Moparts

PROCHARGER VS. TURBO

Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/18/10 08:41 PM

Thinking of making some changes and was wondering whats the difference between the 2?? Which one is cheaper?? Which one can make more power??
Posted By: joshking440

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/18/10 08:48 PM

Turbo can make more power, turbo can be a little cheaper, but its close I think when you build a nice set up, turbo is cooler, im just sayin
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/18/10 09:06 PM

depends on your welding skills. If you have to pay somebody to fab it all up for you, you'll have a tone in the turbo
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/18/10 09:08 PM

Providing oil and plumbing the pop off and exhaust can be intimidating on a turbo, but like was said I think a turbo has more AHHHH appeal.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/18/10 09:36 PM

screw
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 12:16 AM

cheaper and more power, hmmmmm those 2 words don't go together at all.

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 01:37 AM

Quote:

IF and that's a big word IF you can do the fab work. if not you'll probably spend more on the turbos. Turbos are cheap. I hope to get my welding skills up for the next build. I'd like to run 2 into a 500 wedge.
Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 02:04 AM

I've set up both for drag cars and I'll tell you this:
The turbo is A LOT easier to control at launch.
The Procharger creates boost instantly which (at least on the engines I have done) blows off the tires or causes wheelies you don't want to do. With a turbo you can launch easy, hook up, and then the boost comes in for the rest of the race. Can be the difference between life and the alternative.

On the street the Procharger is more fun for the same reasons...
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 02:15 AM

Quote:

yep guess about 20k fell in his pocket.

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 03:32 AM

Quote:

The Procharger creates boost instantly which (at least on the engines I have done) blows off the tires or causes wheelies you don't want to do. With a turbo you can launch easy, hook up, and then the boost comes in for the rest of the race. Can be the difference between life and the alternative.

I have to disagree with this. a properly set up procharged car will go right down the track without any help. I do it regulary and i'm on true 10.5's

A procharged car can leave off idle, a turbo can't

No need for a boost controller with the procharger as the boost is directly associated with RPM

i have more but lets let the turbo guys come up with their pros
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 03:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have to disagree with this. a properly set up procharged car will go right down the track without any help. I do it regulary and i'm on true 10.5's

No need for a boost controller with the procharger as the boost is directly associated with RPM

" Doug Sikora"
Posted By: demon440

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 06:09 AM

Bigtime,
If I run a procharger on my 500" stroked 440 on the street, do I have to run an intercooler?
Or can I just bolt on the procharger and go?

Attached picture 6309004-2motor.JPG

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 06:11 AM

I run no ntercooler on mine but use c-16.

Its all about a combination so not knowing yours i wouldn't be able to answer this.
Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 06:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think it's a matter of HP developed vs hook potential. If the HP is manageable you can hook it up, but when you get on the edge of crazy - I'd rather drive a turbo car. On the street nothing feels as good as instant boost. It takes a really disciplined driver to leave at idle, or just above, and not just hammer it. And if you do, and the car stays hooked, then you weren't close to crazy yet... Just my
Posted By: demon440

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 06:19 AM

Thanks,
When I get to that stage of the game I will
contact you about purchasing one and how to go about setting it up for street/strip duty.
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 02:11 PM

The reason I ask is because Ive been thinking of selling my duster and getting some new muscle like a magnum and throw on a turbo or procharger.

Thanks for all the responces!!!

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 02:22 PM

Quote:

Bigtime,
If I run a procharger on my 500" stroked 440 on the street, do I have to run an intercooler?
Or can I just bolt on the procharger and go?

depends on how much boost you want to run. I'd say if you stayed around 6-8psi you should be good. My budy runs 12psi w/ a SB turbo w/o one.
Posted By: Jerry

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 03:00 PM

Sorry i don;t mean to hijack the post, but does it make a difference on whether you pick turbo vs procharger if the car is a stick vs an auto?
Posted By: DakFink

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 04:13 PM

Quote:

The reason I ask is because Ive been thinking of selling my duster and getting some new muscle like a magnum and throw on a turbo or procharger.

If your talking about a Modern MAGNUM with a Hemi in it you would be better off with your Duster and building something to put in it.

The Gen III Hemis from the factory don't like boost too much. Mopar used crap pistons in them. 5-6 psi is average; 8 psi is pushing it.

I want to put a Screw Supercharger on My Challeneger SRT-8 BUT I know me . 5-8psi isn't cutting it, and I don't want to rebuild the bottom end just to push 10-12psi. So I'm leaving well enough alone for now.
Posted By: fastfish

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 04:48 PM

Quote:

We've been boosting Mopars since the early 90's and use both ProChargers and Turbos. They are comparibly priced when all is said and done. you'll need certain gadgets and upgrades for the supercharger that you won't need for the turbo and vice versa.
for the new car, your biggest issue you'll run into is tuning. There aren't a lot of good tuning options for new Mopars. And the more power you try to make, the more spot on the tune needs to be.
And as a side note, Mikes 73 Duster started off as a Procharged car running really well. Just by switching to turbos, he was utilizing the engine's power better because it was no longer being consumed to spin the blower (parasitic loss). To spin the bigger blowers takes anywhere from 150-200hp...
Because it's tuned properly, Mike has no issues coming out of the hole...see here.

what turbo lag?!
Posted By: turbobitt

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 07:07 PM

I don't know what the typical cost of a blower kit would be but there is definatly more fab work with Turbo's. Based on my own experience with my turbo buick, I think the HP potential is much better with turbo's because theres more flexibility and options with turbocharging. Either way, I would do EFI with both.

Allan G.
Posted By: fastfish

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/19/10 08:05 PM

Quote:

I don't know what the typical cost of a blower kit would be but there is definatly more fab work with Turbo's. Based on my own experience with my turbo buick, I think the HP potential is much better with turbo's because theres more flexibility and options with turbocharging. Either way, I would do EFI with both.

Allan G.

I'd agree for the home-builder, but if someone wants to buy a high-quality kit designed to last, we offer them along with our supercharger systems.

turbo kits for mopar cars and trucks

turbo mopar price sheet
Posted By: BobR

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/23/10 04:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Our 135 Procharger ran a best speed of 210 at 45 pounds of boost. Our twin turbo car with the exact same engine has gone 225.50 with 44 pounds of boost weighing 200 pounds more. Guess which makes the most power?
Posted By: 526ciduster

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/27/10 06:33 AM

Turbo,s have a heck of a top end charge. But not many have a 1.17 60ft at 3,300 lbs. You can leave much harder with a procharger if you know how to tune the suspension. My friends mustange with a turbo will out mph mine by 5mph but i run 4 tenths faster.
Posted By: Keith BlackĀ®

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/27/10 08:53 AM

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/27/10 03:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Our 135 Procharger ran a best speed of 210 at 45 pounds of boost. Our twin turbo car with the exact same engine has gone 225.50 with 44 pounds of boost weighing 200 pounds more. Guess which makes the most power?

You didn't list the ET, so i'm going to guess the procharger ET'd better. Plus what was the comparative size of the twin turbo's inlets versus the single procharger?
Posted By: Duner

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/27/10 05:07 PM

I love threads like this one.

I'd say go ahead and go with the Procharger... That way when you want another performance increase - you can swap to turbos. ;>) LOL
Posted By: feets

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/27/10 06:03 PM

Quote:

Turbo,s have a heck of a top end charge. But not many have a 1.17 60ft at 3,300 lbs. You can leave much harder with a procharger if you know how to tune the suspension. My friends mustange with a turbo will out mph mine by 5mph but i run 4 tenths faster.

That's odd. There are several 4 second (1/8 mile) turbo cars around here.

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/28/10 02:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's odd. There are several 4 second (1/8 mile) turbo cars around here.

Both cars run in the fours.
I did not see the part about twins. I was comparing single to single. my bad

Attached picture 6324019-dsc4115a.jpg

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/28/10 02:24 AM

So your chassis is set up a little better than his when it comes to the hole shot. Nice job.

I'll stick with my turbos.
Posted By: CW25

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/28/10 03:13 AM

Both can be made to go about as fast as most anyone wants but I prefer beltless.

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/28/10 04:16 AM

Quote:

Both can be made to go about as fast as most anyone wants but I prefer beltless.

We only ran one car belt drive and yanked the snout off the crank so we have only used gear driven since.

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/28/10 04:22 AM

Quote:

So your chassis is set up a little better than his when it comes to the hole shot. Nice job.

I'll stick with my turbos.

I was not asking you to change just offering an opinion. Both are very fast and are close to the same price.

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/28/10 05:21 AM

I understood your point. No biggie. I simply like turbos.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: PROCHARGER VS. TURBO - 11/30/10 05:35 PM

It really depends on the power level too... you can buy a BW-S475 turbo for less then $600 brand new, or chinese MP stuff even cheaper if you dare.

Yes, you'd still need to build the hot side, and get a wastegate, but you can't even come close to touching that price with a procharged system at that HP level.

I'll have less then $2500 into my entire turbo build for my '62 (Turbo, wastegate, blow off valve, hot side piping, cold side piping, flanges, bands, clamps, hat, carb conversion, etc...)

But I'm doing it all myself too... if you had to pay someone to fab the piping, it certainly wouldn't be that cheap...
© 2024 Moparts Forums