Moparts

Small Block Turbo?

Posted By: Cudahlr

Small Block Turbo? - 11/26/10 11:22 PM

I'm looking to build a small block 400+" based on a 340 replacement block, its gonna mostly be a street car, but will definitely see the track a lot. Looking to run mid to high 9's. I need to pick a turbo, not sure of sizing, I have been looking at the Borg Warner s400sx4 75mm with an a/r of 1.32, but not sure if it will work for what im trying to do.

Any help would be great!
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Small Block Turbo? - 11/27/10 01:44 AM

There are several posts about a "small block turbo" on this forum. Do a search but here is a start: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0&fpart=1
Posted By: rdakota340

Re: Small Block Turbo? - 11/27/10 05:28 AM

Befor you call for a turbo they will want to know what HP goal is,sounds like you are going for 700 to 900 hp,for just a guess with that many cubes they might say go S480 good thing about BW turbos you can up grade easy.Randy
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Small Block Turbo? - 11/30/10 07:53 PM

I agree, 475 might be a little on the small side for that many cubes. But as mentioned, it just depends on the goals.

Do you want to run 9's with good suspension, transbraked boosted launch at 140mph... or run 9's with junk suspension at 155mph?

That is a big power difference...
Posted By: instigator

Re: Small Block Turbo? - 11/30/10 08:36 PM

Quote:

I agree, 475 might be a little on the small side for that many cubes. But as mentioned, it just depends on the goals.

Do you want to run 9's with good suspension, transbraked boosted launch at 140mph... or run 9's with junk suspension at 155mph?

What....a stock suspension turbo car can 9,s all day.
At 140 range easily.....don,t make it more complicated than it needs to be.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Small Block Turbo? - 11/30/10 08:58 PM

I run 8's with stock suspension....and Im going to try to run faster than that next year on stock suspension
Posted By: Cudahlr

Re: Small Block Turbo? - 12/01/10 12:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What....a stock suspension turbo car can 9,s all day.
At 140 range easily.....don,t make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Right now the car has a full caltrac setup in the rear, with 9-way shocks, 8 3/4" with 4.10 gears, front has caltrac shocks, adjustable upper a-arms, and slant 6 bars. I still want the car streetable and reliable.
Posted By: instigator

Re: Small Block Turbo? - 12/01/10 02:12 AM

I was going mid 5s at 128 MPH in the 1/8th onhemi leafs and homemade traction bars @ 3500 lbs...Dana 60 3.54 gears 90-10's on 295 drag radials....

And if get a chance to get me sum of that green duster it will be on!
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Small Block Turbo? - 12/01/10 02:15 AM

I'm not saying it can't be done. But I guarnatee my Savoy will make enough power to run in the 9's, but it'll NEVER have the chassis or tire to make it happen.

Josh, I'm sure your HUGE tire car hook better then my stock worn out leaf spring, stock shocks, and 26 x 10.5" et streets... Saying you have a "stock suspension" car is misleading to someone that thinks it's an old beat up duster with 255/60 Radial T/A's on it.

There is just a big difference between a "good" stock suspension/tire, and a "stock" stock suspension/tire.

I'm just saying, there is more to ET then just power... but I'm definitely not saying it can't be done on what he listed... you're right that is more then enough to get the job done.
Posted By: feets

Re: Small Block Turbo? - 12/01/10 03:50 AM

Quote:

And if get a chance to get me sum of that green duster it will be on!

Don't make me break out the Concorde and whip both of you boys!
That's a High Output 3.5 under the hood. I smoked a kid in a Honda the other day. You don't want none of this!

© 2024 Moparts Forums