Moparts

Cometic Head Gaskets

Posted By: Evil67

Cometic Head Gaskets - 11/09/10 03:05 AM

I am going to use Cometic head gaskets on my 440. I have heard you should put sealer on them but the Cometic website says NOT to.

What do all of you do?
Posted By: tex013

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - 11/09/10 03:15 AM

i run them without sealer.BUT i open them up at the ends and put a light smear there just to save any weepage at the ends,with the oil draining and near the intake
Tex
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - 11/09/10 03:21 AM

I didnt use any sealer on my motor....no weeping and seal great under 35lbs of boost
Posted By: a408swinger

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - 11/09/10 04:26 AM

I spray mine with a light coat of ultra copper spray on my smallblock. Unless you have a smooth enough deck and head surface you will get some coolant seepage. The ultra copper spray will stop that.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - 11/09/10 06:22 AM

I spray mine with ultra copper spray, did it on the BB and the SB...quite heavily, both sides of the gaskets.

Attached picture 6292562-75459106.Y3cDcVzG.SportsmanFriday5.jpg
Posted By: rebel

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - 11/09/10 09:49 AM

i use a light spray with copper coat on new gaskets & when i'm re-using i get a little heavier with the coatings & do each individual layer.
Posted By: headhunter

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - 11/09/10 12:26 PM

i would spray both sides with copper coat spray to be on the safe side let me know when you get her running agian
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - 11/09/10 01:42 PM

I spray mine w/ coppercoat on both sides and in b/t the layers. Same gaskets for the past 4 years w/ no leaks. Re-used them when I freshened it up 2 years ago too.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - 11/09/10 01:45 PM

Quote:

I spray mine w/ coppercoat on both sides and in b/t the layers. Same gaskets for the past 4 years w/ no leaks. Re-used them when I freshened it up 2 years ago too.

Yes,,,and definitly 'between' the layers!
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - 11/09/10 04:40 PM

When i've used these i drilled the rivets out & sprayed each layer with coppercoat , jusy be sure to get the orientation right when assembling to heads.
Posted By: torkrules

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - 11/09/10 06:45 PM

Quote:

I am going to use Cometic head gaskets on my 440. I have heard you should put sealer on them but the Cometic website says NOT to.

What do all of you do?

I sprayed mine but I used Hylomar blue. Took them apart and sprayed each layer. I had to take one head off and all I did was wipe them down with thinner, re-sprayed them and used them again. Zero leaks.
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - 11/09/10 07:48 PM

Used them with no sealer on my first 572 with Indy heads and had lots of moisture in the oil all that year.

Used the same gaskets this year on the same block but with B1 heads. This time they were copper coated and had NO leaks even though the gaskets were used.
© 2024 Moparts Forums