Moparts

AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black

Posted By: tntmachine

AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/22/10 10:16 PM

I have a 588 rotating assembly and B1MC top end. Should make 1000+ HP, but I'm needing a block. I would like aluminum, but may settle for iron. Which direction should I go.
Posted By: Tig

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/22/10 10:18 PM

Vote for KB here
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/22/10 11:55 PM

Keith Black
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/22/10 11:57 PM

I have three indy no complaints
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 01:28 AM

KB for me. I make over 1050hp, with a lot less cubes and no issues with it at all. The cam however was a different story
Posted By: Twin Turbo Mower

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 01:46 AM

I am happy with my indy block.

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 02:27 AM

Quote:

KB for me. I make over 1050hp, with a lot less cubes and no issues with it at all. The cam however was a different story

My Indy just made 1180 hp all motor
Posted By: 72sat

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 03:13 AM

you guys with the indy's,how much money did it take to get your engine togather?
Posted By: Bishop

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 03:22 AM

Alum. block go with KB & cast iron Koleno

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 03:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree Fred..

I have an Indy now.. I got it in 01.. One of their earlier low deck blocks.
But I would NOT EVER buy directly from them again. Just real jerks. But, IF I decided to get another Indy block, I would most likely get it from BGR.. Just saying, I would rather give my $$$ to Ken Black because he is a stand up guy. Plus a better product. Indy has a good block.. They are just the worst people on the planet..

Chris..
Posted By: Twin Turbo Mower

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 03:40 AM

Quote:

you guys with the indy's,how much money did it take to get your engine togather?

I bought the block through chenoweth speed and machine. Once it was ready to go I had probably 5k in just the block. Decked,honed ect. As for total cost of the engine I would have to add it up. I bought the low deck version with 440 mains.
Posted By: go green

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 04:01 AM

I have the Indy block and I think it is a peice of crap..
The Kb block is way better but it took 7 months to get . I called them every 2 weeks and they promised me it next week for 3 months .It was friggin brutal.
Getting my heads from Kofell and Steve were the same thing .( both completely brutal service but good parts ).
I cant wait to meet these people face to face and see what they have to say .

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 04:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree Fred..

I have an Indy now.. I got it in 01.. One of their earlier low deck blocks.
But I would not EVER buy directly from them again. Just real jerks. But, IF I decided to get another Indy block, I would most likely get it from BGR.. Just saying, I would rather give my $$$ to Ken Black because he is a stand up guy. Plus a better product. Indy has a good block.. They are just the worst people on the planet..

Chris..

my Indy it's a good block.
I would only buy thru BG Racing becaused BG would make sure that it's correct or he'd buy you a new one if it wasn't what he said it to be.
Lazzeri and th rest of them at Indy are the most rude,ignorant liars I have ever met

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 05:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And the question is at what cubes mine is just a little baby motor

IMO I prefer that the money not go to Indy in any way. Even if I buy through a distributor they still end up with the lions share of the dough. They can all make power, as for which is best really at the power levels we are talking any of them will work. So the question really boils down to how fast do you want it? An Indy can be had readily available, a KB will have to be made specifically for you. Take your choice who will get your money.

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 05:45 AM

Quote:

And the question is at what cubes mine is just a little baby motor

604 INCHES

ATCO Density Altitude: -1546 feet Relative Density: 104.6 %

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 05:48 AM

Geez talk about mineshaft air
Posted By: B1CUDA

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 06:11 AM

I am the original owner of Al's block, and I chose the KB block for several reasons, which I would hope some of you will take into account, after reading this.

On a personal level, my mother used to babysit Ken Black way back in the day, and we have always cherished the Black family, for being good, quality people.

To be honest, I didn't even consider the Indy block. Why? Well, the reason why most will buy an aluminum block, is the fact that you could blow it to bits, and, in most cases, get it fixed. It is no big news that the folks at Indy, are some of biggest morons on the face of the planet. No offense to anyone that sells the Indy stuff from their stores/machine/race shops, but, if one of your customers blew up their Indy block, would you offer to fix it, or would you tell them to send it back to Indy to get it fixed? If you could fix it, how much experience do you have in properly fixing/welding an aluminum block? I would love to be a fly on the wall when the gods at Indy get a call about a damaged block that needs to fixed. You would probably get berated and treated like a fool.

The people at KB do this stuff each and every day. They have been repairing blown up blocks for decades, from Top Fuel to Street Hemi's.

Above and beyond anything that I have said, I sent my business to KB because THEY DESERVED MY BUSINESS! Why? Well, because they are not cocky, and, although they are not perfect, they will not let you down, while giving you a product that will be able to see more horsepower than you will probably need. I had a few minor issues with my block when I ordered it from Ken, but, he made it right, and I couldn't have been happier.

Will the Indy make power and work? Yes, it has been proven. When things go wrong, who will be there to take care of you? I may be way off base with my opinion, and my decision to buy a KB block, but, people also thought that I was on dope for thinking that my little 525" B-1 motor, would make anywhere near 950 HP, with a single carb.

1040+ HP later, I felt real good about my decision.

Bottom line, Good people deserve my business, and I will stand behind them any day of the week, over someone who thinks they are doing YOU a favor by doing business with you.

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 06:15 AM

526 now Oh yeah new cam, lifters, rods, pistonsOh yeah could not be happier with it well except the original cam was bad, not gonna be going there again, makes two for me from them. I need to send you the pictures of it, ugly. Anyway had 243 passes on it and all it needed was a quick hone and it was good to go. BTW Jason seems to think it is close to 1100 now, but we did not dyno it this time, most the HP was from the fuel switch. I know it got me almost 3mph.

Now to move onto the next challenge

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 06:18 AM

Very Nicely Said..

Chris..

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 06:27 AM

Thanks, Chris.

Al, Jason and Duke never agreed with the original cam profile, and thought that it would have made close to 1100, if the cam profile was more aggressive. I erred on the side of caution, and let Scott @ Straightline go with his gut. Scott did a great job with the profile, but, it certainly could have made more power. (Always gave me a fuzzy feeling, knowing that there was more in that combo)

200+ passes.....that makes me feel great.

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 06:30 AM

Quote:

I have a 588 rotating assembly and B1MC top end. Should make 1000+ HP, but I'm needing a block. I would like aluminum, but may settle for iron. Which direction should I go.

Back to topic.......
If your motor is going to be a 588, I would think that, if your heads, intake, and cam profile are in unison, you should be able to make, at least 1150HP.

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 06:39 AM

To the OP, in all honesty if max HP is what you are after then cast is gonna be the best bet. While it is debateble how much power is lost with aluminum I think we can all agree it will be some. I also agree based on what my deal makes that with a 588 I would think 1100+ is more than doable. Someday I will grow up and build a big motor, but is 588 even big these days

Either way get after it, Going to be nice to see that old Cuda running real fast again. That is a good working car you got for sure.

BTW Chris, next time you talk to Jason ask him what his opinion of that cam is now. He is even less impressed now after the failure.....

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 06:51 AM

Is that Ticer's old Cuda?

If it is, it had a 588" B1 in it that made almost 1100hp.

Chris..

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 06:54 AM

Quote:

Is that Ticer's old Cuda?

If it is, it had a 588" B1 in it that made almost 1100hp.

Chris..

Yep it is. Ticer bought it from up here. BTW the guy who bought Ticers Daytona sure has some nice cars too.

I think we have gotten off topic a bit here
Posted By: MRMOPAR

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 07:29 AM

Indy low deck with 440 mains. Got it direct from Indy, no complaints at that time.
Posted By: jef408

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/23/10 02:03 PM

i agree totally,so nicely said.......

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/24/10 07:24 PM

It is Ticer's old Cuda. I bought it roller so I was running a 496 -1 in it. I'm going to step it up to 588 cid B1MC. I have everything I need except the block and oiling system. I started this thread because I was curious if an Indy aluminum block would hold up for me. I know that KB is the top of the line but I never see any of them, in a wedge version, for sale; once in a while you'll see an Indy for sale. If I don't go aluminum the Koleno is what I'll be looking for.
Posted By: BIG BEAR

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/24/10 08:47 PM

Quote:

It is Ticer's old Cuda. I bought it roller so I was running a 496 -1 in it. I'm going to step it up to 588 cid B1MC. I have everything I need except the block and oiling system. I started this thread because I was curious if an Indy aluminum block would hold up for me. I know that KB is the top of the line but I never see any of them, in a wedge version, for sale; once in a while you'll see an Indy for sale. If I don't go aluminum the Koleno is what I'll be looking for.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with
Posted By: racerx

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/24/10 09:52 PM

Can't wait to here the results on the Koleno's b blocks,when they are in production(besides the test block) there will be a long waiting list I'm sure.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/24/10 10:28 PM

The reason you don't see KB's for sale is, they are almost indestructable. And once you have one, why have anything else? And they are very nice to work with, you just need to have the time to wait. I hear they are better lately. I have 2 KB's and a World. I like them all, but there are some people having issues with the main studs on the World blocks.
Posted By: blownEFI

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/25/10 12:04 AM

Another vote for KB.

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/25/10 12:32 AM

Has anybody heard any news on an aluminum Koleno?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/25/10 01:08 PM

KB block here.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/25/10 01:35 PM

We suggest that you chose what block works for your intended build.Consider the power level,combo parts,time constraints,availability as well as a realistic budget.Research reliable sources of experiences and results from respected builder and ask questions as to why the preferr a specific block and the advantages as well as the disavantages.If your building under a 1200 HP engine most after market blocks would work fine,If your got for higher HP,goe for the best block your budget can afford.
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/25/10 06:07 PM

The first time I looked at KB block up close was last winter. I bought it and a set of heads, new but unused. After looking at the quality of the block, I will never use anything but a KB block again. Not saying there isn't other quality stuff out there, but they are in my opinion the best.
Posted By: poisondart2

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/25/10 06:25 PM

Quote:

We suggest that you chose what block works for your intended build.Consider the power level,combo parts,time constraints,availability as well as a realistic budget.Research reliable sources of experiences and results from respected builder and ask questions as to why the preferr a specific block and the advantages as well as the disavantages.If your building under a 1200 HP engine most after market blocks would work fine,If your got for higher HP,goe for the best block your budget can afford.

Would not the BEST block be the one that doesnt break or if it did can be fixed? I thought i saw the KB block advertised for $5,100.00 which aluminum block is cheaper? My
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/25/10 06:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Would not the BEST block be the one that doesnt break or if it did can be fixed? I thought i saw the KB block advertised for $5,100.00 which aluminum block is cheaper? My

Tell me which one won't break and it's worth it no matter what the cost.I would never tell anyone who's block to use.It's up to each person to decide,I only provided a opinion of a criteria to use to make a qualified decision on which to choose a block.If I were building engines over 2000 HP then I would rely on the experts opinion whom I have respect for to steer me in the right direction.As said many times here at BGR we build reliable bracket engines not exotic ticking time bombs.I'am not here to debate who's block one should choose.

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/25/10 06:44 PM

What you have stated above is exactly what I am doing. I know that there will be some people who have an axe to grind, pertaining to some manufacturers and I don't place to much weight on their opinion; however, if there are a number of unrelated negative claims I will research that manufacturer closer to uncover what the real problem is.
I tend to over build whatever project I dive into, so I'm trying not to over build too far (read that over spend). I'm also using a lot of quality used parts to stay within my budget.
Posted By: poisondart2

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/25/10 07:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tell me which one won't break and it's worth it no matter what the cost.I would never tell anyone who's block to use.It's up to each person to decide,I only provided a opinion of a criteria to use to make a qualified decision on which to choose a block.If I were building engines over 2000 HP then I would rely on the experts opinion whom I have respect for to steer me in the right direction.As said many times here at BGR we build reliable bracket engines not exotic ticking time bombs.I'am not here to debate who's block one should choose.

I didnt mean to offend just saying that for the money what block is better or equal to the KB ? The fact that one is not making 2000HP but making 700 Why wouldnt you want the best block you can find with-in the same cost factor? I would guess that in reading these threads for years that KB blocks are the best Aluminum blocks as I have never read anything bad about them.I would want to know if (I) asked what was the best block for the money from a expert with hundreds of builds.I would also think that most people on here use the info here to make decisions as what to buy and who to use for services.I do and this is why i posted this.Sorry

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/25/10 09:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I didnt mean to offend just saying that for the money what block is better or equal to the KB ? The fact that one is not making 2000HP but making 700 Why wouldnt you want the best block you can find with-in the same cost factor? I would guess that in reading these threads for years that KB blocks are the best Aluminum blocks as I have never read anything bad about them.I would want to know if (I) asked what was the best block for the money from a expert with hundreds of builds.I would also think that most people on here use the info here to make decisions as what to buy and who to use for services.I do and this is why i posted this.Sorry

No offence was taken. Just trying to collect as much info as I can before I decide.
I agree that the KB is the best bang for the buck, new. I've got an order form for one setting on my desk right now. If I don't find a used KB or Maxx by December I'll be sending in the order.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/25/10 09:25 PM

When you get the KB, it's finished. The Indy is not. The cost is within $200 with the Indy being more in the finished state.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/25/10 09:48 PM

I should sell my world and get an indy low deck!
Posted By: go green

Re: AL wedge Indy Maxx or Keith Black - 10/26/10 04:16 AM

The KB is decked , comes with head studs , and finish honed .
The Indy ,, dont even get me started .
© 2024 Moparts Forums