Moparts

race car paint

Posted By: sam64

race car paint - 12/14/10 04:31 AM

i'm going to paint my 63 over the off season,i'm looking at blue on bottom,silver from body line up.i've got about 6 weeks till i get my f-glass hood and bumpers,open to to suggestions on schemes.thanks,sam.oh yeah i've already removed the side moulings.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: race car paint - 12/14/10 05:45 AM

I went with the old school look
Posted By: bonefish

Re: race car paint - 12/14/10 03:06 PM

ID REDO IT JUST LIKE YA SEE IT,SIDE MOULDINGS AND ALL.
Posted By: 383man

Re: race car paint - 12/14/10 06:44 PM

I liked mine all stock. I left all the stock mld's on it and left everything body wise stock. The Torque Thrust and steelie wheels along with the scoop really gave my 63 the old 60's SS look. And I love it ! Ron

Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: race car paint - 12/14/10 09:23 PM

I say Make it wild!! More you drink the mor imagination you'll have

Attached picture 6357434-DARTINPATIO.jpg
Posted By: blown572dart

Re: race car paint - 12/14/10 09:27 PM

Paint it black
Posted By: dragram440

Re: race car paint - 12/14/10 10:00 PM

I agree on black but alot of people seem to like the bright colors. This is my first black vehicle and it is a pain to keep clean, But looks exceptional when clean. That red looks really sharp to. I have had a hemi orange 95 ram and a dodge ram yellow truck (other brand) so I went black on this one and have no regrets!! Doesnt matter what color you paint it as mopars are just cool any color.

Re: race car paint - 12/15/10 12:46 AM

thanks for the replys so far,bonefish-the moulings are gone and holes welded up.383 man-i like your car,but had a bad experience with red.mikeysmopars,everything just gets blurry when i drink alot.blown572dart-if i had a motor like yours black would be an option. oops,coomer your looks good too.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: race car paint - 12/15/10 02:09 AM

I'd reverse the colors....Blue on to/silver bottom....or a Dodge truck graphite grey on top/with silver bottom.
Posted By: Thackdaddy

Re: race car paint - 12/15/10 02:21 AM

Yep, blue on top, silver bottom would be sharp or gold top, black bottom with steel wheels, black in front gold out back.
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: race car paint - 12/15/10 03:57 AM

I assume blue interior?
I would put the lighter color high,does`nt show dust as easy,won`t show scratches as easy either. Also will be slightly cooler in sun.
Of the cars I`ve done darker bottom/lighter top always looks good.

Attached picture 6358261-DSC00219.JPG
Posted By: cudasteve68

Re: race car paint - 12/15/10 04:04 AM

Electric Blue and the Day Glow Silver. all 200? Mopar colors. And some Orange between the colors. looks good on my junk
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: race car paint - 12/15/10 04:06 AM

Attached picture 6358283-HPIM3486.JPG
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: race car paint - 12/15/10 04:46 AM

YELLOWJACKET did this photshop for him just to give you an idea....

Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: race car paint - 12/15/10 05:11 AM

ok ok here's one of my buddies car we did this summer. We welded up all the holes & did it in silver. Those early b body's lookk great in silver

Attached picture 6358428-pinks%20537[1].jpg

Re: race car paint - 12/16/10 04:09 AM

i've been doin a little work on it,

Attached picture 6360064-mopars266(Small).jpg
Posted By: rowin4

Re: race car paint - 12/16/10 07:38 AM

The gray/ silver top portion looks good, but I think the bottom might need a darker shade of blue. But thats my opinion, my car is now primer green.

Posted By: greenpigs

Re: race car paint - 12/16/10 09:40 AM

Candy dark blue with gold flakes & white latice trim.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: race car paint - 12/16/10 06:48 PM

I like the stock white, like on your top, on 1963 Plymouth I raced a M.W. 415 HP two door sedan Belevedere for many years that was the stock 1963 Mopar white I bought and raced another M.W. Belevdere two door hardtop that was the dark blue like the later cars, it look good also
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: race car paint - 12/16/10 11:52 PM

I also like the o'll school look. So I went with Candy-Apple red with micro gold metal flakes over a shimming silver base coat.

Attached picture 6361498-002cs.jpg.jpg
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: race car paint - 12/16/10 11:57 PM

man never got to drive a car like that to school

or college either
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: race car paint - 12/17/10 12:20 AM

Quote:

I also like the o'll school look. So I went with Candy-Apple red with micro gold metal flakes over a shimming silver base coat.

Car looks good. I like the gold along the bottom.

Race cars should have bright colors along the bottom to help make the car pop in pictures because the track is black. There should be no dark colors on a race car paint job. They were all designed by my sponsors, which are paint people, so they know a thing or two about paint.

If you want no one to take pictures of your race car then paint it black. That hot rod black everyone is using nowadays looks terrible in pictures on a race car. imo

I've been through some paint jobs, like maybe 8 of them.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: race car paint - 12/17/10 12:29 AM

to make that leagal where is the wipers??
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: race car paint - 12/17/10 01:08 AM

Quote:

to make that leagal where is the wipers??

I do that in private after I get out of the race car.
Old school, 1992 or so.

a car fire at Quaker city, completely burned my car to the ground. less than 2 weeks later I was at Edgewater here in town for a Div3 race with a plain white paint job. We kicked azz, I have 4 guys who worked there butts off for me.

Posted By: BEEQUIK

Re: race car paint - 12/17/10 01:21 AM

I say Candy Brandywine on the bottom. Orion Silver house of kolor on the top above the bodyline with the old school candy brandy stripes on the roof as well.Would look fantastic. And if you are wanting to stick with a blue just substitute the blue for the brandywine instead.would look KILLER!!
Posted By: topbrent

Re: race car paint - 12/17/10 01:35 AM

Since we are sharing opinions....

A nice looking single color Max Wedge style vibe is timeless and always looks good. Race car schemes on early B's rarely look good IMHO.

No matter what era of race car scheme you choose it will likely look dated, and/or it will look like you are copying someone else's paint scheme, ie Ramchargers, or Sox, Melrose Missle, ect.

Though it may seem unimaginative, choose one of the stock colors available in 1963.
- Paint the car 1 stock 63 color,
- Keep the chrome bumpers,
- Install a proper 63 style MaxWedge scoop,
- Use color keyed steel wheels, or a Torque thrust type front, steel rear combo.
- The slotted mags on there currently give a cool vintage vibe.

Think ahead several years...yes, it is unpleasant to think about selling, but unpleasant unforseen stuff happens. The future buyer will likely not share your vision of a "cool race car paint scheme."

Keep it simple.
Posted By: racerx

Re: race car paint - 12/17/10 02:30 AM

Quote:

Since we are sharing opinions....

A nice looking single color Max Wedge style look is timeless and always looks good. Race car schems on early b's rarely look good IMHO. No matter what era of race car schems you choose it will likely look dated, or it will look like you are copying someone else's paint scheme, ie ramchargers, or Sox, melrose missle, ect.

Though it may seem unimaginative, choose one of the stock colors available in 63.
- Paint the car 1 color,
- chrome the bumpers,
- use a 63 MW scoop,
- Use color keyed steel wheels, or a Torque thrust type front. steel rear combo.

Think ahead several years...the future buyer will likely not share your vision of a "race car."

what he said

Re: race car paint - 12/17/10 03:33 AM

2 things set in stone.slots stay,i've got skinnys for front now.no hood scoop,i see how much my hood distorts on my 65 w/max wedge scoop on steel hood which has some of the bracing removed.i've got a cold air setup already.thanks,sam.
© 2024 Moparts Forums