Moparts

How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south

Posted By: BobsProFab

How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 01:11 AM

any of you guys run there and how is the track ?

http://www.rockinghamdragway.com/

thanks Bob
Posted By: Leon441

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 01:22 AM

Mineshaft air right now I'd say.

At a good event the track hooks. That's all I go to is good events. Had a bad track prep years ago at a Mopar race.
Posted By: hemiparts

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? - 10/21/10 01:23 AM

Good Luck The last time we ran there the track was horrible !!!! If the wind is blowing stay out of the left lane. When you come past the end of the concrete bleachers thers is a killer cross wind ( saw cars move almost across center line )Facilities not very well mainteined. Good Luck in the Summitt Team Finals.

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? - 10/21/10 01:32 AM

im looking for tracks that will be running in Nov. and Dec. down south on east side to do some testing and would like to go some where thats decent and knows how to prep a track.
perfer a 1/4 track

any suggestion's would be great !

thanks Bob
Posted By: RonP

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? - 10/21/10 01:38 AM

You are pretty much stuck with the rock as far as I am concerned. i have never had bad luck at Rockingham. Need to get there soon and run mine in the 1/4 again. You need to go further to darlington maybe or even into Florida. Bristol Dragway would probably be a good choice as well, but not sure what the schedule is. the only other 1/4 track that I know of is Fayetteville and I am not a fan of that place at all.

Good luck
Posted By: barracuda man

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 01:54 AM

bob look in to these.
coastalplainsdragway.hooks hard. dunn/benson dragstrip.hooks good
kinstondragstrip.hooks so so
Posted By: Greg

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? - 10/21/10 02:00 AM

Bob,

If they are having a bigger race I think the track would be fine. The few times I have been down there it was decent. I went down on a Friday night test-n-tune and the top end was slick. The next day was fine.
Posted By: all spooled up

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? - 10/21/10 02:05 AM

SOUTH GEORGIA MOTOR SP RTS PARK HANDS DOWN

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 02:18 AM

Quote:

bob look in to these.
coastalplainsdragway.hooks hard. dunn/benson dragstrip.hooks good
kinstondragstrip.hooks so so

Coastal Plains is a killer track Troy Humphries test his Pro Stockers there. Dunn-Benson is hands down the best 1/8 of a mile track in NC the facilities are second only to Z-Max the track is finsihed for 1/4 mile but they won't have the timming equip moved until Jan. Kinston has a 1/4 mile facility and they run a winter race serise, and it's now run by former sportsman world champion Danny Waters Jr so they keep that track in pretty good condition also. If you just want to work on short times I recommend Dunn Benson if you need to go a 1/4 I would say Kinston or Coastal Plains.
Posted By: a408swinger

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? - 10/21/10 02:20 AM

Quote:

im looking for tracks that will be running in Nov. and Dec. down south on east side to do some testing and would like to go some where thats decent and knows how to prep a track.
perfer a 1/4 track

thanks Bob

Carolina Dragway (House of Hook). Best track in the south plain and simple. Its a HUGE grudge track and is always on kill.
Posted By: Captain Flapjack

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 02:22 AM

id look at it as a good local to regional type of track

you can usually get a good amount of time shots in to dial your car in if needed

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 03:12 AM

1/8 mile would work also
i need to get test hits on the combo to dial in chassis and check convertor

it looks like late Nov. to early Dec. before i can have the new car ready and i dont plan on waiting till next spring

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 03:18 AM

http://www.coastalplainsraceway.com/dragway/schedule/
http://www.kdsmotorsports.com/
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 04:11 AM

In December, you can likely forget anything in the Carolinas, it will be cold and all the tracks closed, or if they are open, it's very hit/miss on weather. For testing in December, about the farthest north you can be, would likely be SGMP. The track is 1/4 mile and the surface is KILLER.

Monte
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 04:17 AM

If you want to travel, go to Carolina , house of hook.
Lots of grudge racing, and the name speaks for itself .
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 01:03 PM

Carolina Dragway, the house of hook, is 1/4 mile and near the Georgia line. Always hooks good. Wish it wasn't almost a 4 hour drive for me to get there.

Darlington Dragway is nice, 1/4 mile, and track prep is decent. This is where I usually go.

Rockingham's track prep is usually terrible, unless it's a big event. Test and Tune there is a joke as far as track prep.

Fayetteville Motorsports Park is a nice place, 1/4 mile, and has been prepped good every time I've been there.

The weather in December is hit and miss. We've had Christmases when I was wearing shorts all day, then again it's been cold as he11 too.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 01:15 PM

My Rockingham experience:sand spurrs,snakes,rodents,rain,cold and some "wild racing"
Posted By: chris3

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 01:29 PM

The information you have been given is pretty much correct. North Carolina probably has more drag strips than any state; however, the weather here after mid-November is a roll of the dice.
Rockingham is a 1/4 mile track but they do not prep that track very well unless there is a big race. Fayetteville is a 1/4 mile but it can be a wreck at times. Dunn Benson has completely rebuilt their track and is going to run 1/4 mile, I think beginning next year. The track is closing in November and will not re-open until March. Carolina Dragway "House of Hook" would be a good choice; however, you got to look at the weather forecast.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? - 10/21/10 01:55 PM

Quote:

perfer a 1/4 track

thanks Bob

Great post Bob!!! At some point soon hopefully, Me and "the Randinator" will swing down with my car/trailer and we'll go south (convoy) to good surfaces and weather.
Posted By: Boosted

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? - 10/21/10 01:57 PM

Quote:

perfer a 1/4 track

thanks Bob

Track wise there are no better tracks in the State of GA as far as prep, area, weather and ownership than Silver Dollar Raceway.

See my Signature Bob.. Great track 1/4mile NHRA rules and alot of the big names come down here to test..

My club has a track day coming up in Nov.. See sig and you are welcome to come play.. You can show time or not and run as many times as you can 1/8 or 1/4. Air temp here in Middle GA is always great except for late January /Feb.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 02:11 PM

Quote:

My Rockingham experience:sand spurrs,snakes,rodents,rain,cold and some "wild racing"

Hey, We've never been there

Posted By: MegaDart

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 03:10 PM

If I were you would head south on I75 and not stop till I got to SGMP. It would be worth the extra time and fuel costs to tow there. Call the track tell them your coming and they will probably roll out the red carpet for you... It is the nicest facility I've been to south of the Mason/Dixon line. If it's testing time you are after I would recommend getting in on a track rental rather then tnt nite.

as for Rockingham, don't care if I ever go back there...
Posted By: dc426

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 04:45 PM

another vote for SGMP
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 08:02 PM

Road Trip
Posted By: RonP

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 08:11 PM

Quote:

another vote for SGMP

yeah, I haven't raced there, but man it is a nice place. While visiting some family in Ga, I went to this track with a friend and it was awesome. Even got to meet Quicktree!! what more could you ask for??
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 08:16 PM

SGMP, is a great. track, house of hook is a little ghetto,
As, far as them being lack on inspections of race cars, you get away with murder there. But otherwise its a great track.
Posted By: DakFink

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/21/10 09:39 PM

Most of the tracks in Texas are open until the weekend before Christmas.

Texas Motorplex in Ennis is a BIG track (NHRA)1/4 mile. About 30miles south of Dallas.

San Antonio is another BIG NHRA track about 15miles east of SA.

Too bad your looking at doing this before you have my truck ready.

Posted By: Leon441

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/22/10 12:47 AM

I test at Peidmont and Fayetteville year round. Piedmont shuts down just before Chrismas and does not open til after the 1st and then it has to be 40 degrees to run. I ran one of my best time evers when the air was 40 degrees and we were struggling to keep heat in the bottle. Carolina has plenty of racing through the winter just have to catch the warmer weekends. Thanks to the weather channel that should be easier to do.
Posted By: Mr. T

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/22/10 12:51 AM

If North Carolina has more drag strips than any other state, they must have a bunch of them. I have 4 different ones within a 1 hour drive of my home.
Posted By: j.mcconnell

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/22/10 04:44 AM

theres at least 5 withing ~1hr of raleigh and if you go west theres zmax, mooresville and shady side within about an hour of lincolnton. not counting carolina or anything on the coast

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/22/10 05:10 AM

From Raleigh NC 1)Coastal Plains 2) Northeast Dragway 3) New Bern Motorsports 4) Harrells Dragway 5) Outerbanks Dragway 2-3 hrs east -- 6) Fayetteville 7) Dunn-Benson 8) Piedmont dragway 9) Brewers Dragstrip 10)Roxboro Motorsports 11)Kinston Dragstrip within 1hr --- 12) Rockingham Dragway 13) Wilkesboro Motorsports 14) Farmington Dargway 15) Mooresville Drastrip 16 ) Z-max Dragway 17 ) Shady Side Dragstrip 3-4 hrs west Hope I didn't leave anyone out
Posted By: Dap

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/22/10 01:26 PM

What tracks are around 7 Lakes N.C.? My Dad closed on a house there earlier this month.
Posted By: chris3

Re: How's Rockingham Dragway ? or good track down south - 10/22/10 01:38 PM

Seven Lakes Community is less than 30 miles from Rockingham Dragway at Pinehurst. You could also go north to Piedmont about 1 1/2 hour ride or south toward Pageland.
© 2024 Moparts Forums