Moparts

440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan

Posted By: runnerrt

440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan - 10/12/10 12:34 AM

I am pulling my 383 this weekend to paint the engine compartment and while it is out I am looking at replacing the oil pan. I am considering the Fabricated aluminum oil pan from 440 Source and was wondering if anyone is using one and what they think of it ? Thanks, Mark
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan - 10/12/10 01:26 AM

I read on here that one guy said his leaked.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: 440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan - 10/12/10 02:48 AM

A friend building a 520 stroker went through 2 of these, the welding is low quality..
I would suggest to spend the extra $ & buy a Milodon....

Just my $0.02...
Posted By: PC-CHARGER

Re: 440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan - 10/12/10 02:50 AM

I have one on my engine. It's not bad but a few things to watch for. First, the drain plug is metric thread so be sure to ask and order the correct one. Secondly, I had to enlarge the 4 holes at the front and back of the pan in order to get it on. I have a stud kit for the pan so I couldn't even get it on until I enlarged those eight holes. Last of all, the baffling is marginal. Other than that, it hasn't leaked yet. For the money, it's not too bad but I'd probably look at a different one next time.
Posted By: Plumcrazyracing

Re: 440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan - 10/12/10 04:15 AM

Quote:

I have one on my engine. It's not bad but a few things to watch for. First, the drain plug is metric thread so be sure to ask and order the correct one. Secondly, I had to enlarge the 4 holes at the front and back of the pan in order to get it on. I have a stud kit for the pan so I couldn't even get it on until I enlarged those eight holes. Last of all, the baffling is marginal. Other than that, it hasn't leaked yet. For the money, it's not too bad but I'd probably look at a different one next time.

Pretty much the way I see it, except, I would stick with the source pan. I have bottomed the pan out once too many times and finally cracked one of the welds. However, minus the MINOR alignment issues, a very solid pan! For the money, I would stick with this pan. If you don't have a drag link to deal with then step up to a Charlies pan. Other than that, this pan gets the job done and looks great. The sump is just as low as the Milodon, so no change there.

Steve
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: 440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan - 10/12/10 05:28 AM

just my but my Milodon pan leaked they replaced it and #2 leaks also.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan - 10/12/10 05:35 AM

I don't have their fabricated pan, I have their regular deep sump pan. No issues.
Posted By: cl440

Re: 440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan - 10/12/10 01:22 PM

We had the same issues with Milodon pans!
Posted By: runnerrt

Re: 440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan - 10/14/10 02:36 AM

Thanks for the info. Not sure which one I am going to use but it does give me somthing to think about.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan - 10/14/10 02:38 AM

Quote:

We had the same issues with Milodon pans!

Owned a bunch of Moroso pans over the years and none of them ever leaked.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan - 10/14/10 02:43 AM

Quote:

I don't have their fabricated pan, I have their regular deep sump pan. No issues.

Same here.

I haven't fired the motor yet but pressurized the oiling system with a priming tool and no leaks. Bolted on perfectly and welds all look good.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: 440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan - 10/14/10 02:51 AM

I have the 440Source Fab alum pan and love it. The thick pan rail distorts a little from all the welding, just elongate a few of the holes and it's ready to bolt on. I use the Superformance oil pan gaskets with a windage tray, no sealer and no leaks. You can't find a nice fab alum pan anywhere else for 150 bucks.
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: 440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan - 10/14/10 03:22 AM

Quote:

I read on here that one guy said his leaked.

Back in the 70's, I had a Sox & Martin Super Stock pan with the Side Kick out. It split on the rear side at a welded seam. Just saying it could happen to anyones pan if it was built out of thin alum to keep it light. Had it re welded and no other problems.
I looked at one of Brandons pans at a show and it looked really good. I would buy one if I was in the market for one.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: 440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan - 10/14/10 03:51 AM

are the demensions the same as the milodon? mine has JB Weld on it to stop the leaks.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 440 Source Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan - 10/14/10 05:52 AM

I have an extra one if you're interested. Never used it except in some pictures. I'm pretty sure I also have the pickup for it.

Attached picture 6249656-BB_dolly.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums