry, but after running around the midwest with Ron Colson as part of the saftey staff of the UDRA for a number of years before he stepped up as president of the organization.. Those times really are some of my best memories, between my father, him, Jack, Arnie, Jim, and everyone else I learned from, I'll never forget those summers. He's like family, and I'm going to have to vote for him until he wins the whole thing.

(and I would vote for any of the guys that ran, or helped us with the UDRA in any type of contest...)
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 03:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Me 3

Hit on Herb Jr's link and then the vote is at the bottom of the story.
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 03:20 AM

It won't work...I tried that.
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 03:55 AM

Voted!

Damon
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 07:09 AM

I tried to vote , clicked on were it says to vote, won't do anything. Maybe time is up. Sorry.
Posted By: 727builder

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 05:11 PM

I couldnt vote either. No link.
Another Herb Story, I was building a 340 bracket engine back in the early 80's and called him to ask about the 590 mopar solid cam? Said they was junk and told me to use the Comp 585 lift solid cam. It would be about 15 hundredths quicker. Engine ran good for what it was. Every few months i would blow one of the 1008 fel-pro head gaskets. Called him back and He told me to make 20-30 passes and always go back and retorque the heads. Said they do require re-torquing. Herb's A great guy for sure!
Posted By: DCM71cuda

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 07:02 PM

I went there this morning and couldn't vote.

Went a few minutes ago, and I could.

web page
Posted By: hemi69cuda

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 09:38 PM

Posted By: robnbird

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 10:48 PM

Its funny how Herb & Sox drove chevys in the early days, ended up in Plymouth. Grumpy drove a hemi dodge and ended up in a Cheby.Go herb. Hey Jr, have you seen this before?

Attached picture 6386581-wheelie.jpg

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/30/10 11:05 PM

Got my vote in too.
Posted By: MFR426

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/31/10 12:21 AM

Voted!!
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/31/10 12:28 AM

Herb WHO?????

Attached picture 6386720-IMG_1239.JPG
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/31/10 01:36 AM

Quote:

I tried to vote , clicked on were it says to vote, won't do anything. Maybe time is up. Sorry.

I've tried several more times with no luck.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/31/10 03:05 AM

Tried also I believe it was a one day deal

Rickster
Posted By: 383man

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/31/10 08:11 AM

Herb is the man. Ron

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 12/31/10 02:39 PM

Quote:

i have a story for ya

Its to bad your motor doesnt make that much power, a moroso oil pan wont make the kind of power we made 23 years ago.

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless *DELETED* - 12/31/10 06:55 PM

just to let you know it was a pump gas motor that was in a 3800 challenger with a 509 cam went 11.62 with a tunnel ram whith 600 holleys and again i was taking to herb and he told me that it would be faster with a single four barrel so i went and bought a 850 holley and tryed 2 intakes and the thing would only run 11.80.i am just stating what he told me not cutting on him but at the same time my buddy was going 10.20 with a peice weld on his pan. buy the way oil pans dont make horse power. as far as power goes you guys was all over the indy heads at the time but i remember that ken worked there he had b1 heads on his red daytona
Posted By: McCandlessboy

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 01/02/11 05:47 AM

Quote:

just to let you know it was a pump gas motor that was in a 3800 challenger with a 509 cam went 11.62 with a tunnel ram whith 600 holleys and again i was taking to herb and he told me that it would be faster with a single four barrel so i went and bought a 850 holley and tryed 2 intakes and the thing would only run 11.80.i am just stating what he told me not cutting on him but at the same time my buddy was going 10.20 with a peice weld on his pan. buy the way oil pans dont make horse power. as far as power goes you guys was all over the indy heads at the time but i remember that ken worked there he had b1 heads on his red daytona.

This was a thread about voting for an old story. Your two posts in this thread come off as a personal attack to my father. If you would like to create a thread and talk about who has done more for the mopar industry, my father or some random internet poster, then lets do so. Otherwise, just stay out of a thread that was meant to bring up old stories from a time when people actually raced their cars instead of keyboards.

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless *DELETED* - 01/02/11 06:17 AM

Post deleted by HEMI472

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 01/02/11 06:22 AM

Living on my dads name? Haha. Yeah, because my dad had such a great history in the sports nutrition industry that I'm in. I self funded everything business wise I've done. I love my father and I respect him very much. If I sense someone making smart comments about my father, I'm going to defend him. Like any good son should do.

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless *DELETED* - 01/02/11 06:54 AM

Quote:

Post deleted by HEMI472

Deleting your post only to pm me cussing at me is still classless. Like I said, leave your wise cracks about my father out of this. Thanks to everyone for voting!

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless *DELETED* - 01/02/11 02:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Post deleted by HEMI472

Deleting your post only to pm me cussing at me is still classless. Like I said, leave your wise cracks about my father out of this. Thanks to everyone for voting!

Now that being done with and back on topic, Herb is still the man!
Posted By: hemicop

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless *DELETED* - 01/02/11 08:19 PM

I don't fawn over any celebrities & I respect alot of famous racers, so Mr. McCandless easily gets my vote..
Interesting thing---I've been fortunate enough to meet quite a few of the old Mpar "team" racers & they all were friendly, professional & took time to answer my (I'm sure to them) "stupid" questions.
ON THE OTHER HAND, years ago I was at E-town watching a match race when Grumpy was there with his Monza. He was trying to get a jack over to his car to change tires & naturally the crowd was in the way. One rather large guy ignored several requests to move & at one point simply turned around & stared at Grumpy. At that point Grumpy yells at him "Get the F&&k outta the way!". The guy jmped back & he proceeded with his work.
Now I don't care either way if someone curses or not, but from a "professional" standpoint, it WAS a bit much, albeit funny. No wonder Mr. Jenkins has THAT nickname.....
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 01/02/11 10:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i have a story for ya

Sounds familar,,,,he told me about the same thing on solid rod ends on ladder bars. He said,,"put those solid ends in a vice and cut them in two pieces, throw one end in the river and drive accross the state and throw the other piece in a hollow somewhere,,that way, NOBODY will ever find the two pieces and weld them back together".
Another time in reference to a offset grind stroker crank in a 360,,he said,,"if you use the Chev rods they will break. They are the weak link and I LOVE telling people that. If you use a 'good' steel rod, you won't need bolts for the oil pan,,just weld it on 'cause you won't ever need to be in there again."
Sure do miss talking to Herb!!

.....similar story back in the day when I called him too on my RB build for my Mirada....guess he had enough of being bothered by young aspiring racers building mopars. No anomosity over it, but a funny story none the less. Funny to see others with the same memory. But to keep it on topic I'll go cast a vote for him.

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless - 01/03/11 12:11 AM

first off i deleted the post to be nice. but i can see you dont want to let it go and i wasnt cussing you. but i can if you like. i never said any thing bad about herb.i was just telling you what he told me.
Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless *DELETED* - 01/06/11 02:21 AM

Quote:

I don't fawn over any celebrities & I respect alot of famous racers, so Mr. McCandless easily gets my vote..
Interesting thing---I've been fortunate enough to meet quite a few of the old Mpar "team" racers & they all were friendly, professional & took time to answer my (I'm sure to them) "stupid" questions.
ON THE OTHER HAND, years ago I was at E-town watching a match race when Grumpy was there with his Monza. He was trying to get a jack over to his car to change tires & naturally the crowd was in the way. One rather large guy ignored several requests to move & at one point simply turned around & stared at Grumpy. At that point Grumpy yells at him "Get the F&&k outta the way!". The guy jmped back & he proceeded with his work.
Now I don't care either way if someone curses or not, but from a "professional" standpoint, it WAS a bit much, albeit funny. No wonder Mr. Jenkins has THAT nickname.....

I think that after quite a few repeated times of telling him move tactfully, that was more of an "attention getter", rather than being RUDE!!
However, the ultimate solution which is DEAD WRONG to do, would be to "tap" him with a tire iron!! I'm not promoting violence! Just stating a "could happen" situation that can materialize!!

© 2024 Moparts Forums