Moparts

ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ????

Posted By: mopars rule

ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 03:57 AM

I am ready to put in my A pillar posts for my rolll cage. I see a lot of them welded to the 6 x 6 plate welded to the floor pan. What other ways have some of you mounted yours to the floor. Looking for a little more solid way to do it. Pictures would be helpful also.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 04:10 AM

if youre using a factory floor pan not a lot you can do unless you want to add floor bars either under it or on top.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 04:18 AM

I would sugest that you keep the bar as far forward as possable so you notch the front of the dash

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 05:03 AM

I have thought about possibly welding a piece of tubing from the trans crossmember to the floor support about 7" forward of it. I would like to come up through the floor pan with it. Would this be worth doing or a waste of time?
Posted By: StrokerAspen

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 05:08 AM

Quote:

I have thought about possibly welding a piece of tubing from the trans crossmember to the floor support about 7" forward of it. I would like to come up through the floor pan with it. Would this be worth doing or a waste of time?

not totally sure what you mean here. Would it be diagonal under your feet and legs, going 7" further forward and outward to where to a pillar bar comes down?

-Kenny

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 05:13 AM

Just going forward to another floor support. The tubing would be against the rocker panel and welded to it also.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 05:14 AM

I this would be a waste of time and effort.

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 05:24 AM

Looks like I might have to just do it the old way and weld the plates to the floor. Unless someone comes up with an idea.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 06:29 AM

I put put a piece of 2X3 tubing from the unibody to the rocker then weld the a pillar bar to it. My main hoop is done that way also. My car is 25.5 and its legal.

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 06:31 AM

Any chance you have a picture of that handywork?
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 06:31 AM

Quote:

I put put a piece of 2X3 tubing from the unibody to the rocker then weld the a pillar bar to it.

THIS ^^^^ if you plan on going faster than 8.50 it will need it anyways

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 06:33 AM

Quote:

Any chance you have a picture of that handywork?

I have a bottom pic of my car but the lift is in the way. if you look real careful you can see the rear ones.

Posted By: BobsProFab

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 06:36 AM

Quote:

I put put a piece of 2X3 tubing from the unibody to the rocker then weld the a pillar bar to it. My main hoop is done that way also. My car is 25.5 and its legal.

thats how i done my Dart its 25.5 now
just slot the floor pan by the rocker to slide the 2x3 thru the floor angled from the frame rail to the rocker (plate the rocker)
there might be pics on my website under customer cars of when i did the Dart for Brian

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 06:42 AM

I can just barely see the one on the passenger side right above the yellow lift pad. Looks like your bars go a little farther forward than mine. Mine will stop just forward of the trans crossmember. By the way, nice ride.

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 06:45 AM

Thanks! My bars go thru the dash and stick right with the pillar so they can't be seen fromoutside

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 07:00 AM

Thanks for the info fellas. I just went to the garage and looked at my car and I see exactly what you are talking about. I will be doing exactly that. That's the knowledge I was looking for. Thanks.
Posted By: dvw

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 03:07 PM

I removed the front brace between the rocker and frame rail for access. I also found it easier to remove a section of the floor for access and reinstall it afterward. I plated the rocker before installing 2"x3" tube.
Doug

Attached picture 6324746-racecar406.jpg
Posted By: dvw

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 03:09 PM

another pic

Attached picture 6324748-racecar461.jpg
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 03:19 PM

I did the same thing at the rear as the front, I like the 2x3 tube method better then the plate meathod. If your floor pan isn't super clean and rust free then the 6x6 plate would probably punch right through it if you put your car on it's lid. I also agree with what was said abouve about putting the a pilar bars through the dash, mine are in front and they are a P.I.T.A. to get in and out of the car. I'm changing that since I'm 25.5'ing my car. here is a pic of the rear on my junk.
Steve

Re: ROLL CAGE --- A PILLAR POST QUESTION ???? - 11/28/10 09:18 PM

Excellent pictures. Thanks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums