Moparts

The price you pay

Posted By: BadMoonRacer

The price you pay - 11/23/10 05:45 PM

Hi folks

I live far away from the U.S. but nevertheless I buy most of my race parts directly from various vendors there. For example my last purchase was a dual master cylinder from Rick Ehrenberg who´s selling them here on Moparts: A good product at a fair price. Shipping was $50 for that master cylinder.
Then, earlier today I needed a good 727 trans gasket. Checked out Jegs.com. Their price for the Moroso #710-93110 gasket is reasonable $25.99 and I am even willing to tolerate a handling charge of $9.99. But there is no way I´m willing to pay their shipping charge of $106.86!!
Total: $142.84.
But wait, we´re not done yet: The Icelandic import tax is 24.5% of that total amount; bringing the total to $177.83 for ONE trans pan gasket.

Who is the fat cat Jegs is feeding with these ridiculous shipping costs?

Besides not buying stuff from Jegs until their shipping price returns to earth I´m also calling the Guinness Book of World Records.

Ragnar in Iceland
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: The price you pay - 11/23/10 06:00 PM

JEGS treats me well but they use FED EX and that may be the problem compared to a normal person using USPS to ship to another country
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: The price you pay - 11/23/10 06:38 PM

Seems to me you could just mail a pan gasket using the post office here. Way cheaper.

If you call Jegs and talk to someone they may be willing to do that for you.
Posted By: rebel

Re: The price you pay - 11/23/10 06:51 PM

i'm an out of country racer who gets the same run around. i've used Jegs before but you have to confirm the freight before you go ahead with the purchase. sometimes their freight price is wrong!. Summit have a freight calculator on their site so you know how much your pockets will feel the pain before you buy, that is a better option for me when wanting stuff in a hurry.
Posted By: topside

Re: The price you pay - 11/23/10 06:55 PM

Specify USPS shipping; you can check prices at their website, usps.com. First Class is usually cheapest, but occasionally Priority International is about the same. They also have flat rate boxes, which are almost exempt from weight charges. Sometimes using your own box and shipping it Priority Intl is cheaper than the flat rate box.
We ship our tools all over the world, and USPS beats FedEx & UPS by a ton.
Posted By: deaks

Re: The price you pay - 11/23/10 10:07 PM

Just dont use Jeg's, They are out to milk the foreign market, it sickens me, summit are the same.
The average american hasn't got a clue the amount of import duty we are paying abroad.
I always try and use smaller traders off moparts if i can.
Mick
Posted By: goody340g

Re: The price you pay - 11/23/10 10:15 PM

Quote:

Just dont use Jeg's, They are out to milk the foreign market, it sickens me, summit are the same.
The average american hasn't got a clue the amount of import duty we are paying abroad.
Mick

why don't you start ur own company making parts and sell them for half the price of U.S. stuff and make a killin. this would be the american way.
Posted By: mafo

Re: The price you pay - 11/23/10 10:18 PM

many companies refuses to use anything else than UPS or FEDEX, I always use USPS if I can, and yes we too pay 23%+ 4-5% customs fee, even on the shipping costs!
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: The price you pay - 11/23/10 10:22 PM

Did Jegs do the brokering and add the import duties to that bill??

I hear Summit will send by mail if you phone and ask!
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: The price you pay - 11/23/10 10:28 PM

Find somebody that ships usps like summit.
I got stuff from these guys also that ship usps
http://www.carshopinc.com/
Man, I thought we got the shaft in Canada.

Re: The price you pay - 11/23/10 10:29 PM

Jeg's dont broker the duty, they are just out to rip us foreigners off.
Quite often, parts will be over a third more expensive by the time they get to our door.
Mick
Posted By: toddd

Re: The price you pay - 11/23/10 10:30 PM

I quit buying from the Summit and Jegs because of their shipping.

I HAVE specified USPS and it showed up via UPS with a hefty brokerage fee too boot.

If they don't want to listen to their customers, they can keep their parts.

Re: The price you pay - 11/23/10 10:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mick

why don't you start ur own company making parts and sell them for half the price of U.S. stuff and make a killin. this would be the american way.

Yeah, that's what makes the US a great country, you still have freedoms and aspirations.

Re: The price you pay - 11/23/10 10:34 PM

Summit has always been good to me but it still sucks paying all this extra money, you can always ship by boat but it takes a couple of months
Posted By: Keith Black®

Re: The price you pay - 11/23/10 10:52 PM

shipping costs are one of the largest costs for building a car outside the US.
Posted By: dstryr

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 02:07 AM

Does USPS offer small package service and pick-up for hundreds of parcels a day at a Summit or Jegs like UPS or FedEx? No way the vendors will box it up and then pay someone to drive over to the post office to stand in line and mail it.

At the same time, high-volume shippers do get shipping discounts and may not pass on the discount, so you may be paying list price while they make more GP$ on the freight out. You might look on the UPS site and see the walk-in retail rate and a shipper with a commercial account might be paying 1/2 or less.
Posted By: BobsProFab

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 02:30 AM

a quote from Fedex International to ship front end parts to switzerland to a customer was over $600.00 plus all the duty and broker fee's
i feel for you guys over seas trying to build cars.
Posted By: cbarracuda

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 02:56 AM

make your own gasguet
Posted By: DakFink

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 05:16 AM

USPS is the way to go as long as the local Postal Service in the receiving country is reliable.

Example: Kuwait=No I still have a Box MIA from back in 1996.
India=Yes slow but it will get there eventually. I send to my mother-in-law this way no issues yet.

All USPS mail rides on DHL or even sometimes Fed-Ex / UPS planes to get there anyways.

All I would suggest is make sure you get Insurance and some form of tracking and Signature Receipt. Which are extra but very minimal.

Far as companies only using UPS and FedEx that's because they are just plain too lazy!!! USPS does have a pick-up service but you have to actually PickUp the phone an schedule a Pick-Up. They don't just come around pick it up every day like UPS/FedEx does with businesses. If the business has their Mail Delivered directly to their shop, they can just as easy ask the delivering person about a pick-up.

I work overseas a lot and it is extremely expensive to get things sent out in the places I work via DHL or Fed ex (UPS is too scared to come here LOL). I won't order form anyone that doesn't ship via USPS.

Used to be DHL was the way to go for Int'l shipping. They went places no one else would go and the prices were cheaper. But they closed their US Operations (even though they were an American Company). They will ship into the US. But I don't think they do any shipping out any more.
Posted By: DaKuda

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 05:42 AM

With our business ANYTHING being shipped larger that a letter is HIGHER when using the post office. We just did a price quote on this sending a package out that is 9 lbs. USPS = $12.75 FedEx was $12.01 and U.P.S. was $11.23. The rates the post office charges when you get away from anything very lite or simply a letter is higher than the other two. We ONLY use U.P.S. here. They are the only ones that seem to be able to find us and get here when they say they will...
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 06:19 AM

All you guys who live out of counrty...I'll make a deal for you, and try to save you some money.

Send me money via Pay-pal. eaxact price of the item you want. I'll go to jegs and pick it up myself, either from their store front, or will-call at the warehouse. I live 35 minutes from their closest storefront, and 20 minutes from their huge warehouse.

I will then label the package as "used junk, value $5" and ship it to you the cheapest way I can--whether it's in an envelope through the USPS, or a box through Fed-ex.

all I ask is you pay me what it costs me...for the part plus the shipping.

maybe i can help you guys save money on import taxes and crap.

problem is, I'm in Afghanistan right now for another 40 days or so.
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 07:03 AM

Tom....thanks again for your service over there. What branch?
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 07:32 AM

Do you have any dodge/chrysler/jeep dealers over there? The factory gasket for the 518 tranny is pretty nice. Been using the same one for 3 years or so, and had it off a couple of times on 2 different trannys. It is made of hard plastic with 2 silicone beads formed on both sides to seal it up nice. Hope this helps. Beep

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 09:36 AM

Quote:

All you guys who live out of counrty...I'll make a deal for you, and try to save you some money.

Send me money via Pay-pal. eaxact price of the item you want. I'll go to jegs and pick it up myself, either from their store front, or will-call at the warehouse. I live 35 minutes from their closest storefront, and 20 minutes from their huge warehouse.

I will then label the package as "used junk, value $5" and ship it to you the cheapest way I can--whether it's in an envelope through the USPS, or a box through Fed-ex.

thats a great offer but as BG found when he tried to send me a couple of items, it's harder than you think. customs stop short of giving you a cavity search when you send items they can't identify on their x ray machine. ask BG.

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 10:16 AM

Quote:

Tom....thanks again for your service over there. What branch?

Air Force...Reserves

I'm just a part timer now, putting in weekends and a few weeks a year...plus the occasional deployment!

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 10:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

thats a great offer but as BG found when he tried to send me a couple of items, it's harder than you think. customs stop short of giving you a cavity search when you send items they can't identify on their x ray machine. ask BG.

Who cares what Customs THINKS it is? If you put the exact description on the package/forms, there shouldn't be any reason why it won't make it through...as long as it's not fruits/produce, meat, or other illegal items, they shouldn't care...all they are looking for is the value that you say they are worth.

you want a new tachometer? just list "automotive gauge--tachometer, used" in the item description, then in the value columm, put "$5"
Posted By: tubtar

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 12:08 PM

Quote:

Who cares what Customs THINKS it is? If you put the exact description on the package/forms, there shouldn't be any reason why it won't make it through...as long as it's not fruits/produce, meat, or other illegal items, they shouldn't care...all they are looking for is the value that you say they are worth.

you want a new tachometer? just list "automotive gauge--tachometer, used" in the item description, then in the value columm, put "$5"

This does work...........and is a great offer to boot.
I have sent switchblade knives to Europe , labeling them " spring compressors " , which they are of a sort and haven't lost one yet.
This is probably going to end my streak , but it has worked about a dozen times.
Strangely , Canada seems to be the worst in terms of delays.
But I will put myself out there as a freight forwarder if anyone needs this kind of assistance.
Smaller stuff can easily go as a gift too , which gets less attention duty wise.

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 07:42 PM

70cuda 383
I wish everyone thought like you, we'd get a better deal all round.
Some small traders are more accommodating than others.
I may just contact you in the future.
Mick
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 07:48 PM

I did a member here a favor and sent him a part free,the shipping cost me $89 for a 2"x6" package.

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 10:38 PM

But I will put myself out there as a freight forwarder if anyone needs this kind of assistance.
Smaller stuff can easily go as a gift too , which gets less attention duty wise.

I hope you understand what you are promising here

Re: The price you pay - 11/24/10 10:40 PM

People on the other side of the pond, dont want something for nothing, just a little help.
Mick

Re: The price you pay - 11/25/10 07:37 AM

Quote:

70cuda 383
I wish everyone thought like you, we'd get a better deal all round.
Some small traders are more accommodating than others.
I may just contact you in the future.
Mick

Anytime! Like I say, I live just a 20 minute drive from the Jegs warehouse. I can call their 1-800 number, tell them it's a willcall order, and pick anything up from their cataloge in 4 hours. and it's a 24 hour operation at the ware house, but the will-call window is only open from like 8-5, but you can call them at 7 when you wake up, puts around the house, then go pick it up by lunch time.

All I ask is that you cover whatever it costs me to buy the part and ship it...I wanna help you guys out, but I'm not loaded

I like the "gift" idea, I forgot about that one. it's your birthday soon, right?

Re: The price you pay - 11/25/10 11:07 AM

do you take Visa?
Posted By: therocks

Re: The price you pay - 11/25/10 11:20 AM

I shipped a 57 air cleaner to Australia.UPS wanted 240 bucks.Sent it thru the post office.It was like 40 bucks.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums