Moparts

Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies?

Posted By: Gary Robbins

Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/18/10 07:42 PM

Can any of you with the upper control arm in the stock location and no inner fender show me some pic. from under hood,thanks...Gary
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/18/10 08:18 PM

I can when I get home but it's not an A body.

What is it your wanting to know or see?
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/18/10 08:19 PM

here you go:

Posted By: DaKuda

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/18/10 08:21 PM

Heres one when my Valiant was in the body shop.

Attached picture 6364610-rsz_z_mopar69_valiant_(70).jpg
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/18/10 08:24 PM

Posted By: jughed

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/18/10 08:37 PM

Attached picture 6364629-017.JPG
Posted By: rebel

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/18/10 08:56 PM

i decided the shock mount was interfearring with making some decent flowing headers so we moved the shock mount to the bar & cut the rest out.

Attached picture 6364655-11-08-09_21121.jpg
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/18/10 09:24 PM

Posted By: rickma

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/18/10 10:56 PM

69 dart

Attached picture 6364799-ins056.JPG
Posted By: earthmover

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/18/10 11:03 PM

whats the pros and cons of this i have thought of doing my duster this way with the new big block but thought i would ask before i do it...i know it helps cool down air flow in compartment and stuff like that maybe clearence for headers aswell thanks sorry dont mean to hi jack just would like to know..mike

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/18/10 11:07 PM

the pro's as i see it, you have room to build better flowing headers, you can access your plugs easier especially if you build good headers, on my car the front clip comes off so the front tires become a convieniant seat when working on the engine. i can't think of any cons apart front your engine will get dirty if you drive on the street in the rain.

Attached picture 6364816-11-08-09_21141.jpg
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/18/10 11:09 PM

Here's what mine looks like. A little tough to see the shock mount, but it is tied in with the front runner of the cage.

Attached picture 6364826-Dart7-9-08002.jpg
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/18/10 11:16 PM

If it's a race car , ease of header install, plug change, maybe cooling, make sure you have the front cage tubes even if there welded to the firewall or your car will fold up. welding the remaining shock tower to the front tubes will add support also. If your looking for weight reduction , maybe 20 lbs., The down tubes will weigh more. It better be a race car or the value of your car will be reduced.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/18/10 11:22 PM

Quote:

whats the pros and cons of this i have thought of doing my duster this way with the new big block but thought i would ask before i do it...i know it helps cool down air flow in compartment and stuff like that maybe clearence for headers aswell thanks sorry dont mean to hi jack just would like to know..mike

If you put the round tube in place as the others
show you can cut that sheet metal out and save weight
along with easier access... the upper A-arm carries
very little load... its there to hold the spindle
vertical, thats all(well in the case of a stock
set up its there to adjust the camber and caster)
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 12:59 AM

Quote:

the pro's as i see it, you have room to build better flowing headers...

What's the spring for??

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 01:02 AM

Quote:

What's the spring for??

it's not a spring but in fact a piece of plastic electrical conduit to hide the hori old chain i use to act as a limiter on the suspension.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 01:09 AM

Just an fyi - those inner fenders do a lot to strengthen the uni-body. And they will weigh much less than the cage bars you would need to install to regain that strength...you also lose a good many of the places that bolts go into the fenders to hold them in place.

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 01:58 AM

Quote:

Just an fyi - those inner fenders do a lot to strengthen the uni-body. And they will weigh much less than the cage bars you would need to install to regain that strength...you also lose a good many of the places that bolts go into the fenders to hold them in place.

On the weight... I disagree with you... thats alot
of metal your taking out... but I use moly tubing
which is 1.36# per foot but if you use MS its 2.0#
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 04:00 AM

Here's my pig.
This was done for cooling, the A-body engine compartment is a hot-house otherwise. Bent bars are weaker in tension and compression. Mine isn't tied to the cage since I don't have one. Fwiw, the horizontal force in the upper control arms is F=W*A/B where W is the sprung corner weight, A is the distance from the center of the tire to the center of the lower ball joint and
B is the distance between the ball joints. Since A and B are similar the horizontal force is similar to the sprung corner weight.
Check out the high-tech cooling system. It's worked fine for at least 15 years and uses no wp housing. The bar code on the valve cover is for a Cordoba HP 400, I just couldn't paint over it. Harland Sharps hiding under the stock covers. I know, I have some clean-up to do, the engine is coming out soon.

Attached picture 6365505-P1010156.JPG
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 04:36 AM

you need to build the front so everything ties together using the engine plate and transmission midplates as crossmembers:

Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 01:40 PM

Quote:

you need to build the front so everything ties together using the engine plate and transmission midplates as crossmembers:

Thanks everyone for the replies..it was what i was looking for.We have off the shelf tti headers and have you ever checked/changed spark plugs with everything hot...almost impossible.We run our car conservative and looking to step it up and will have to keep a check on the tune closer...rarely check them now lol.Your options on custom headers is alot better with no inner fenders and i was concerned about the upper control arm mount...

Bob thats exactly what i kneeded as i have a alterkation frontend also...i like the clean look...Thanks again everyone...Gary
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 02:28 PM

Quote:

i decided the shock mount was interfearring with making some decent flowing headers so we moved the shock mount to the bar & cut the rest out.

Yea, if you have the factory steering box and torsion bars, those shock towers make the initial bend for the center cylinders tight, especially for bigger headers over 2". I believe they will flow better with a straighter shot off the head.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 03:08 PM

Do you all think that with NO inner fenders it lets a lot more air in going down the track? More aero drag? My hood lifts up at about 138 or so, I wondered if it would be less air if I had inners? What do you think? Don

Attached picture 6366019-DSC00281.JPG

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 03:29 PM

I would think it lets more air in under the hood.

However, In your case I would suggest maybe adding more hood pins.

Can't really tell by the pic you posted but it looks like you may only be using 1 in each corner.

I have 10 Dusz fasteners on mine and it's nice a satble.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 04:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

On the weight... I disagree with you... thats alot
of metal your taking out... but I use moly tubing
which is 1.36# per foot but if you use MS its 2.0#

When I did this using mild steel 1 3/4 .134 wall the tubing definitely weighed more than the inner fenders. All total the inner fenders were about 20 pounds.
Posted By: hemicop

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 05:22 PM

If ity were me, I'd do what the old P/S cars did. They simply ran a piece of sheetmetal from the framerail to the fender with the edge bent-over so as to bolt the piece to the fender. Since they used coilovers, they simply notched the sheetmetal to accomodate the upper mount. This provided them with extra room (since there were no contours) yet kept air from getting caught in the engine bay as you're concerned with.If you look at many of the early 70s P/S mopars (Motown MIssile, Herb McCandless's Demon, etc.)they were done this way. Since these were factory cars, obviously someone, somewhere did the research to find & figure out it was necessary to isolate the engine bayand since you ARE talking speeds similiar to early P/S type cars, this fix seems applicable

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 05:35 PM

When I did this using mild steel 1 3/4 .134 wall the tubing definitely weighed more than the inner fenders. All total the inner fenders were about 20 pounds.

Your tubing weighs 2.31 lbs per foot and I would guess
you used about 7'
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 05:43 PM

Attached picture 6366301-tmpphpnw461B.jpg
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 06:04 PM

wish i could download pics of mine
just cant seam to find out how
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 06:10 PM

BloFish, can i have your car?
Posted By: redex79

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 06:26 PM

CAP upper arms, Aerospace hubs,rotors.calipers. Brace is to the firewall.

Attached picture 6366387-DSC01553.JPG
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 06:57 PM

Our local heads up classes require inner fenders.
I think it would be nice to have some aluminum inner fenders that were dzus'd on, I believe that's what BondoBob just had done to his DartSport.
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 07:20 PM

No inners here. Just got the headrers out of powder coat and looking good. new pics soon when motor gets installed and the first of the year.

Attached picture 6366479-SuperScamp011.JPG
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 08:06 PM

Quote:

Do you all think that with NO inner fenders it lets a lot more air in going down the track? ...

I think the air comes in from the front and taking out the inner fenders lets it exit at the sides, which may not be the best at speed but it should reduce under hood pressure. I like to go to the top-end and watch the plastic cars come by. Some take on very funny shapes at speed.

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 08:14 PM

Quote:

wish i could download pics of mine
just cant seam to find out how

2 Options,

A) go to the archives and read the post I did on resizing and posting pics

B) I can PM you my number and walk you through it.

Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 08:40 PM

Quote:

If ity were me, I'd do what the old P/S cars did. They simply ran a piece of sheetmetal from the framerail to the fender with the edge bent-over so as to bolt the piece to the fender. Since they used coilovers, they simply notched the sheetmetal to accomodate the upper mount. This provided them with extra room (since there were no contours) yet kept air from getting caught in the engine bay as you're concerned with.If you look at many of the early 70s P/S mopars (Motown MIssile, Herb McCandless's Demon, etc.)they were done this way. Since these were factory cars, obviously someone, somewhere did the research to find & figure out it was necessary to isolate the engine bayand since you ARE talking speeds similiar to early P/S type cars, this fix seems applicable

here's an example of what most had back then thin .035 aluminum and Dzus fasteners

Posted By: BloFish

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 08:42 PM

Quote:

For keeps?
Posted By: mafo

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 11:00 PM

Attached picture 6366844-f1914648.jpg
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/19/10 11:48 PM

well may have to do that
i reposted my new car pics but they didnt attatch
so i dunno me dumb
thanks bill try to trdo the pics again later
and repost what my inners look like
not any diff than what im seeing tho
after all only so many ways to do them
thank you
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/20/10 01:02 AM

here mine 71 demon removable front clip

Attached picture 6367051-63250001.jpg
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/20/10 03:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

For keeps?

if i lie to you and tell you that you will get it back will you let me borrow it? i would also like you to deliver it while your at it

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/20/10 02:40 PM

Quote:

I would think it lets more air in under the hood.

However, In your case I would suggest maybe adding more hood pins.

Can't really tell by the pic you posted but it looks like you may only be using 1 in each corner.

I have 10 Dusz fasteners on mine and it's nice a satble.

Bill it's a bolt on hood with stock hinges, stock latch in front. Maybe my hinges are loose? Don

Attached picture 6367943-CC_JOLIET_2006_105.jpg

Re: Guys with no inner fenders on stock type a-bodies? - 12/20/10 02:52 PM

Thanks hemicop. Thanks for the pic Fred, I may look into that. Don

Attached picture 6367951-indy07.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums