Moparts

How are you guys adding weight?

Posted By: 412 SB Duster

How are you guys adding weight? - 12/22/10 06:24 PM

Looking for different ideas on how to mount weight in the back, that can be removed when needed.
thanks
AL
Posted By: sjs64polara

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/22/10 06:35 PM

Quote:

Looking for different ideas on how to mount weight in the back, that can be removed when needed.
thanks
AL

Good Topic

Attached picture 6371815-Time_Mach_10_417_web.jpg
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/22/10 06:36 PM

I have a pair of metal battery boxes in the trunk bolted through the frame rails with 1/2" bolts. Weight in the form of shot bags or iron bars are added or removed as needed. I also have a 25 lb barbell weight bolted where the spare tire goes. Fuel cell is on a "bridge" frame above the wheelwell. I downsized from a 10 gal. to a 5 gal. because I figured using extra fuel as ballast wasn't a good idea.
Posted By: nhramark

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/22/10 07:04 PM

I've got a 100 lb. steel bar that I can mount in the trunk with two 1/2" bolts that go though the bar and the rear frame rails. Slows my et by .11
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/22/10 10:16 PM

I needed my weight in the front and founded 3 lead bars(looks like weight on a x-cise machine)from a foundry.I tig welded 2 small 3/8" plates to bolt them down too and I use grade 8 bolts to bolt them down. They are 25 lbs each. You could go to Wal-Mart or just about any Sporting goods store and buy bar bell weights,they range from about 2-50 lbs each.
Posted By: dvw

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/22/10 11:41 PM

I used to add weight to my 63 Dodge to slow it down for N/SS. It had plates with 1/2" nuts welded just below the floor under the package shelf area. There was a plate with a 1/2" hole located directly between the nuts. The nuts were spaced far enough apart to fit the diameter of 25lb dumb bell wieghts. A piece of 1 1/2" angle iron was layed across the weight with a 1/2" pin through the middle hole of the weight. The angle iron held the weights down with the 1/2" bolt on each side screwed into the floor nuts. The 1/2" bolts and the pin were long enough that I could stack 8 wieghts side by side. You could stack 16 25lb wieghts right above the axle and change them very quickly. loosen the bolts lift the pin up, slide the required weight in or out, reinstall the pin and tighten the bolts.
Doug
Posted By: thedriver

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/22/10 11:47 PM

i generally stick my 6 yr old in the trunk when i need the ballast. hes about 65lbs. i tell him to try to stay in the middle, but sometimes when i make the e-brake 180's he slides around back there and the whole damn car wobbles............
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/23/10 12:09 AM

50# of lead in the rear bumper (50" behind the rear axle!), and a 40# plate bolted to the floor in the spare tire well. big block "a" body, so it needs it.
Posted By: Dave_S

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/23/10 12:13 AM

Extra helpings of turkey and gravy!! Oh and when they ask what kind of pie for dessert, just say "Yes Please"!!

Merry Christmas

Dave
Posted By: topside

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/23/10 03:15 AM

Let's just say that you'd better be ready when you remove the tail lamps from my Duster. To help out, there are some little touches up front: basically nothing in the dash behind the panel & bezel (even the ashtray is just the outer cover), aluminum fasteners on the front sheet metal, and the front driveshaft hoop was made from aluminum (it now hangs in the shop). I added some lead bars in the spare tire well between & behind the 2 batteries.
One of the sister Hamburger cars has filler caps & drains in the rear frame rails, and a plate sandwiched into the rear floor.

Attached picture 6372721-1521ssia.jpg
Posted By: dvw

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/23/10 06:32 PM

A friend of mine used to own one fo Hamburgers old Dusters. It ran NHRA stock. Lets say it looked stock but was a lot heavier in the rear than the front compared to a factory Duster. It ran as the Steel City Missle, Later went to Loge as the California Missle.
Doug
Posted By: rowin4

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/23/10 07:31 PM

When the wife say's, cherrie or apple pie I say yes.
Posted By: Aspen7695

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/23/10 07:39 PM

I have 2 2"X4"X40" pieces of steel tubing mounted in the trunk. They are bolted thru the frame rails. Since they are hollow I have a cap on them and I fill them with lead shot. Each bar weighs 95 pounds when full of shot.

Raul
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/23/10 08:58 PM

i'm always trying to figure out how to take weight out go faster
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/23/10 09:03 PM

i see how you figured it out put halve the car on the trailer!!!

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/23/10 09:10 PM

Quote:

When I had my 360 W-2 bracket Challenger I added about 140 lbs and picked up .......................consistency
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/23/10 10:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

When I had my 360 W-2 bracket Challenger I added about 140 lbs and picked up .......................consistency

I didn't think you ever weighed 140 lbs Myron
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/23/10 10:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

he still doesn't on that bean sprout diet he's on
Posted By: fishy340

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/23/10 10:56 PM

fat chick from the bar,usually good for 250 lbs.
Posted By: Thackdaddy

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/24/10 12:05 AM

Farmall wheel weights work good in the spare tire well of a Duster, 150lbs each.
Posted By: 440GTX

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/24/10 12:12 AM

I have a peice 135 lbs railroad track in the trunk with tabs welded to it so i can bolt it the floor to make my weight.

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/24/10 01:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, I weighed around 155 from high school to about 20 years ago. (Pepsi) I'm at 190 now but prefer 180-185. Should drop when racing season starts again.

Speaking of weight......Tony, was it a boy or a girl???

Posted By: Quicktree

Re: How are you guys adding weight? - 12/24/10 01:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, I weighed around 155 from high school to about 20 years ago. (Pepsi) I'm at 190 now but prefer 180-185. Should drop when racing season starts again.

Speaking of weight......Tony, was it a boy or a girl???

haven't hatched it yet, but I think it will happen any day
© 2024 Moparts Forums