Moparts

Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?)

Posted By: CHRONiklyDEMONic

Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 04/17/08 12:03 PM

What's available these days for BB a-bodies? Are there any underchassis that aren't a headache?

Maybe we can start a list, including Price, and your experiance/opinions?

Posted By: cogen80

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 04/17/08 12:10 PM

only two under chasis that i know of off the top of my heard are:

schumacher easy install from what i hear.
tti

headman- fenderwells
hookers- fenderwells
pro parts- semi fenderwell

Posted By: SLEDGEHAMMER

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 04/17/08 01:03 PM

I am surprised that I can not locate a set of used a-body fenderwell headers.
Posted By: T748

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 04/17/08 04:02 PM

Personal experience-
Bob mazzolini 440 A body headers-

I think these are headman B body headers. They fit with with plenty of clearance dents added with the big hammer. including flattening the passenger side inner fenderwell with a sledge at the shock tower. Plug clearance with stock heads is ok. If I remember correctly they are 1 3/4" primaries.Changing plugs will take an afternoon unless you cut some acsess holes in fenderwells.

CPPA headers-
2" primaries, industrial chrome plated.I believe these are the same as modern TTI headers. These headers burned the boots of every plug wire and shield I tried with the exception of Jacobs wires with the ceramic boot. Switching to edelbrock heads cured all plug wire issues. The down side to these are that they totally encapsulate the starter. Want to change it? the motor is going to have to come out. when the motor goes in, the starter better be in the right position. If the body has rotated a bit too much and you get the motor in, you wont be able to spin the starter into it's correct position without pulling the motor back out. I've done all my motor installations by myself hanging the headers and starter roughly in place with safety wire. If you have a helper I'm sure you can knock a few hours off of the installation time.

Pro-Parts semi fenderwell headers-
The answer to everyone's prayers that has had underchassis headers in an A body. 2" primaries, can be installed or removed with the engine in place. Starter can be changed out without drama, even at the track! No issues with tires and turning. Ground clearance is almost the same as the CPPA's. Headers that assymble in one and two tube sections are the way to go as far as i'm concerned.
On the downside, at least for some, the headers require holes in the fenderwells. Of course so did the underchassis headers if you want to change plugs in less than a day. These holes just have to be bigger.
-Tom.
Posted By: CHRONiklyDEMONic

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 04/17/08 09:45 PM

Does Tubular Automotive make BB A-body headers?

Their SB headers are killer.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 04/18/08 12:34 AM

Quote:

Yes they do, from what I read online. If you call them and get info, please post it back here, I don't need headers now but it's nice to see what's out there..
Posted By: whiskeyrunner

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 04/18/08 12:39 AM

does anyone have pics of the semi fenderwell headers installed on a car? i'm interested

thanks,
Matt
Posted By: Ari440

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 04/18/08 12:43 AM

Quote:

does anyone have pics of the semi fenderwell headers installed on a car? i'm interested

thanks,
Matt

proparts

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 04/18/08 12:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes they do, from what I read online. If you call them and get info, please post it back here, I don't need headers now but it's nice to see what's out there..

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 04/18/08 12:49 AM

do u remember what the proparts semi's set you back? money wise

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 04/18/08 12:50 AM

Quote:

call BOB MAZZOLINI

they go for $500 plus shipping

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 04/18/08 12:54 AM

thanks a bunch!
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 04/18/08 01:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

call BOB MAZZOLINI

i remember getting a few sets for under $400 years ago. lol.

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 04/18/08 01:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

call BOB MAZZOLINI

i remember getting a few sets for under $400 years ago. lol.

I got mine for $450 ..... 15 years ago

mayo performance sells them too ( migth be cheaper ) ... about 450 (not sure )

hensly wants $600 for the proparts
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 05/02/08 01:55 AM

This winter I bought the ProParts 2" semi-fenderwell headers for my 69 Dart with a low deck and 440-1 heads.
When I bolted on all 8 tubes I was thrilled with how they fit and didn't hit anything.

But then I went to put the collectors on and things got ugly. The drivers side hung close to the ground on a bad angle and the passenger side ran right into the tranny k-member frame. And when I turned the steering wheel I realized one of the tubes(#1) was hitting the steering drag link bar very hard.

So I had to ding the #1 tube pretty hard, cut the drivers side collector and give it a different angle, same with the passenger collector and shortened it to get it away from the tranny k-member.

But once I was done with the chop saw and the welding for about 3 weeks my body was wore out but they fit pretty nice now, although the collectors are not fun to try and slide over 4 pipes that are all fighting against each other.
It took some work but I'm happy with the headers now, just need to get the car running again so I can drive it to settle the front suspension and make sure they're not too close to the ground, especially the drivers side.

Wish I could post pics but our main computer that was setup for all that crashed.

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 05/02/08 02:01 AM

next time

leave the pipes loose on the heads that way you can slip the collecters on easy and will not figth you

I dinged number 1 pipe too

the heigth of the moter makes a diffrence

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 05/02/08 02:47 AM

I did leave the pipes loose on the heads, still no fun.

I got them for $500 shipped from Mazzolini so they're not expensive and they will be pretty easy to work with now. I personally do not recommend cutting off the 3-bolt exhaust flanges, I rotated mine and rewelded them so they don't face the ground but I used to collector reducers that come with the headers to make tools to remove/install the collectors. We welded steel plate to the end of them with a nut in the center, that way I can bolt them to my collectors to tap them on w/o hurting the flange on the collectos and I can attach a small slide hammer to the nut to remove the collectors when necessary. I CANNOT imagine getting these collectors off w/o the 3-bolt flanges.

I also added a couple more L shaped tabs to bolt the collectors to the pipes. The number 8 pipe barely slides in far enough.
Posted By: enelson

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 05/02/08 03:21 AM

After clearancing the #3 primary (I think) on these headers to fit my low deck with edelbrocks, I've decided to leave them off the car for now. I have hedman b body headers (1 3/4") and they have quite a few dings here and there, and can use a few more of course but they're on the car. I'm saving my pro parts for either a raised port head or RB swap.

B body headers capture starter and all that, but unbolting driver side mount and flange bolts isn't that big a deal, have a picker here so we'll get it done ^_^
Eric
Posted By: GwaiiEagle

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 05/02/08 03:23 AM

Mine are Hedman 75150. 1"3/4 3" col. Accepts power steering. Very minimum denting. In a 383 Duster. Would be better with a 2 inch primary.

What those headers sound like at 6500 and the tires smoking (Just ignore the part with the Beaumont).

Okay, maybe not quite 6500...
Posted By: enelson

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 05/02/08 03:29 AM

From hearing what people have had to do to other underchassis a body headers, I think 99$ b body hedmans aren't so bad. I'm glad I took the gamble and bought them when I did. No idea how they are nowadays... or if the PN# I have is even made still....
Posted By: RacerGofKGB

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 05/02/08 11:04 AM

Is anyone using 2" B-body headers or are they all smaller?
Posted By: nhramark

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 05/02/08 04:53 PM

Well I had custom headers made for my car. They are 2" to 2 1/8" step headers. I can get to all my spark plugs easily, there are NO sharp bends or dings, I can remove my starter in less than 5 minutes, I can remove or install them quickley with no drama, AND I have maximum ground clearance as they are tucked up nice and tight to the floor pans.

Great investment over the long haul, one of the best moves I made on my car.
Posted By: 67Dart383

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 05/04/08 04:23 AM

These are my homemade ones. Modified b-body headers of unknown make.

Attached picture 4403340-100_0137.jpg

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 05/04/08 02:17 PM

NHRAMark, custom is definitely the best way to go, I just didn't have an extra $700 laying around. When I do I can always sell these and get some customs. But for now they're on there and seem to fit pretty good.
Posted By: SanityLost

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 05/04/08 03:30 PM

When I first built my Dart 15 years ago I did not want cut the car. So this really limited my options especially back then.
I purchased a set of then first issue CPPA headers with 2" primaries down to a 3 1/2" collector.
The clearance issues were ridiculous. I had to finesse the #7 and #8 tube for plug wire clearance.I had to basically crush one tube for Pitman arm clearance and YES it does capture the starter.
I had them in the car for over 12 years. 3 years ago when I built the new motor for the car I looked at other options. Now again not wanting to cut the car really limited my options, BUT atleast there are other options out there now.
I was going to go with Schumacher try-Y header which I think are 1 5/8" primary that step up to 1 3/4" to a 2 1/2" ball type exhaust flange.
Was real tempted with these when saw them in a friends Duster, The fit was awesome BUT was leary of the size of the tubes.
I ended up coming across a Set of New TTI underchassis headers from a failed project for $150. I went with these as my exhaust at the time was built for the CPPA's. Now these are basically the old CPPA header with the clearance issues "supposedly" have been corrected....
What I found was, plug clearance was better but still not optimal and I massaged a few to make it a little better.
I still had to dimple the tube for the pitman arm clearance AND ground down the tip of the stud to the very top of the hole for the cotter pin. One thing I did not have to due that much banging on TTI as I had to do on the CPPA's for the pitman arm clearance.
Having an RB surely helped. I would assume with a low deck that the clearance surely would of been much worse.
Still encases the starter and Manual steering is a must.
Plug changes are still time consuming BUT I have made or modified different sockets and wrenches over the years to make the job easier. I can change 1,3,5,7 in about 10 minutes, 2,4,8 in about another 10 minutes, all from up top. #6 WHOA what a PITA!!! I have to change this one from underneath with socket,wrench on the end of it getting little turns as open space is extremely limited and VERY tight as takes about 10-15 minutes on its own.
I guess it would be easier IF I was to make an access hole in the fenderwell but I deal with it. Plug wires need periodic replacement and should be checked regularly depending upon amount of use for burns.
Plugs #7,6 & 8 are close to the tube. On these inbween the tube and boot I use some header wrap as a buffer.
Now with installation of the motor. I put the motor,trans,and headers in with everything bolted up.
I used to put it in from the top with the steering column removed and the torsion bars removed as well. This made it very easy to do, depending on the type of oil pan you were using. I tried the same method again when I had the motor out for freshening up. I changed out my oil pan to a Milodon low profile wedge style oil pan instead of the tried and true Moroso pan I used to run.
With the wedge profile milodon I had to notch out the k-frame lip for clearance which I did not know about until it fought me tooth and nail trying to get the motor and then I finally saw what the hang up was.
The other way I have put the motor in is from underneath already bolted up to the k-frame. This is by far the easiest and best way to do it in my opinion ESPECIALLY if the car is painted.
Now for future removal/install and hopefully not for loooooooooooooooooong time This is the way I will do it from now on.
Whew I have to take a nap now
Posted By: Gumbydammit

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 05/04/08 04:27 PM

Quote:

Well I had custom headers made for my car. They are 2" to 2 1/8" step headers. I can get to all my spark plugs easily, there are NO sharp bends or dings, I can remove my starter in less than 5 minutes, I can remove or install them quickley with no drama, AND I have maximum ground clearance as they are tucked up nice and tight to the floor pans.

Great investment over the long haul, one of the best moves I made on my car.

Mark, do you have any good pics of the headers in your car?

After using TTI headers, ( came with the car ) I just can't see paying $500 or more for a set of headers that don't fit verus $700 or more for a set of custom headers. It is money well spent I think. For other cars I've used Kooks and Tubular Automotive and was very happy with the results. I have no idea who does headers around me now that I live here in Ga, but I'm sure there is someone.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 05/15/08 02:38 PM

Quote:

Mine are Hedman 75150. 1"3/4 3" col. Accepts power steering. Very minimum denting. In a 383 Duster. Would be better with a 2 inch primary.

Do you have power steering or info to confirm that they fit? Everyone else seems to say manual is required. I'm putting a 383 in my Duster and want to keep the ps. Also, is there an advantage/disadvantage to the '73 and up steering components (different pitman/idler/drag link)?
Pictures/info would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 05/15/08 04:09 PM

I have Mad-dawg 2" headers on mine now with low deck 440-1's with a little mod. to #7 and #4. #7 had to be cut and dinged to miss the steering, and #4 hit the torsion bar. Besides that not too bad at all. I bought them off ebay for 550$ I beleive. They fit perfect with my low deck w/ stg 6 heads. This is all with rack-n-pinion steering so can't say about steering clearance.
Posted By: mopartony

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 05/15/08 05:05 PM

I guess you need to figure out if you want max performance or just something that will work and kill the performance.

I am using Stahl Headers in my 68 Dart. They were on a low deck with 440-1's. They are 2 1/8 to 4 inch collectors. They are real close to equal length I think with in and inch. There are 3 out and 1 in on both sides. no dinging needed. The only adjustment made was when I went to the new style master cyl I have to move on of the tubes around.

Pics are in the tech section of bigblockdart.com

forgot, they will run you just over a grand. they are slip fit and very, very nice.
Posted By: GTSDave

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 10/12/08 02:49 AM

MoparTony,

Do you have a web link for the Stahl headers?

OOPS found it. WOW they are pricey. $1,450.00!

http://www.stahlheaders.com/Web321P_1.html

Doesn't say what transmissions will work. I have elephant ears with a 4-Speed on a Low deck with Indy SR's. My Pro-Parts seem to fit very well during mock up. They are an older set of headers, and are getting thin in a couple of places.

Would consider going with the Stahl if I knew for sure they would fit. The will work better with my engine combo though as my ProParts will be a little bit on the small side.

-Dave
Posted By: Kudakidd

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 10/12/08 04:14 AM

Youse got two choices,both underbody since fenderwell headers on a street car suck. tti for manual trans. A-bodies or Schumachers tri-y if you're running a slushbox.
Posted By: SLEDGEHAMMER

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 07/14/09 03:13 AM

I did find a set of 383-400ci B-body headers at Carlisle this weekend but nothing for a RB motor.

I was hoping to find something so I could check out the fit with a 440.
Posted By: PUNK

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 07/14/09 03:34 AM

The origional "ProParts" headers are no longer being produced and have not been for several years. Anyone that bought them recently simply purchased old inventory which is fine. Bob Mazzolini recently had them remade and improved and also offers a 2 - 2 1/8 step header in the same design. I believe that TTI is producing the headers specifically for Bob. They are not cheap either. They are right up there in price as the standard TTI stuff and Hooker Super Comp prices. Still cheaper than custom. I believe they are like $850 or so. Im not sure, so you would have to contact Bob Direct. I recently asked Bob how they were selling and he said surprisingly well despite the recession. He thinks the economy is starting to turn around because people are buying his headers again.LOL. ANyways Bobs number is 951-787-8783.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 07/14/09 04:34 AM

I LOVE my hooker 2" fenderwells.

the headers come out 10 minutes--the starter in 5 . The plugs are easy to get to . No complaints except they burnt some paint on the firewall...
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 07/14/09 12:49 PM

Quote:

CPPA headers-
2" primaries, industrial chrome plated.I believe these are the same as modern TTI headers. These headers burned the boots of every plug wire and shield I tried with the exception of Jacobs wires with the ceramic boot. Switching to edelbrock heads cured all plug wire issues. The down side to these are that they totally encapsulate the starter. Want to change it? the motor is going to have to come out. when the motor goes in, the starter better be in the right position. If the body has rotated a bit too much and you get the motor in, you wont be able to spin the starter into it's correct position without pulling the motor back out. I've done all my motor installations by myself hanging the headers and starter roughly in place with safety wire. If you have a helper I'm sure you can knock a few hours off of the installation time.

The starter actually CAN be changed in the car, but it's a pain in the butt. I did mine many times.
When I switched to a ministarter I found out it was JUST in the way of one header tube, which I dinged in the car, teeny tiny little hammer and teeny tiny little swings, took me two hours to make one little ding.
You have to pull the steering column and steering box as well as lift the engine to get the starter out while the engine remains in the car, it ain't fun but it CAN be done!
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 07/14/09 12:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

call BOB MAZZOLINI

I just got a set of mazzolini tti's 2 1/8 for $936 delivered raw the car I just bought has some nice fenderwells on it.... I WILL be selling one of the sets
Posted By: QWK_ENUF

Re: Big Block A-Body Headers (what's avbl? PITAs?) - 07/14/09 02:23 PM

Quote:

I LOVE my hooker 2" fenderwells.

the headers come out 10 minutes--the starter in 5 . The plugs are easy to get to . No complaints except they burnt some paint on the firewall...

and when they are coated they look bad AZZ
© 2024 Moparts Forums