Moparts

Cal-tracs and SS springs

Posted By: The Sphinx

Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/01/10 05:37 PM

Has anyone ever tried it?
I hear not to, but never got a reason why not.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/01/10 06:30 PM

Spend some time hacking around w/ the Search feature going back a few years and I'm sure you'll find multiple threads on exactly this topic.
Posted By: sc4579

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/01/10 10:43 PM

Been using them for 5 years now with SS springs on my Dart Sport. Very consistant 60 foots, 1.40-1.42. Just using Monroe shocks on the rear, the bars in the lower hole. I set the preload on the bars with my weight in the car and have had no problems. Car weighs 3290 with me in it, and a small block pump gas motor, with 904 transmission and 4.88 gears.

Attached picture 6279957-Dart2008IHRABracketFinals.jpg
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/04/10 01:57 AM

if this works why does calvert tell you not to do it? they say to use a light duty spring. If you truely can do this its helps guys out like me that want to run the mono leafs but cant buy every thing at once. Can anyone else add to this please I have looked in the archives with very little sucess. Monte if you read this maybe you can shed some light on us.

1Qwkdart
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/04/10 03:13 AM

I tried it and my car would do weird stuff like jump and unload the tires then it would go perfect next pass Guy I got the bars from told me to get the monoleafs and then hooked hard and straight every time after that
Gus

Attached picture 6284067-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: hemiparts

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/04/10 01:47 PM

Posted By: Islandcuda

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/04/10 02:03 PM

I used them for a few years, then bought the monoleaf, to be truthfull there was an improvement over the car bouncing at launch, with ss springs, bounced every time, but did it the same every time and was consistent. With the mono,s car settld down, but the odd time, would get the bounce, but not as severe. I can only assume track conditions dictated a lot, car was still consistent, just the odd time ,and of course calvert tells ya not to use them, they are the seller taking your money, Tim
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/04/10 02:14 PM

Quote:

I used them for a few years, then bought the monoleaf, to be truthfull there was an improvement over the car bouncing at launch, with ss springs, bounced every time, but did it the same every time and was consistent. With the mono,s car settld down, but the odd time, would get the bounce, but not as severe. I can only assume track conditions dictated a lot, car was still consistent, just the odd time ,and of course calvert tells ya not to use them, they are the seller taking your money, Tim

The reason Calvert wants you to buy his mono spring because with s/s springs and the bars there is not enough shock that can control all that and that is why you are getting your bounce. There is not a shock out there that can control that. With the mono the spring is just holding up the car and the bar is doing all the work. You would get way to much and too fast of body separation and not get the tire to plant and hold with s/s springs and cal tracs.
Posted By: ROSSIO

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/04/10 03:57 PM

i ran SS springs and 3 way adjust shocks for 10 years--and they worked very well--------
then i spent the $$$ on the complete caltrac setup with the 9000 ranchos and WOW--i recommend this set up if you are running 10's or faster (in my opinion)
i've been running NOS for 15yrs and now N.A. and going 8.90s--doing 1.29 60ft and i love the adjustability i have at the tracks with this set up

ross
Posted By: ajcasini

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/04/10 04:33 PM

I ave used cal-tracs with the SS Springs for about 5 years now. They worked great for aobut the first 3 years now I am getting too much body separation. I have not experienced the bounce that was mentioned earlier. Even with the extra body life car was deadly. My main issue is the car would lift more than go forward on the line and this hurt RT. I am ordering the mono-leafs for my car this winter.

My car has gone as fast as 10.60 and as slow as 11.30 during these 5 years.
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/04/10 04:51 PM

Quote:

Has anyone ever tried it?
I hear not to, but never got a reason why not.

Anyone tried it - YES
So, can you use Cal-Tracs with ss springs - YES
Is it optimal - NO

From my understanding on how the Cal-Trac bars work, part of the "leverage" the Cal-Tracs use to plant the rear tire is provided by the wrap-up of the front spring segment. The SS springs were designed with a stiff front segment to reduce spring wrap-up. Therefore they don't provide as much force on the Cal-Trac pivot bar, resulting in less downforce at the axle. Still more downforce than without the bars, but not as much as with a "softer" front spring segment.

Also with the Cal-Trac system, according to John Calvert, you want 5-inches of front suspension travel from resting static, to just before the wheel come off the ground. This movement is needed to get additional rotational weight to the back tires, again resulting in more downforce to the rear tires.

A lack of adequate front suspension travel can result in "unloading" of the tires a few feet off the line. Some of the unloading can be controlled with shock settings, but proper front suspension travel should cure most of an unloading issue.

Scott
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/04/10 06:28 PM

trying not to hijack here (and failing?). could one remove some leaves from the ss springs and get more satisfactory results?
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/04/10 07:16 PM

as long as the springs are symetrical left to right they will work better.
biased rate side to side does not help with launch.
As stated earlier all the spring does is hold the car up.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/04/10 08:26 PM

any one run the split mono leaf?

how much do the 2 halfs overlap?

which leaf is on top..front or rear segment?

on my 85 shortbed truck,I have the axle on top of the rear springs with a shackle flip

and thought of makeing my own set of split mono leafs for the caltracs sytsem from 2 sets of main leafs from truck spring packs

or would that be to hickabilly

Posted By: theclutcher

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/04/10 10:58 PM

had my local spring co make 1 pc 1/2" monos 10 years ago, still fine.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/05/10 07:09 AM

Very , very interesting thread.

subscribing .
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 11/06/10 12:36 AM

I know people that have used them with SS springs with no issues. I think it depends on how much power you're making.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 12/17/11 08:47 AM

I need to bring this topic back.
I tried the Caltracs with my SS springs. Many times.

I went thru EVERY possible adjustment over several races.

I could not make them work--the car would bounce and "porpoise" on launch.

So , dont waste your time. I already did that for ya.
Buy their mono spring .
Posted By: 6PACMAC

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 12/17/11 01:24 PM

How are Cal-tracs with stock, non SS springs? Those should let bars work better than the SS's , right?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 12/17/11 02:18 PM

The reason Calvert wants you to buy his mono spring because with s/s springs and the bars there is not enough shock that can control all that and that is why you are getting your bounce. There is not a shock out there that can control that. With the mono the spring is just holding up the car and the bar is doing all the work. You would get way to much and too fast of body separation and not get the tire to plant and hold with s/s springs and cal tracs.

the Rancho is just barely enough shock
for a standard spring and the Caltracs... so with
the SS spring you get way to much separation to quick...
also makes a difference on how much torque your throwing
at the rearend
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 12/17/11 04:54 PM

Quote:

the Rancho is just barely enough shock
for a standard spring and the Caltracs... so with
the SS spring you get way to much separation to quick...
also makes a difference on how much torque your throwing
at the rearend

And to help piece it together: Calvert monos are 200 and 225 lbs spring rate and my own SS springs are 160 on the right spring and (I think?) 125 on the left.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 12/17/11 06:01 PM

"And to help piece it together: Calvert monos are 200 and 225 lbs spring rate and my own SS springs are 160 on the right spring and (I think?) 125 on the left."

Are you speaking of the front vs. rear sections of the mono's? As far as left to right, I believe they are the exact same spring on both sides. When I installed mine, I inspected them very carefully for a L or R, or a different weight rating, they were both identical, with the exact same part #. Any stagger in this system is designed to be handled by the bars.
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 12/17/11 09:14 PM

No, just the two different rates they offer. I wonder how it would work w/a 225 on right and 200 on left.
Posted By: 82ramIndy493

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 12/17/11 10:47 PM

Quote:

How are Cal-tracs with stock, non SS springs? Those should let bars work better than the SS's , right?

I have a friend at the track who has raced for at least 30 years and has driven many different cars there and Is a killer driver especially on the tree so I can believe and respect his judgement on things. He recently told me that he tried the Cal Tracs on his SB Duster with the SS springs and he had to remove them for similar reasons mentioned on this thread. I am not sure what changes he has made at this time but he said he could not run them together. On the other side of that coin I run the Cal Trac setup with adj shocks from Calvert on my 82 Dodge short bed pickup. I am running a 493 Indy head engine and pull 1.47 sixty foots and my truck launches absolutely great. I am running a late 60's B Body rear on top of the stock 1/2 ton 5 leaf truck spring. The second leaf that sits right up at the top spring eye is the critical leaf. If its not there you will have issues as I did before installing it. The truck originally had 4 leafs. After installing it I had little problem with the rear suspension BUT BOY did ther CalTracs make a difference later. I can't swear to all combinations but on stock springs or Calverts mono leafs they will work great.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Cal-tracs and SS springs - 12/18/11 03:59 AM

We put them on our 67 coronet after switching from stock to super stock , to the complete cal-vert set up, mono/shocks etc.
The car is weight is 37-3850 dep on driver, we didn't pick up any 60, in fact we lost a little, but the car did go straighter,but developed that bounce after the leave, so now we are now working on the front of the car to see what or anything is the issue, we put new 90/10 race shocks that was recommended by cal-vert , ball joints, tie rods , with no help. now we have to wait n see for the track to open to try some new items different setup on camber/ caster torsion bar settings.
But at this time, money spent over the ss springs wasn't worth the effert and the end results, at this time, maybe after much trial/ error sessions, maybe we can get more out of the system,
© 2024 Moparts Forums