Moparts

8 seconds and broke

Posted By: joshking440

8 seconds and broke - 10/06/10 03:41 AM

Most everyone read the issues I had at norwalk, so tonight I decided to take the car to ORP and see if all my findings corrected the issues with fuel pressure and timing.... First pass off the trailer 8.97 at 157....pretty nice I thought. Car pulled well, hooked good with a 1.37 short time and 5.82 @123 at the 1/8th....

So My buddy Phil (philbilly) decided it was time to play with the boost controller so we could start to make some more steam in the first part of the track. Now mind you, he is the crew chief for Corey Mac, and has a very fast 4.20's in the 1/8th nitrous mustang so I dont mind him helping me out... so we set up a map where if the car was making 2 lbs we turned it up to 4 and if it was making 5bs we turned it up to 10 and if it was making 15 lbs we turned it up to 20 so we should see some good gains, but we were not just cranking the thing up to max volume.....this is where it gets good.....

Stage the car, put it on the tbrake, and I can tell its makin more power because I can feel it pushing thru the brake a little bit....light goes green and for the first time in the car I thought holy sh%t this is gonna be fun, all I can see is sky, all I can hear is the whistle of the turbo, and in 1.03 seconds according to the racepak, it was all over, car comes down hard and huge bang, clunk, clunk, clunk turn the car off and roll towards the wall. thoughts run wild...its all over, there are gonna be bill miller rods all over ORP....Copes transmission is gonna have a chunks hanging out....wait, do I still have both feet, ok good.... is it the flexplate, u-joints....what could it be.
Jump out of the car and there is not a lick of fluid on the track...nothing I can see is broken, 4 wheeler pulls up and tows me back to the pit...clunk, clunk, clung, grind, clunk clunk.... get back and start her up to investigate....cars cranks ok, starts ok...put her in gear, drive shaft spins and thats it.....clunk clunk clunk.....I blew up the rear end....Dana S60 with a tru-trac and 3:55 gears.... 35 spline axles....not sure whats broke.....but its effin broke.... Tomorrow a call to DTS to see what they want me to do.... Mike up there was certain that with a radial street tire and a turbo I wouldnt brake that tru-trac, but it could be ring and pinion I guess. Time will tell.

So we pull the racepak to see what it shows and the boost controller must not have worked as planned. we left at 4lbs like anticapated and in 1.03 seconds it ramped to 24lbs of boost, which I know by dyno experience, thats about 1250hp and 1000ft lbs of torque... it felt amazing, like I was on a ride to outerspace....for a brief second.....

So its broke, and next year...it will be faster!!!!!!
Posted By: goody340g

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/06/10 04:38 AM

that sucks, next yr maybe i can round up the parkers and my dad and bro. and come see that beast go down the track.
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/06/10 08:29 AM

good effert to put some power down!
get it fixed and be safe. lots to dream about for next yr.
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/06/10 09:11 AM

The silver lining is, rear ends aren't as expensive as engines. Looking forward to hearing what actually broke inside.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/06/10 12:14 PM

I'll tell you now that that rear wont survive in that car. Get a strange ultracase 9 inch with large pinion shaft upgrade. When you put that much torque to a rear with a ratio that low, than add to it a hard street gear, the outcome will be continuously disasterous. Dont spend another dime on that rear if you want to go faster. You can get large pinion 9 inch pro gears in 3.50,3.60,3.89 etc..
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/06/10 12:25 PM

Quote:

The silver lining is, rear ends aren't as expensive as engines. Looking forward to hearing what actually broke inside.

Noooo doubt.
Posted By: Boosted

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/06/10 02:27 PM

Man I hate that happened but dang what a car you have.....
Posted By: Efidart

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/06/10 04:34 PM

Haven't had any problems with 3.89 non pro gears in a 9" strange center section on the street and going low 8's with more weight.
Wouldn't run anything but a spool in your car, and my money is on the tru trac being in pieces!

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/06/10 05:42 PM

Quote:

that sucks, next yr maybe i can round up the parkers and my dad and bro. and come see that beast go down the track.

Next year I will be at Martin a little more...I told Sean that I was gonna put his dragster on the trailer with a street car in a heads up race....
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/06/10 05:48 PM

sorry you broke it, also dont forget to check your transmission, i been hearing way to much about transmisions blowing up right after a rear has blown.
Posted By: dusta340

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/07/10 04:27 AM

Quote:

Most everyone read the issues I had at norwalk, so tonight I decided to take the car to ORP and see if all my findings corrected the issues with fuel pressure and timing.... First pass off the trailer 8.97 at 157....pretty nice I thought. Car pulled well, hooked good with a 1.37 short time and 5.82 @123 at the 1/8th....

So My buddy Phil (philbilly) decided it was time to play with the boost controller so we could start to make some more steam in the first part of the track. Now mind you, he is the crew chief for Corey Mac, and has a very fast 4.20's in the 1/8th nitrous mustang so I dont mind him helping me out... so we set up a map where if the car was making 2 lbs we turned it up to 4 and if it was making 5bs we turned it up to 10 and if it was making 15 lbs we turned it up to 20 so we should see some good gains, but we were not just cranking the thing up to max volume.....this is where it gets good.....

Stage the car, put it on the tbrake, and I can tell its makin more power because I can feel it pushing thru the brake a little bit....light goes green and for the first time in the car I thought holy sh%t this is gonna be fun, all I can see is sky, all I can hear is the whistle of the turbo, and in 1.03 seconds according to the racepak, it was all over, car comes down hard and huge bang, clunk, clunk, clunk turn the car off and roll towards the wall. thoughts run wild...its all over, there are gonna be bill miller rods all over ORP....Copes transmission is gonna have a chunks hanging out....wait, do I still have both feet, ok good.... is it the flexplate, u-joints....what could it be.
Jump out of the car and there is not a lick of fluid on the track...nothing I can see is broken, 4 wheeler pulls up and tows me back to the pit...clunk, clunk, clung, grind, clunk clunk.... get back and start her up to investigate....cars cranks ok, starts ok...put her in gear, drive shaft spins and thats it.....clunk clunk clunk.....I blew up the rear end....Dana S60 with a tru-trac and 3:55 gears.... 35 spline axles....not sure whats broke.....but its effin broke.... Tomorrow a call to DTS to see what they want me to do.... Mike up there was certain that with a radial street tire and a turbo I wouldnt brake that tru-trac, but it could be ring and pinion I guess. Time will tell.

So we pull the racepak to see what it shows and the boost controller must not have worked as planned. we left at 4lbs like anticapated and in 1.03 seconds it ramped to 24lbs of boost, which I know by dyno experience, thats about 1250hp and 1000ft lbs of torque... it felt amazing, like I was on a ride to outerspace....for a brief second.....

So its broke, and next year...it will be faster!!!!!!

get that rear fixed and bring to my indoor track aka chassis dyno and save lots of time getting that thing fiqured out
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/07/10 12:40 PM

Quote:

I'll tell you now that that rear wont survive in that car. Get a strange ultracase 9 inch with large pinion shaft upgrade. When you put that much torque to a rear with a ratio that low, than add to it a hard street gear, the outcome will be continuously disasterous. Dont spend another dime on that rear if you want to go faster. You can get large pinion 9 inch pro gears in 3.50,3.60,3.89 etc..

I agree, time for a 9"...
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/07/10 01:34 PM

That's hauling the mail! Gosh I love forced induction!
Posted By: blown572dart

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/08/10 06:37 PM

Quote:

.....I blew up my rear end

Your lucky because I would have BROKE your rear end

Fix it so when I get there it is in good working order.

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/08/10 09:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

.....I blew up my rear end

Your lucky because I would have BROKE your rear end

Fix it so when I get there it is in good working order.

The only guy I know (other than richard simmons)with the fascination of the rearend.......

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/08/10 09:24 PM

You must be making the assumption that Im as pretty as the car....well your right.....im just not that into you
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/09/10 01:44 AM

Josh, what was your trap RPM on your 8 sec pass?

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/09/10 01:50 AM

Posted By: feets

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/10/10 03:15 PM

Could it have been a mistake on the programming? You went from 2 psi to 4 psi and the car hit 24 psi.

I imagine it was a monster kick in the backside when you let off the brake. Too bad it ended quickly.

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/10/10 08:41 PM

It was more than a programming error.....I had the hoses ran incorrectly. I had 50psi of co2 on the top of the gate with no control what so ever........
Posted By: StrokerAspen

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/11/10 02:13 AM

That's too bad it let go. I would guess it is the true trac, but time will tell! I would think the Dana would take that kind of abuse other wise. It will be a learning experience to see what let go for sure. Oh, and if you ditch the Dana for a 9" I will take it off your hands for ya. haha.

-Kenny

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/11/10 03:00 AM

Im keeping the dana....it will be ok once I do some of the upgrades I have on the works.... next year is going to be very very interesting....if all goes well, I may try to do something like take the car to SGMP in the middle of winter to test, just because it sounds like a lot of fun....

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/11/10 09:05 PM

Quote:

You must be making the assumption that Im as pretty as the car....well your right.....im just not that into you

No butt I sure wood be deep into you

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/11/10 09:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It is known by all that Ricky Recardo was hung like a stud mosquito..... Im surly not worried

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/11/10 09:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It is known by all that Ricky Recardo was hung like a stud mosquito..... Im surly not worried

Sólo voy a hacer daño si gritas

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/11/10 09:18 PM

You will only do damage if I scream eh....

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/11/10 09:20 PM

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/11/10 09:20 PM

¿quieres todo ello en el interior o nada de esto a cabo?

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/11/10 09:28 PM

Lo voy a enterrar en la medida en que sus ojos se salen de tu cabeza y tu culo va a ser la última cosa que pensar !!!!!!!!!

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/11/10 09:38 PM

Qué dulce de que piensen de mi los ojos de esa manera .... que me quieres
Posted By: racerx

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/13/10 12:13 PM

Josh just read in FSC that u run a stock block,with plans on upgrading to another short block,just wondering what block were u planing?And also what mod's were made to that (factory) short block to withstand that HP seem's to b making some serious steam Thaxx

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/13/10 12:45 PM

I have a Koleno low deck that I am going to be building this winter. As for mods to my block, it has BCR girdle and main caps, aluminum bill miller rods and its half poured with hard jacket...
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/14/10 03:40 AM

buy a solid .500 short KB block retap for your heads. run water in heads and an oil cooler
Posted By: demon1515

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/14/10 04:56 AM

Quote:

Im keeping the dana....it will be ok once I do some of the upgrades I have on the works.... next year is going to be very very interesting....if all goes well, I may try to do something like take the car to SGMP in the middle of winter to test, just because it sounds like a lot of fun....

Just let me kno to be there!

Re: 8 seconds and broke - 10/14/10 02:19 PM

Quote:

buy a solid .500 short KB block retap for your heads. run water in heads and an oil cooler

And then drive it around the block, stop let it cool, drive it another block, stop, let it cool....I put a lot of miles on the car in town or I would have done something like that, or methanol...but its a car I like to drive a lot
© 2024 Moparts Forums