Moparts

Need Big Block head selection help.

Posted By: DaKuda

Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/03/10 09:11 PM

I have run smallblocks for years but the new car I bought is setup for a BB. Not to mention I have lots of BB parts. What head do you guys suggest for a 400/451 bracket engine? Will use a solid roller with around 11:1 compression. Car is a 73 Cuda all steel so its heavy with a 4.56 gear. Around 5000 stall. Tell what you like and why please.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/03/10 09:12 PM

Stay simple, Edlebrock heads and some flat top pistons.

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/03/10 09:32 PM

I want to be in the 6.70 range 1/8th mile if that helps.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/03/10 10:41 PM

Quote:

Stay simple, Edlebrock heads and some flat top pistons.

the eddie heads are a bolt on, and there are some very fast cars using them. just about every other head has some kind of extenuating issue requiring special parts, and so on. the eddies are a slam dunk. i've used many sets on engines from mild street, to race only, and they've always performed well.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/03/10 11:34 PM

I covered this topic in my book on big block Mopars. Go to www.amazon.com and search for "big block Mopar". You'll find a few books on the subject. Buy them all. It will save you money in the long run.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 12:18 AM

How fast do you want to go?
your car without driver is 3600lbs

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 12:36 AM

Let me clarify....car is all steel BUT is backhalfed. Aluminum from passenger seat back. Rest is steel. All glass in windows. I want to run 6.70 in the 1/8th. What about the Indy S/R head, Edelbrock Victor, and others?
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 01:05 AM

Indy EZ's And thats all I have to say about that
Seriously though they flow great and all of your stock dimension parts bolt on They are one of the few parts that only needed minor work to bolt on and go.
Gus

Attached picture 6283775-burnoutpicturegus.JPG

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 01:11 AM

Doesnt the Indy SR bolt on and except all stock parts too?
Posted By: AAR-B4

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 01:20 AM

SR's will present a header problem even with the low block.
Stealth heads will get you 6.70s. I'm doing it with a 440 10to1 .590 cam solid. 2800# Cuda

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 01:23 AM

I dont have headers yet. Does anyone make a set for a lowdeck in an Ebody for SR heads?
Posted By: racerx

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 01:25 AM

TTi

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 01:26 AM

So what do you guys think in comparison between the stock type heads?? Edelbrock, Indy Sr, Indy EZ and others. Which would you go with?
Posted By: rebel

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 05:55 AM

my first 400/451 was Indy sr headed & i could fit Hooker Comp headers without too much trouble. with a Hughes flat tappet cam at 256/263, home port job,M1 with 825 cfm carb, 3800 stall on 4.3 rear gears my street 'cuda at 3750lbs ran 10.7@127mph on the 1/4. thats close to what you are looking for isn't it?
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 06:01 AM

The SR is a good head. I ran them on my pump gas 451 that i ran in my 65 Belvedere. Car weighed 3770 and went 10.50's on pump gas with SR's. IMO they are one of the better choices out there. Can flow really good numbers with a "stock" sized port window, read non Max Wedge. They are worth a look for sure.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 06:08 AM

Any of the good aluminum standard port heads will work for you.
Don't consider the large port heads unless you want to really spin the motor high.

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 12:10 PM

Thanks guys. I think I will read up on the SR. Leaning that way.

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 12:13 PM

Who would you buy a set of SR's from on here?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 12:27 PM

Talk to Dwayne Porter at Porter Racing Heads. He can hook you up w/ whatever heads you need...802-951-1955
Personally I'd run either the Indy SR or the Indy EZ. The Edelbrock heads will do what you want, but you have much more room to grow in the future w/ either of the Indy heads. Not much more expensive either.

An SR or -1 head on a low deck block will use a standard 440 header. You run into issues w/ the SR and -1 heads (both have raised exhaust ports) on the RB blocks. You'd need either the TTI or Hedman headers for that specific combo.

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 12:42 PM

Quote:

Talk to Dwayne Porter at Porter Racing Heads. He can hook you up w/ whatever heads you need...802-951-1955
Personally I'd run either the Indy SR or the Indy EZ. The Edelbrock heads will do what you want, but you have much more room to grow in the future w/ either of the Indy heads. Not much more expensive either.

An SR or -1 head on a low deck block will use a standard 440 header. You run into issues w/ the SR and -1 heads (both have raised exhaist ports) on the RB blocks. You'd need either the TTI or Hedman headers for that specific combo.

I thought you ran into trouble with the lowdecks? If what you are saying is correct then I should have no problem. Thanks.
Posted By: moeflo

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 12:45 PM

Best tip is, if you haven't, get AndyF's book. It will answer this question and explain the reasoning behind it. Plus, there's a bunch more answers to clarify those little snags we all run into in a build.
Posted By: Boosted

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 01:16 PM

I am running MP Stage 6 heads on my 512 in my Challenger.. Love them...I also have Hooker Super Comp headers on it with not problems.

I just cannot justify the money for the Indy stuff when my car is 95% street car....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 01:38 PM

Todd Marsh 336 752 2879 will ship you a set of Indys set up right for less than anybody and he has TTI headers, Harland sharp etc call him or spend more --tell him I sent ya
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 02:19 PM

I say go for the Indy 440-1 heads at the start. If you don't this time next year you will be wishing you had.

Attached picture 6284572-pc703.jpg.jpg
Posted By: 68valiant68

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 02:35 PM

Give Bob George a call, he can hook you up
Posted By: Twin Turbo Mower

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 04:42 PM

The standard port SR's are the best choice for starting out. Uses all the stock parts just need longer pushrods. Just get a low deck with sr's and you can use any 440 header designed for that car. The low deck with sr's or -1's heads puts the exhaust port in the same location as a 440 with eldebrock or stealth heads.
Posted By: earthmover

Re: Need Big Block head selection help. - 11/04/10 04:45 PM

i am going thought the same thing now going from small block to big i got andys book and it does answer alot of ??? youll have and youll learn way more about what you want and about what it will take to do it..also he has a combos in the book that make good power..great book andy
© 2024 Moparts Forums