Moparts

FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR

Posted By: DonnyBrass

FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 04:14 PM

not much news yet from FAST

but Rick Mahoney just dropped a 11.27 @ 122 in his Factory Stock Ram Air II Firebird

Faster than the Hemi's, L88s, ZL-1s and all other comers
Posted By: 10secGTX

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 04:16 PM

The Firebird is that a FAST car or is it Stock?

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 04:23 PM

Quote:

Factory Stock
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 04:30 PM

Turqoise Firebird is in Factory Stock. Rick also has the white Firebird in FAST.
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 05:14 PM

Quote:

.....Rick Mahoney just dropped a 11.27 @ 122 in his Factory Stock Ram Air II Firebird

Why don't the just go ahead and change the name from "Factory Stock" to "Cheating as much as possible but still pass Factory Stock tech Class"???? ......May as well rename it F.A.S.T. so the car would REALLY be legal.......
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 05:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

.....Rick Mahoney just dropped a 11.27 @ 122 in his Factory Stock Ram Air II Firebird

Why don't the just go ahead and change the name from "Factory Stock" to "Cheating as much as possible but still pass Factory Stock tech Class"???? ......May as well rename it F.A.S.T. so the car would REALLY be legal.......

It'll be interesting to see what happens at Stanton next year with the new engine rule changes, luckily I hadn't made the final decision and was able to change to conform closer to STOCK.

That is hauling the mail though, good to see the shower stalls aren't on top anymore .

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 05:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

F.A.S.C. ??

factory appearing stock cubes ?
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 05:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

F.A.S.C. ??

There you go.......that's more like it.....

It's is pretty cool what they're running though.....
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 05:35 PM

Quote:

not much news yet from FAST

but Rick Mahoney just dropped a 11.27 @ 122 in his Factory Stock Ram Air II Firebird

is that the same Firebird thats been racing stock since the 80's?? seems there was one back in the late 80's that was in the high 11's beating all commers for years...they did a tear down and found the cam smaller than it could be...those ram air II's are fast..

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 05:36 PM

He just backed it up with a 11.25

Dave D ran 10.00 @ 138.50

and Ed Cook and Donny G are having their personal shootout, Ed's running 10.70's in the maxie vs Donny's 10.66 in the Chevelle
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 05:41 PM

Is he claiming stock or certified stock? If it is certified all I can say is .

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 05:44 PM

Quote:

is that the same Firebird thats been racing stock since the 80's?? seems there was one back in the late 80's that was in the high 11's beating all commers for years...they did a tear down and found the cam smaller than it could be...those ram air II's are fast..

this car debued in 2008, I think, it's not that old

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 05:44 PM

Woody I believe the car you are talking about is Jim Mino. He has run the Ram air II for years.
Posted By: 10secGTX

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 05:49 PM

Those are some impressive #'s no matter what Brand the car's are.
Posted By: sogtx

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 05:51 PM

Where is ford at ? 9 ?
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 05:54 PM

Quote:

Woody I believe the car you are talking about is Jim Mino. He has run the Ram air II for years.

I think youre right...that car gave all of em fits..after the tear down and found the cam smaller than stock...he said.."I'll be back with the right cam"...LOL

I believe that car was an X racer that was returned back to stock...they removed a cage that was in it and re-installed all the stock componants...fast car
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

F.A.S.C. ??

There you go.......that's more like it.....

It's is pretty cool what they're running though.....

Does this mean they are gonna make the FAST cars run stock displacement now?

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 06:07 PM

11.25@122 he has really got that thing 60'ing. I would guess his 60's are in the 1.6's which is crazy quick for a Pure Stock car with a 2200 rpm stall converter.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 06:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think youre right...that car gave all of em fits..after the tear down and found the cam smaller than stock...he said.."I'll be back with the right cam"...LOL

I believe that car was an X racer that was returned back to stock...they removed a cage that was in it and re-installed all the stock componants...fast car

I don't know if it is Jim that you're refering to from the 80s but he has been doing this a very long time. A couple of years ago at PRP with poor track prep, I think he was running 12.40s at 113 or so. He seem to be pretty proud of car as compared to others that were probably bending the rules. Them birds have a lot of potential and I could see them in the 11s

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 06:20 PM

Jim Mino was Bob K's in his A12 Bee, arch rival back in the early days of Factory stock racing. I am pretty sure both cars had done service in AHRA's Pure Stock at one point.

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 06:26 PM

Quote:

Where is ford at ? 9 ?

he broke his trans backing out of the trailer

now that is tourque
Posted By: 383man

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 06:33 PM

Thats impressive for sure and I do like the car but there is no way any car that is really stock can turn them #'s. Wow it seems they ran 14's back in the day in road test. No car can turn them #'s legally all stock in my book. Ron
Posted By: ademon

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 06:45 PM

Ya maybe the engine is legal, what about the trans is that mostly stock or is it a 6K rollerized work of art

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 07:33 PM

Quote:

Is he claiming stock or certified stock? If it is certified all I can say is .

certified doesn't mean much to me since the past has been certified to NHRA spec and that is not how these cars were delivered to the dealerships for public consumption .

The next couple years will be interesting at the PSMCDR because some fastcars may get faster and some of the new certified cars will probably be slower.

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 07:50 PM

I probably will never certify my car although I paid an extra 1000.00 for a set of heads that would pass with no porting. The first set I bought were gasket matched, thats pretty expensive gasket matching. As for compression my car has 13.5 to one advertised, don't think I will take advantage of the new rules.

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 07:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Where is ford at ? 9 ?

now that is tourque

Must have been all those light weight parts.
Posted By: moderncylinder

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 08:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where is ford at ? 9 ?

now that is tourque

maybe its cause he had to put the stock air cleaner back on it...

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 08:51 PM

another .02 shaved off for the Firebird

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 09:07 PM

Quote:

I probably will never certify my car although I paid an extra 1000.00 for a set of heads that would pass with no porting. The first set I bought were gasket matched, thats pretty expensive gasket matching. As for compression my car has 13.5 to one advertised, don't think I will take advantage of the new rules.

I just put $1500 into a pair of 906's that are legal, no porting what so ever. Right now I'm undecided on if I will certify, all depends on what the car runs when it's back together, I'm building it to actual 10.0 factory stated compression instead of the new allowance.

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 09:15 PM

The 286 heads I have were $2100.00 and still have to be prepped but they are beautiful. Probably one of the least molested set of 47 year old Maxi heads I have ever seen.

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 10:20 PM

down to 11.18

wow

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 10:29 PM

Donnie see if you can find out what the 60' times are for the Firebird.

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 10:50 PM

I hear the car is really hooking... if I see any numbers I will pass them along
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 11:41 PM

Posted By: sogtx

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 10/31/10 11:49 PM

AIRCLEANER.

Quote:

Quote:

Where is ford at ? 9 ?

now that is tourque

maybe its cause he had to put the stock air cleaner back on it...

How many stock air cleaners CAN you stack in a mustang ?
Posted By: chagjr

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 11/01/10 03:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Factory Stock

Its not anymore. If it shows up as Pure Stock or Factory Stock anywhere it should not be allowed to race as such.

F.A.S.T.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 11/01/10 04:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Factory Stock

Its not anymore. If it shows up as Pure Stock or Factory Stock anywhere it should not be allowed to race as such.

F.A.S.T.

Very Interesting. Please tell us more.
Posted By: greenmcode

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 11/01/10 05:12 AM

Quote:

I hear the car is really hooking... if I see any numbers I will pass them along

Low 170's... The track was real good..

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 11/01/10 06:33 PM

Quote:

and Ed Cook and Donny G are having their personal shootout, Ed's running 10.70's in the maxie vs Donny's 10.66 in the Chevelle

I would have loved to have seen Ed's Maxie and Donny's Chevelle run side by side in the consolation round at 10.63 EACH !

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 11/01/10 07:43 PM

OK quit dangling the carrot and tell us who got the light.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 11/01/10 07:52 PM

Quote:

OK quit dangling the carrot and tell us who got the light.

Danny

I was watching from the big end of the track. Ed out MPHed him 129 to 127 and looked like he was running him down, but he was confused by something he said blinked on the tree and the Chevelle was out on him hard and carried to the finish. Was fun to watch.

MB
Posted By: XXHEMI

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 11/01/10 11:42 PM

Danny

Don got me sorry to say! I hate to make excuses but when we staged the bottom red lights started flashing which I always thought meant you need to back out of the beems?? Just as I went to put it in reverse I saw the Chevelle leave with a .395 RT it would have been tough to catch him but I tried!

Can anyone add any imput on the proper thing to do when the red lights start flashing??
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 11/01/10 11:48 PM

Quote:

Danny

Can anyone add any imput on the proper thing to do when the red lights start flashing??

It means the track is not clear to race. If that is the case it should have been re-run due to a malfuction on the tree....
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 11/01/10 11:58 PM

The problem was the starter waved you guys in while the lights were still flashing.

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 11/02/10 02:24 PM

So what's the deal on this firebird , is it pure stock or a F.A.S.T. car ?
Posted By: SteveA

Re: FAST - Factory Stock race today at MIR - 11/03/10 06:49 PM

Quote:

So what's the deal on this firebird , is it pure stock or a F.A.S.T. car ?

I would have to say somewhere in between.
© 2024 Moparts Forums