Moparts

Big rods or not?

Posted By: hemibill

Big rods or not? - 11/01/10 08:48 PM

Hello everyone,

I stumbled into a set of 440+6 connecting rods (the wider, heavier ones) and I am wondering if the extra weight is worth the extra strength? I am planning to build a 440 with a 6-71 blower and I'm hoping to have lots of fun both on & off the strip.

Thanks in advance,
HemiBill
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Big rods or not? - 11/02/10 05:00 AM

IMO, no. Aftermarket rods are pretty light and very strong nowadays.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Big rods or not? - 11/02/10 08:50 AM

They say the HD rods have the extra weight but in the wrong places. I would sooner go aftermarket myself.
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Big rods or not? - 11/02/10 09:24 AM

you are going to want to go faster than the stock rods can handle.making 700 or 800 hpis not hard to do and you will want to use it.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Big rods or not? - 11/05/10 08:39 PM

six pack rods are unnecessarily heavy, and still only have 3/8 bolts. i'd rather use ly's. aftermarket rods are everywhere, and cheap.and strong. and as far as i know, they've all got 7/16 cap screws. much better!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Big rods or not? - 11/06/10 11:27 PM

Quote:

Hello everyone,

I stumbled into a set of 440+6 connecting rods (the wider, heavier ones) and I am wondering if the extra weight is worth the extra strength? I am planning to build a 440 with a 6-71 blower and I'm hoping to have lots of fun both on & off the strip.

Thanks in advance,
HemiBill

the rods are not any stronger than an LY rod because all the weight was added and they kept the small 3/8 bolts . don't waste your money on them especially in a blown motor.
© 2024 Moparts Forums