Race Car Wrap

Posted By: BobsProFab

Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 05:36 AM

anyone have there car done in a wrap ?
hows it look and hold up ?

Bob
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 05:47 AM

I had my Daytona done several years ago and wasn't really happy with it. It was his first total car as he kind of specialized in the rescue vehicle and ambulance field. If you have it done ask to see some of his work and make sure he laminates it. The color will rub off in areas like under the drivers side door from climbing in if you don't. It did look pretty good from a distance.

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 05:59 AM

i will ask about the lam.

just got hooked up with a company for sponsors ship with my car
its getting all the aluminum work wrapped in the 3M DI-NOC carbon fiber wrap and they ask about doing the whole car in a wrap also.

as i told them that the paint on my car is very nice and dont want to put something on it that doesnt look very good. they asure me that only the best wraps will be used

just looking for some feed back on this.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 06:20 AM

Quote:

its getting all the aluminum work wrapped in the 3M DI-NOC carbon fiber wrap and they ask about doing the whole car in a wrap also.

just used some of it on the Cuda dash and console. very easy it's like shrink fit tubing only in sheet form. a pass with hair dryer let's it strech and then forms easily. got out of line and I even pulled it off and still used it over

it's not a high shine finish. anthor company has material like glass. but you can spray clear over this 3M

the scoop an maybe the entire hood are next.carbon scoop bolted on matte hood
I keep thinking the whole car in matte like the billboards would look good

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 06:23 AM

I think one our members does wraps and may see your post. I am sure he can offer some does and don't. I don't know for sure but it may be (chassisman). I removed mine with a hair dryer and it did ripe some paint off.

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 06:35 AM

In the last year there has been a bog leap in material quality, weight,thickness and strength and choices. compared to the decals that first came out there's not much left in trick when applying
this panel has a double curve at the edge and then inside . the stretch material made it easy

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 06:51 AM

he told me you can wrinkle the 3M stuff up in a ball, pull it back out and heat it and every wrinkle will come right out just like it was new.
cant wait to get the samples of it.
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 07:09 AM

Bondo,
Just make sure they are willing do all of the prep work. 90% of a wrap is in preping the vehicle. If done right and using quality products your wrap can last for up to 7 years(Thats on the sides..on the hood...roof...trunk and fender tops...it's only 6 months outside daily exposure).After the 5 year mark even with the car parked inside there will be removability issues. From 3 years on the adhesive begins to chemically adhere to the underlying paint....there is no way to stop this. We tell customers up to 3 years clean removal.

On the laminates....there are some AWESOME special effects overlams out there. Problem is some of them have durability issues. Stick with 3M...Oracal...and Avery for all of the materials.

Any questions just ask....oh...and this guy...is the KING of vehicle wraps...check them out.

http://www.360wraps.com/home2.html

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 07:14 AM

Quote:

he told me you can wrinkle the 3M stuff up in a ball, pull it back out and heat it and every wrinkle will come right out just like it was new.

yup...only if it's laminated....and you use a propane torch to take out the creases....the vinyl has memory. You can also apply it...then pul it up..when you squeegie it down microscopic glass beads actually get pushed into the adhesive...until they are compressed the glass beads act as a "lube" so the vinly can be applied and removed....then once it's where you want it...you squeegie it down the use heat to activate the adhesive.

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 07:32 AM

Quote:

Bob, here's their site has color samples and the wrinkel video http://store.carbonfibergear.com/3m-di-noc-carbon-fiber-vinyl

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 07:37 AM

this is the crazy carbon .known as water transfer.
just a dip in a bath like plating gives you this

Attached picture 6334652-!B,g7b7w!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKiUEjlLmV48!BKry0fNoP!~~_12.jpg

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 07:37 AM

Attached picture 6334653-!B,g7kwQCGk~$(KGrHgoOKjMEjlLmV-moBKry16cvuw~~_12.jpg

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 07:54 AM

Quote:

that is crazy that you can get that effect from dipping parts
there is some very cool stuff on the market
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 08:15 AM

Ever thought about just making carbon panels for the inside of the car, Bob. From what I have dealt with it is easier than sheetmetal to deal with. I have seen some wraps that looked incredible. Especially at PRI. But, when someone who knows paint gets close they can tell it is a wrap. I would jump to do graphics in wrap but personally not want the whole car wrapped. The prices I have heard were around $3K for the whole car. You still have to have a straight body. I can get a car painted with quality paint for $3k if the body work is done no problem. But, I understand your cituation someone else is footing the bill plus some other bills. GO FOR IT.

Leon

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 08:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

that is crazy that you can get that effect from dipping parts
there is some very cool stuff on the market

WHEELS COST 100 UP TO 150
heres samples make sure to check the whhels aslo

I SAW THIS AND WANTED MY ENTIRE CAR DIPPED
http://mmcustomfinishing.com/Site/RaceParts.html

watch the video and dipping.way too simple and easy to believe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZC3D1_uSCs
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 08:20 AM

I like paint
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 09:09 AM

Bob, your car is TOOOOOO NICE to cover it up with a wrap.
I would maybe do small parts or window stickers but NOT a wrap. Maybe the hood or trunk would look Good.
Just my
David

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 09:15 AM

Quote:

I would maybe do small parts or window stickers but NOT a wrap. Maybe the hood or trunk would look Good.
Just my
David

I have looked at hundreds of cars and parts using wraps done with the carbon. It looks it's best when used as a trim
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 10:40 AM

Quote:

Just my
David

I agree Dave! Bob I will kick your you know what if you cover that car!!!
Posted By: DakFink

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 06:27 PM

I would say Go For it!!

But as ChassisMan ststed you need to remove it every so often.

So some where in the Sponsorship contract have a clause that requires them to replace it every year (between seasons)with a different design or scheme and if they decide to pull out of sponsorship they are required to remove their product and return car to original state.

Let me know how it goes. I may be in for something for the Dakota. Whenever you get it finished.
Posted By: Hitman340

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 06:44 PM

I had a partial on my last car.I sold it just this spring and after 4 yrs it still looked good.Just don't spill any methanol on it.There is a guy near me that also does the dip method ans I think he gets .37 cents a square in for it.Will be happy to put you in contact with him if you need.
I think I know what Im doing with my new wheels.

Attached picture 6335253-BracketFinals2009.jpg

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 07:38 PM

Quote:

I had a partial on my last car.I sold it just this spring and after 4 yrs it still looked good.Just don't spill any methanol on it.There is a guy near me that also does the dip method ans I think he gets .37 cents a square in for it.Will be happy to put you in contact with him if you need.
I think I know what Im doing with my new wheels.

If they used quality laminate ...methanol or brake cleaner doesnt affect it...

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 08:39 PM

I'll let the cat out guys.....we're currently looking into the hydrographic application system. It's not cheap to get the ball rolling but we need to add it as another dimension to our services we already offer.HOPEFULLY by Feb/March we'll be up and running.

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 09:29 PM

Quote:

the hydrographic application system

Didn't Michael Jackson sleep in one of them

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 09:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the hydrographic application system

Didn't Michael Jackson sleep in one of them

I bet his was cheaper that what this set up runs.... it takes 2000sq ft of shop space just for the basic set up(Prep...application...rinse....and coating).We're considering doing it at a different location due to the area it takes up. But that just adds to overhead and logistics issues.

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 10:01 PM

im not going to do a whole wrap on it, just the alum. and bumpers will be done in the carbon wrap
the paint is way to nice to cover it up.

im thinking of doing the blackout treatment on it in carbon also but havent decided that yet

i will be doing all aluminum and trim peices myself

sample colors should be here tomorrow so i can start playing with it

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 10:27 PM

Quote:

im not going to do a whole wrap on it, just the alum. and bumpers will be done in the carbon wrap
the paint is way to nice to cover it up.

im thinking of doing the blackout treatment on it in carbon also but havent decided that yet

i will be doing all aluminum and trim peices myself

sample colors should be here tomorrow so i can start playing with it

Now that your car will be looking good...time to make Bob's Pro Fab look good....wanna barter some ...T-shirts...Banners...Embroidered letterman style jackets...etc for some front end stuff?....LMAO

Here's what I did this week on the single head machine...10 letterman jackets. 165,000 to 265,00 stitches... by the time all the patches and embroidery is done they run 375.00-460.00 a jacket..I have 10 more for next week...
My guys are stitching 1100 hoodies on the 8 head machine.
I love XMAS time.....
Posted By: supercomp

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 10:55 PM

These guy's are good at wraps. They can bring it to the dragstrip and install it. They do a lot of dragsters, funny cars, pro stocks and everything. It is a V Gaines owned company.

http://www.finelineonestop.com/
Posted By: topside

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/03/10 11:39 PM

I wouldn't be able to wrap the Profab Special if it were mine. Why not have them wrap the trailer, and just letter the car instead? (Trailer goes into the hero shots as background.)
Been around a lot of wrapped trucks, and what I've noticed is there are a lot of razor-blade cuts, and after a while it's such a PITA to remove that around here there are guys who just cover over it with a solid-color wrap when it's time to loose the art.

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/04/10 12:00 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't be able to wrap the Profab Special if it were mine. Why not have them wrap the trailer, and just letter the car instead? (Trailer goes into the hero shots as background.)
Been around a lot of wrapped trucks, and what I've noticed is there are a lot of razor-blade cuts, and after a while it's such a PITA to remove that around here there are guys who just cover over it with a solid-color wrap when it's time to loose the art.

If there are cuts in the designs....time to find a new wrap installer. THE ONLY place we make relief cuts are on the rear bumper areas on some of these new cars. Trucks have ZERO cuts and are the easiest to do.(Exception is duallys....real PITA's...but still...one pice!)
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Race Car Wrap - 12/04/10 01:17 AM

This is all very intriguing and definitely gives me a few ideas for my project, like bumpers,door handles. Anybody up here in western Canada doing this product that you guys know of?
© 2024 Moparts Forums