Did that happen at the track?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 04:14 PM

that will buff right out

hope the drive is good

it deff "well used" now
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 04:14 PM

Can your mother sew ? Well BOOM have her sew that!

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 04:15 PM

Quote:

Did that happen at the track?

Ever been to Yello Belly ??

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 04:15 PM

Ouch

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 04:16 PM

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 04:32 PM

From a trip I took earlier this years

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 04:44 PM

Quote:

I believe the driver is ok, checking to make sure

I think there is too much preload in the chassis.
Hope he is ok.
What is yellow belly?

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 04:50 PM

Quote:

What is yellow belly?

see post above
Posted By: 1AARCUDA

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 04:51 PM

Yello Belly is a drag strip in the dallas tx area, been there since 1955 and is well not very safe to put it mildly.

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 05:03 PM

PS

It is YELLO BELLY .. no w on Yello
Posted By: silverfish

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 05:12 PM

Wow, that is one tore up car! That track is just insane.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 05:14 PM

Yella Belly is a Out Law Track outside of Dallas. They ask you at the gate if you have a knife, if you do they encourage you to go home and get your gun.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 05:20 PM

Ya know over the years I have found the no matter the size the tree always wins....Hope the driver is ok.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 05:22 PM

WOW I thought 41 in Enos IN was bad.
Usually you have to wear helmets and jackets...Although one time I did see 3 guys (pit crew?) holding the rear wheel openings and bumper during a burnout. Couldn't afford or heard of a lineloc? It makes my fingers tingle everytime I think about it.
Or during an "all run" race a 10 second car racing a junior dragster. Boy if something went wrong....
Really makes me appreciate tracks like Gateway! Don

Attached picture 6307826-BKD6_09_10_191A.jpg
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 05:28 PM

I wrapped a real 71 RT challenger around a telephone pole on the street that bad or worse back in 1978. Luckly I was by myself, otherwise whoever was in the pass seat would have been dead.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 06:46 PM

Why on earth would anyone want to race at a craphole track like that...
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 06:50 PM

Man that's crazy. Hope the driver is OK. That car would be a two piecer without the bar in it.

If you've never been to da belly.. you really need to see it at least once. Well, maybe not!

Yes, it was pretty rough in the 80's when I lived there.

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 06:52 PM

There are several outlaw tracks around , I ran my car down Ardmore, its wild too

no kidding , before we ran the guy had to go clear the cow piles off the track

Posted By: joshking440

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 07:09 PM

Did they recently reopen the track

I remember being down there about 15 years ago seeing a track like that around dallas that was closed up. I was only about 15 at the time, but looks very similiar

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 07:25 PM

It always looks closed up but, as far i know it never has been?

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 07:57 PM

Quote:

There are several outlaw tracks around , I ran my car down Ardmore, its wild too

[/quote)

Ardmore can get interesting as it is on the prairie and it runs East and West. Nothing between it and the North pole. Big end gets a little dusty and the wind picks up it can make you grip that steering wheel pretty tight. I am pretty sure that is where Lee Shepard was killed in Reher&Morrison Prostock.

Yes they will stop the race to move cows across the track if you are racing at milking time.
Posted By: Jwilli500

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 08:30 PM

There's a reason their big event is/was called "The Cow Pasture Nationals"! Nothing like picking grass and weeds outta your grill after a pass!
Quote:

Posted By: StrokerAspen

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 08:37 PM

WOW!!
Posted By: dvw

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 08:47 PM

If you boys ever come up to Michigan I'll have to show you Lapeer "International". Not as bad but unique in its own way.
Doug

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 08:53 PM

Oahe, in Piere South Dakota has a big banked dogleg in the shut down area , thats kinda wild

Posted By: Cudajon

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 09:16 PM

I was stationed at Duncanville for a couple of years 65-67. Raced at Yello Belly one time, scared the bejuzzus outta me, 1/8 mile track with almost zero shutdown and hard turn at the end (think Fast and Furious "killed on a left turn" comment). Our Bn commander put it off limits when a couple of troppies got put in the hospital during a fight. Big time gambling goes on there.
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 09:33 PM

Quote:

If you boys ever come up to Michigan I'll have to show you Lapeer "International". Not as bad but unique in its own way.
Doug

Yeah.."International"..lol...Do they still race 1/4 mile, there? There may be alotta tracks like it...but Lapeer is "ours". But at least we have Milan, Martin, and Stanton..all top notch tracks. Ubly is good too.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 11:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

Yeah.."International"..lol...Do they still race 1/4 mile, there? There may be alotta tracks like it...but Lapeer is "ours". But at least we have Milan, Martin, and Stanton..all top notch tracks. Ubly is good too.

Yes Lapeer runs 1/4 most of the time. Ever been up north to Kaleva? Its like Lapeer only 1/8 mile. I was up there a month ago. Made 28 passes in my buddys 09 Challenger.
Doug
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 11:16 PM

Quote:

Ya know over the years I have found the no matter the size the tree always wins....Hope the driver is ok.

What is the difference between letting a tree grow or planting steel posts. Can you imagine what would have happened, to this Mustang a couple of weeks ago, if it had floated over the wall a few feet earlier.

Maybe it might have some type of shear plates in the design but that base looks solid if you look at the one on the right side. How many more racers have to be killed before this is changed.
Posted By: 8secDart

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/18/10 11:52 PM

Man you guys have some nice tracks.Come on down here to Caroline and go to ShadySide.It will make yours look like Z-Maz,LOL
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 12:13 AM

Quote:

Man you guys have some nice tracks.Come on down here to Caroline and go to ShadySide.It will make yours look like Z-Maz,LOL

Lenny, have you ever been to the Dunn Benson Dragstrip? I was there about 10 years ago. I couldn't stop laughing when they said it only cost $5 for the test and tune night. Place was packed. I sat on the gaurd rail next to the water box, and watched the racing. One of the best times Ive had watching time trials. Might have seen a few Franklins exchange hands after a race or two...

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 12:55 AM

If you've been there you know how all my tracks are,LOL.I think it is some of the best racing around.I have 8 or so 1/8 mile outlaw tracks within a hour of me.

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 01:08 AM

Quote:

Carolina, home of the supertracks.

I loved this shutdown and return road

Looking back the otherway. Just after the finishline, this is reproduced on the track. They have to have a guy on a 4-wheeler parked at the end of the track in case of a crash to notify the tower. The tower personel can not see in that area. Lots of fun at night.

Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 01:09 AM

Good welding on the cage, anyone catch the name of the fabricator? I have seen them fall apart with a lot less.

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 01:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Looking back the otherway. Just after the finishline, this is reproduced on the track. They have to have a guy on a 4-wheeler parked at the end of the track in case of a crash to notify the tower. The tower personel can not see in that area. Lots of fun at night.

Well I guess they are copying the truck run offs in the mountains..lol.man thats just crazy...would be a world of fun if you were up for it, tho..lol

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 01:25 AM

GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry to high jack.
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 01:26 AM

Quote:

Good welding on the cage, anyone catch the name of the fabricator? I have seen them fall apart with a lot less.

I thought the same thing....

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 01:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I thought the same thing....

That welder passed his certification test with flying colors. With some of the crap I have see on cars that driver would be dead.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 02:08 AM

Quote:

Yella Belly is a Out Law Track outside of Dallas. They ask you at the gate if you have a knife, if you do they encourage you to go home and get your gun.

Saw a post on Yellowbullet a while back where a guy with a really nice Mustang got a bullet hole through the driver's door at "The Belly". (In the waterbox)

Some guys off the Busa board race bikes there. They also say guns are a good addition.

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 03:39 PM

They say around these parts that shootings, etc do indeed happen but, I have never heard about it on the news ?

I went during a daylight activity and stayed long enough to look around .

The people that ran the place were nice enough .

I'm sure you do or say the wrong thing and you could easy end up in trouble, I hear Kennedale on Friday night has a tough crowd now too

Denton is close, thats where I go
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 03:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What is the difference between letting a tree grow or planting steel posts. Can you imagine what would have happened, to this Mustang a couple of weeks ago, if it had floated over the wall a few feet earlier.

Maybe it might have some type of shear plates in the design but that base looks solid if you look at the one on the right side. How many more racers have to be killed before this is changed.

Orlando?
Posted By: hemiparts

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 04:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Lenny, have you ever been to the Dunn Benson Dragstrip? I was there about 10 years ago. I couldn't stop laughing when they said it only cost $5 for the test and tune night. Place was packed. I sat on the gaurd rail next to the water box, and watched the racing. One of the best times Ive had watching time trials. Might have seen a few Franklins exchange hands after a race or two...

Dunn-Benson has changed a ton over the last 2 years. Now if you want to see wild and crazy I agree with Lenny make a trip to Shadyside if your further east in NC try Harrells dragstrip down towards Wilmington or Brewers Dragstrip outside of Wilson. Either place be ready for anything.
Posted By: 66coronet

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 04:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Good ole Ware Shoals. The first time you go flying through the lights, down that hill and up and around that corner in the shutdown at night, you draw up just a bit.
Posted By: j.mcconnell

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 06:38 PM

yikes.

I've been to Dunn Benson and stood on the guard rail by the water box while 5 sec grudge car smoked 'em. Stood 20ft behind the same cars while the launched and the 20ft was because there were 50ppl in front of me.

At ShadySide a few years back you could sit on the back of a truck and watch from 10ft from the guard rail

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 06:58 PM

The crashing Mustang was at SGMP. With the small tires in back and the front end up, the air got under it and made it fly. It didn't help when he ran a 1/4 mile at a 1/8th mile race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Ziu9Xa-Mc
Posted By: Harley

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 07:40 PM

Yello Belly looks like a prison yard. Did the film the longest yard there?

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 09:31 PM

Quote:

They say around these parts that shootings, etc do indeed happen but, I have never heard about it on the news ?

I went during a daylight activity and stayed long enough to look around .

The people that ran the place were nice enough .

I'm sure you do or say the wrong thing and you could easy end up in trouble, I hear Kennedale on Friday night has a tough crowd now too

Denton is close, thats where I go

Well, Texans your not alone..I was talking to a buddy who street races a alot..the infamous Flint mid'night drags. I've raced there, too, but not for years..anyway, he said eversince some shootings there he has not gone back..and never will. And this is in downtown flint..as written up in Car Craft a few years ago.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/19/10 11:17 PM

hope the driver is ok??

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/20/10 12:04 AM

Quote:

hope the driver is ok??

couple busted ribs and some chipped teeth

and, although I can NOT confirm, he was

car ran 5.50's
Posted By: LSP

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/20/10 12:35 AM

First track I was ever down - as an infant sitting in the front seat between mom and dad. Dad says the "christmas tree" was an old stop light back in the 60's LOL.
Posted By: mike s

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/20/10 01:32 AM

Anyone ever venture to Manhattan Dragway in Kansas? You could almost touch the cars over the fence as they raced. Made Lapeer look like Indy.
Posted By: gtx69

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/20/10 02:06 AM

B1fish540 since i use to race in flint.I have never heard of any racing in the downtown area what street would that have been.I had been living in the flint area since i was 12 years old and hanging around the street racing since 1970.I now live in the detroit area sinc 1998.Again what street was this on in the downtown area?
Posted By: Dos Snails

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/20/10 04:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Orlando?

No that's not Orlando....

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/20/10 05:26 PM

Quote:

B1fish540 since i use to race in flint.I have never heard of any racing in the downtown area what street would that have been.I had been living in the flint area since i was 12 years old and hanging around the street racing since 1970.I now live in the detroit area sinc 1998.Again what street was this on in the downtown area?

Well, befor i went there for the first time(around 2002)i didnt know about it either. The location has changed a couple times I think. Used to be on Lieth I guess but has been on James P. Cole for as long as I've known. After 475 was put in the really fast cars use that strech of lonely hi way to race. But the "fun" spot is still Jp Cole Avenue. Its just a block or two off Dort Highway. They have a guy that starts you..like on Pinks..The air was full of tire smoke from the burnouts rising all the way to the street lights in a huge cloud. The southbound lane of the Avenue is the drag strip...its just wide enuff for two cars...and the north bound lane is the "return" lane. In between were at least 100 fans, spectators and partiers. At the end of the "track" are two cross streets..like a short and long turnaround..I used the long one! I guess one of the shoemacher family was killed there back in the day...but thats the only death or crash i've ever heard about..amazing!
Posted By: gtx69

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/20/10 09:29 PM

I was hang out racing when they first started it.People was meeting at sagniaw st and flint park at hamdany store and racing in front of bluebell beach. This was in the late 60's and 70's.When they openned up a part of 475 in mt.morris by k-mart.We started racing there also. Racing off dort hi-way by the water tower near davison rd.The shut down area led into a curve had to have good brakes.Started meeting at dawn doughnuts saginaw st. and coldwater rd.Police started coming around moved across the street to bigger lot.People use to also meet on dort hiway at the mall used to be called the small mall don't know what they call it now use to have a sears store in it near bakers college.When they moved to where they are now things got out of hand people carrying guns not cleanning up paper trash everywhere.I still go to flint.I am restoring the car i used to race.I hope to be done with it in a couple of years since i retired sept 1st.
Posted By: mshred

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/20/10 11:54 PM

holy that is serious damage! Yella belly is definatly a tough place too boot

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/21/10 12:05 AM

Cool gtx, you are an ol pro at it then! I didnt get a muscle car again til '98(25 years since my Barracuda)...so you were doing it when I was still driving around in my Dodge Van with a murel on the side..lol(hippie)In 2000 I fixed up my 72 Challenger w/ aluminum heads, dominator etc and did fairly well against all the Chevys down there. Then it started getting like you said...too wild and crazy.. My other Chevy buddy said he used to race a little on Dort back in the 70s...so that sounded familiar when you mentioned it. I'm retired too. Thanks for sharing the stories. Good luck with your re-sto post up some pix when you can.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/21/10 04:13 AM

The "dog leg" shutdown at Oahe is actually banked pretty good. I've made a few high 9 passes there and you really don't even realie it's there. Guys have run mid 6's on it at over 200 and all was well. It does look a bit ominous looking at it when you're sitting at the line for the first time.

....and looking at your "belly" picts Big I'm thinking the flat wide county roads west of Minot ND (where my racing started)were a safer place to race!

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/21/10 04:27 AM

I need to go to Cedar Creek and take some pics

Temple academy is another outlaw track that has to be seen to believed

They re-routed to road way back when and the hilljacks race on the old road

Its nuts too
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/21/10 04:32 AM

Looks like the guardrail's what, less than 50 ft from the river?

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/21/10 04:35 AM

Quote:

Looks like the guardrail's what, less than 50 ft from the river?

At Temple academy ?

Burnout box is like 15 feet from the river bank

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/21/10 04:38 AM

I meant at the stripe lol. How long is the shutdown?

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/21/10 04:41 AM

Quote:

I meant at the stripe lol. How long is the shutdown?

shut down ? whats that ?

Not much, I don't know how those goofs do it

Ohhhhhh they wreck some stuff there, trust me

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/21/10 04:47 AM

Ha! Yea the sat images of it look pretty hairy. Makes 75-80 BEFORE it closed look like IRP (i refuse to call it o'rielly raceway park). Now that its been re-opened and repaved its actually a really nice place to race.

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/21/10 04:52 AM

This place is dangerous even for those not racing

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/21/10 05:42 AM

as in, wear a flak jacket or watch for flying cars?

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/21/10 06:22 AM

Quote:

as in, wear a flak jacket or watch for flying cars?

Thugs and guns
Posted By: ksj

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 11/21/10 06:59 AM

Quote:

Anyone ever venture to Manhattan Dragway in Kansas? You could almost touch the cars over the fence as they raced. Made Lapeer look like Indy.

Still can. As azz backwood as it is I love that place.Dont know of any other track with self watering burnout boxes. Kampy for the WIN.

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 12/29/10 12:13 AM

Before video of the car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SybnjJqsFWw&feature=related

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 12/29/10 12:15 AM

69 Camaro at Dallas Raceway

slams the wall HARD !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o7uPNyUpdo&feature=related
Posted By: CRE2004

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 12/29/10 02:45 AM

Quote:

Before video of the car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SybnjJqsFWw&feature=related

I can't believe the IDIOT standing by the 60ft clocks.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 12/29/10 03:06 AM

Quote:

slams the wall HARD !

Take a look at the steering wheel at 1:09 WOW!
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 12/29/10 03:57 AM

B1fish and gtx69, i used to run st.johns(james p cole) alot back in the mid 80's when i ran a red monza spider with a small block and 4 speed. don't go down there much anymore. they now race over on selby too, now thats a part of the hood i stay away from.
Posted By: 727builder

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 12/29/10 04:26 AM

Quote:

Why on earth would anyone want to race at a craphole track like that...

I'm with you. Bet while your up making a pass your tow truck is getting stripped. lol
Posted By: CRE2004

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 12/29/10 02:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

slams the wall HARD !

The reverse impression of that is on his chest!!! You would think if his harness straps were tight he'd be no where near that wheel.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Yello Belly claims another victim - 12/29/10 04:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

slams the wall HARD !

The reverse impression of that is on his chest!!! You would think if his harness straps were tight he'd be no where near that wheel.

That is from having the kung fu grip on the wheel on impact.
It may have never gotten close to his chest.
Don't ask me how I know.
© 2024 Moparts Forums