Moparts

SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS

Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/12/10 11:34 PM

Having a conversation with another moparts member about wheel back spacing and room between tires and leafs.
My question is....Are SS springs wider than Cal-trac monos????
Posted By: KOS

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/12/10 11:52 PM

there is no tire clearance difference btw the two setups everything else being equal.i went from offset shackle SS to inboard caltrac setup to gain clearance.
Posted By: W5Duster436

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/12/10 11:56 PM

Monoleafs are 2.5" wide. My part numbers are LR235-445. I ordered -1" drop but may be getting them to make a -2 to lower it down a bit since I get one free swap it seems.
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 01:20 AM

Quote:

Having a conversation with another moparts member about wheel back spacing and room between tires and leafs.
My question is....Are SS springs wider than Cal-trac monos????

mike go with cal-tracks they work LOL

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 01:52 AM

I already have the SS springs. Just wondering what the size dif is.
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 01:59 AM

oh ok sorry i dont know

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 02:00 AM

Its ok....
Posted By: blown572dart

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 02:02 AM

Quote:

I already have the SS springs. Just wondering what the size dif is.

Swap them and find out
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 02:07 AM

There is NO difference. I have both.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 02:09 AM

quit worrying about everything else and get that thing to the track

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 02:54 AM

Quote:

quit worrying about everything else and get that thing to the track

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 04:46 AM

Guys.....Stop busting my chops!!!! Ive been talking with Kyle for about a month now about wheel sizes and back spacing. He has Mono-leafs and I have SS leafs. We were comparing measurements and I was just wondering if the leafs were the same size or different...THATS IT!!!!
It will be some time before I will be able to go to the track becasue of money and now me having stage 3 cancer and starting chemo tomorrow. My duster is the LAST thing on my mind now!!!!
Posted By: Labratt

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 05:49 AM

Mike,I know where you're coming from! Best of Luck with the chemo...I hope,and pray,it goes as well as mine did last spring-summer!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 06:00 AM

Yep... good luck with your chemo

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 06:04 AM

Thanks Randy and Mike!!!!
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 11:27 AM

Quote:

Guys.....Stop busting my chops!!!! Ive been talking with Kyle for about a month now about wheel sizes and back spacing. He has Mono-leafs and I have SS leafs. We were comparing measurements and I was just wondering if the leafs were the same size or different...THATS IT!!!!
It will be some time before I will be able to go to the track becasue of money and now me having stage 3 cancer and starting chemo tomorrow. My duster is the LAST thing on my mind now!!!!

hang in there Mike, my wife wears a shirt that says cancer sucks and it does big time.she had stage 3 cancer several years ago and now is cnacer free.you can beat it. and I am sorry to hear about it, but it does not make you exempt to ball busting you are in Florida now and it's open season on ball busting hang in there

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 02:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

hang in there Mike, my wife wears a shirt that says cancer sucks and it does big time.she had stage 3 cancer several years ago and now is cnacer free.you can beat it. and I am sorry to hear about it, but it does not make you exempt to ball busting you are in Florida now and it's open season on ball busting hang in there

Keep your Chin up
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 06:12 PM

Quote:

This place can get a bit hairy sometimes so take it and move on...........I`m real sorry about your cancer and I know of several people going through it now so stand tall, kick it in the teeth and your car will be there when you`re ready.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 06:17 PM

Leafs are the same width - 2.5". Going with single leaf springs, your issues are going to be with pinion angle.

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 06:38 PM

Quote:

Leafs are the same width - 2.5". Going with single leaf springs, your issues are going to be with pinion angle.

I just got it all put together but haven't checked the pinion angle yet. How much did you notice yours being off after going to the monoleafs?

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 07:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I just got it all put together but haven't checked the pinion angle yet. How much did you notice yours being off after going to the monoleafs?

Well, let me clearify that I am putting single leaf CatTracs on a late B with an ISO system and 3800 lb HD ( 22" front section ) 5 leaf springs. That system had a 3.5* diff angle. My intention was to use the stock ISO perches and just beef them and modify the locator hole to accept the 1/2" centering pin on the single leaf springs ( also 22" front section). When I bolted it back up, my diff angle was now at 11*! Way too much to shim or do anything with. Torched everything off and I am going to start over with new perches from Calvert. They make the best I've seen BTW. You may not have the same issues, but make sure you measure if you are using your existing spring perches over as I just about guarantee there will be some change.

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/13/10 07:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, let me clearify that I am putting single leaf CatTracs on a late B with an ISO system and 3800 lb HD ( 22" front section ) 5 leaf springs. That system had a 3.5* diff angle. My intention was to use the stock ISO perches and just beef them and modify the locator hole to accept the 1/2" centering pin on the single leaf springs ( also 22" front section). When I bolted it back up, my diff angle was now at 11*! Way too much to shim or do anything with. Torched everything off and I am going to start over with new perches from Calvert. They make the best I've seen BTW. You may not have the same issues, but make sure you measure if you are using your existing spring perches over as I just about guarantee there will be some change.

I may be lucky however because just realized that I purchased my diff from a member here who was running caltracs and monoleafs as well. My guess is he had already checked pinion angle when he moved the perches in 3/4".

Fingers crossed at least..

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/14/10 01:06 AM

Stock perch location and single leaf springs on a late B body. Not a good thing - 11* diff to driveshaft angle.

Attached picture 6355798-caltrac7.jpg

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/14/10 01:08 AM

These are the perches Calvert sells - hopefully welded at the right angle.

Attached picture 6355805-caltrac8.jpg
Posted By: actionange

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/14/10 02:20 AM

Quote:

Mike, you have a PM

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/14/10 11:27 PM

Tony and James.....Im sorry for the lash back. Was just going thru thinking of starting chemo and the effects and then you guys WHACKED me!!!! LOL....I can usually take it like a big boy and if so,take some more but the other day I was just NOT in the mood....Sorry again!!!

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts a prayers. My cancer started as testicular cancer,they removed it but was too late and it has spread to my lymphnodes and possible a lung. My PT/Scan report came in yesterday and I have a lymphnode that is 1.9cm big. I am taking 5 days of chemo then 2 weeks off. I will do this for 4 weeks for a total of 20 days of chemo.

THANKS everyone!!!!

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/14/10 11:30 PM

no issues Mike sorry your going through it.

Again keep your chin up
Posted By: dirtybee

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/15/10 01:49 AM

i don't know you mike but sorry to hear about the cancer, you can beat it, all the best. kick it's a$$ then go race that duster.
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: SS LEAFS VS CAL-TRAC MONOS - 12/15/10 02:32 AM

Keep the faith, may god bless you
My prayers go out to you and your
family, Speedy Recovery
© 2024 Moparts Forums