Moparts

Input on launch, video attached

Posted By: Big_Fish

Input on launch, video attached - 11/04/10 04:33 AM

I finally got out again and hit Cecil for the N/A shootout. Someone video taped one of my launches so I can finally see how the car is reacting. I have new rear shocks and they seemed to be at the best setting. Front shocks are older and I could use a better converter. Tires don't seem to spin but I can't get the front end up and my 60's are too high. Best 60ft was 1.382. Any input for getting a better hook? I went to a 33" tire from 32" and kept 4:56 gears. I don't think I have any tire spin but just can't get it up on the tire. Will a new converter tailered to this engine and some new front coil overs get the front to lift or do I need to also change the rear gears? Hope this youtube video loads ok.
Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0PmN1kCT8s
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/04/10 04:44 AM

i think it looks good,ask 1badfish about wheelies,he's on his 3rd oil pan in one yr..lol sorry pablo
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/04/10 09:34 AM

couldn't really see the tires but it looked good from what I seen my car launches about the same.
Posted By: StripeHOG

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/04/10 11:20 AM

did you leave at an idle????
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/04/10 12:10 PM

Your front end is not reacting much at all?? looks like it only has about 1 to 1 1/2" of suspension travel!

Are the shocks super tight against separation?

Does not look like it spins!

But I'm no expert.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/04/10 06:36 PM

Difficult to see on the vid but it doesn't look like it's hitting the rear tyre hard, as has been said check the front suspension for movement didn't see much weight transfer at all. Looked like it was spinning to me, did it leave some stripes and caterpiller marks?
Need more info. Whats the set up ie 4 link, ladders, stock front? whats the 1/4 time and MPH?
Nice looking 'Cuda BTW, sits real nice
Posted By: mafo

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/04/10 09:16 PM

sounds like converter problem to me, couldn t really hear much rpm drop when shifting to third
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/04/10 09:31 PM

A car running 1.3x 69ft times should really be pitch rolling. The car acts like it has no front suspension at all. It looks like it drive out of the launch on rails.
Front shocks would be the first thing to change.

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/04/10 09:33 PM

Quote:

A car running 1.3x 69ft times should really be pitch rolling. The car acts like it has no front suspension at all. It looks like it drive out of the launch on rails.

not really if it doesn't have enough power to work the suspension. mine does the same exact thing. I have talked to Monte about this this and he agrees..

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/04/10 09:41 PM

heres a video of mine, 4 link car with strange double adjustble shocks on the rear just loose shocks on the front with about 5" of travel.

http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss238/Quicktree09/?action=view&current=SDC11213.flv
Posted By: ROSSIO

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/04/10 09:47 PM

convertor is a little "tight"--loosen it up-----
and get some more travel out of the frt shocks.
like to see more "lift" in the front end.

just an personal guess---without being right there to see the car up close and get some E.T. info
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/05/10 01:43 AM

Quote:

sounds like converter problem to me, couldn t really hear much rpm drop when shifting to third

My thoughts too. Sounds like it has a governor on the motor....??? Sounded alittle funny in the water box...no RPM ...???

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/05/10 03:41 AM

I appreciate all the input Here's some more info... 4link, new strange rear double adjustable shocks, older front Alden adjustable, 5500 TCI converter from original motor. Car weighs 2880 with driver. Hoosier QTP 33x22.50 DOT slicks. I took measurements, jacked up the front end and measured again and I have 2 1/4in of total travel, magnumforce tubular front end. Times on that run were, 60ft=1.383, 330=4.10, 1/8th=6.424 at 105.92, 1000ft=8.421 1/4=10.105 at 134.11. Car just doesn't feel like it will transfer the weight off the front end and get out of the hole quick enough. New front shocks and a nice custom converter for this combo were put on the back burner but I'm wondering how much difference those changes will make since I'm ready to pull the trigger and crack open the wallet. Any miracles like several tenths out of this possible?

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/05/10 03:43 AM

Quote:

Yes, I was leaving off idle didn't even get it up on the converter when I left. I have a trans brake but the car seems to like to leave better on foot brake.

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/05/10 03:52 AM

Quote:

Exactly how it feels. It takes off but doesn't pitch roll like I would expect. The Alden shocks are probably the originals from the tubular magnumforce front end, they're that old. They are on the loosest setting. Not much space for the coil overs (about 12-13in) when static so I'm not sure what new coil over options I have to get the best travel without make the car sit high? Any recommendations? Should I stick with Strange like the rears I just put on for up front or is there a better selection specifically for this type of setup?
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/05/10 02:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I was leaving off idle didn't even get it up on the converter when I left. I have a trans brake but the car seems to like to leave better on foot brake.

I'd try and load the converter some..also it didn't sound like it flashed anywhere near 5500. And I did not see any wheel spin either.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/05/10 04:44 PM

i agree on the power application and converter..
if you listen to the motor..it doesnt come up on top of the cam until 60ft..
you can hear the engine come to life about 50/60ft out..
you need to be able to leave closer to that power point..
a well sourced converter should do that..
Higher initial rpm (in the power range)launch with a different converter should help..

cheapst
Posted By: Tig

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/05/10 06:11 PM

Quote:

I appreciate all the input Here's some more info... 4link, new strange rear double adjustable shocks, older front Alden adjustable, 5500 TCI converter from original motor. Car weighs 2880 with driver. Hoosier QTP 33x22.50 DOT slicks. I took measurements, jacked up the front end and measured again and I have 2 1/4in of total travel, magnumforce tubular front end. Times on that run were, 60ft=1.383, 330=4.10, 1/8th=6.424 at 105.92, 1000ft=8.421 1/4=10.105 at 134.11. Car just doesn't feel like it will transfer the weight off the front end and get out of the hole quick enough. New front shocks and a nice custom converter for this combo were put on the back burner but I'm wondering how much difference those changes will make since I'm ready to pull the trigger and crack open the wallet. Any miracles like several tenths out of this possible?

Picked up over 3 10ths with a custom converter (ATi) Best was 10.37 from a previous best of 10.71. We also added a windage tray at the same time too, what that contributed I don't know.

Tyres looked like they were cupping and or wadding going of the marks they left behind, anyone else notice?

Also did I hear a slight miss through the top?

ET looks a tad slow for the MPH to me but my car is a tank anyway
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/05/10 10:18 PM

Have you double checked the 4-link settings, lots of variables, probably 1200+ positions only a few are correct.
Im not buying the "not enough power" excuse. I see lots of guys at many diff tracks getting up on the rear tires, some pulling some outstanding wheel stands at unbelievable low rpm's, at slower e/t's.
Im betting its i the adjustment and maybe the converter.
Posted By: sshemi

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/06/10 07:38 PM

if it aint spinning why would you wanna adjust the suspension???
Replace converter and then start all over again.

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/06/10 08:11 PM

Quote:

if it aint spinning why would you wanna adjust the suspension???
Replace converter and then start all over again.

When I got the new shocks I had taken it to a suspension shop to get a weight & balance and find the CG. They tweaked it to get it where it is now. I changed the shock settings a little to what your are seeing.
Next question which is why I haven't pulled the trigger... What company for a great converter? Can I get some input for top 3? COAN, Dynamic, etc.
Posted By: DaKuda

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/06/10 08:57 PM

Turbo Action ONLY for me...

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/06/10 09:30 PM

dont have much experience with this but i think it would be hard for any one of them to get it 100% right the first time.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/06/10 10:22 PM

Quote:

Me Too!!!
Posted By: racerx

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/07/10 03:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Me Too!!!

X3
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/07/10 04:07 PM

I am sending my converter to Kenny Ford at PTC for a rework...They have always treated me well and have great customer service!!

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/07/10 04:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Me Too!!!

X3

x4
Posted By: hemicop

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/07/10 04:34 PM

If IT WERE ME---since you already have a 5500 stall converter (good, I hope) I'd first make sure I was leaving while up against the converter. I had a similiar equipped but MUCH heavier car & would 60ft in the 1.30-1.33 range. Don't know what tire pressure you're running, but we almost always ran around 9psi. one way or another I'd find some way to loosen up that front end & for that matter, later on, if you have no luck, perhaps even lighter rear springs so as to the allow the back end end to squat---it looks like your back-half isn't working either. For me, if the car "pitches", your suspension isn't working evenly which could cause or is a sign of another problem---just MY , but hey!----you asked...
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/07/10 04:35 PM

Im surprised nobody mentioned rear gear. Isnt a 4.56 with 33" tires to high? I would think thats why mph is on the high side, but 60' is slower. Dont most cars with big tires run a taller gear?

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/07/10 08:29 PM

Why would you want more susp travel if it aint spinning??
All other movement eccept forward will slow the 60 down.
Besides i dont know if your 60 is bad at all?
Besides pulling a little to the right, that chassie looks sorted out to me.

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/07/10 08:36 PM

Quote:

Im surprised nobody mentioned rear gear. Isnt a 4.56 with 33" tires to high? I would think thats why mph is on the high side, but 60' is slower. Dont most cars with big tires run a taller gear?

I was thinking of putting 4.88's when I went from 32 to 33" tires. I run 10.5 lbs of air pressure in the tires. I think this winter I'll start with a new converter, then front coil overs to get more travel in the front end and then see what happens at the track before I change anything else.

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/07/10 08:41 PM

I run 513s with a 32: tire

Re: Input on launch, video attached - 11/07/10 08:49 PM

you should be turning about 7000 rpms at the line now right? Thats calculated with 8% slipp in verter.
Doesnt seem very wrong for me.
Going to 4.88 wont change much. your mph will probably go up a little more.
© 2024 Moparts Forums