Moparts

Master cut off switch on a duster

Posted By: SG duster

Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/01/10 10:22 PM

What are you duster racers using for a cut off switch & where have you mounted them?
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/01/10 11:56 PM

I have a Dart Sport but my set-up should also work on a Duster. I have a push/pull rod coming out below the taillights, just above the rear bumper. The hole is somewhat concealed. I just had to fabricate the linkage to the regular master cut-off switch mounted inside off of my weight boxes. Rod and clamps are out of aluminum and easier to fabricate at home.
Posted By: Dart1031

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/02/10 02:44 AM

Race only? Remove the side marker light and mount a plate with the switch in it where the lense was.

EDIT: Not sure if this is legal these days, being on the side of the car. My friend did this to his Road Runner back in the early 90's.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/02/10 03:03 AM

Quote:

Race only? Remove the side marker light and mount a plate with the switch in it where the lense was.

dont believe that will pass tech I dont have my rule book handy but I seem to recall it states kill switch must be in rear of vehicle.
Posted By: Dart1031

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/02/10 03:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

dont believe that will pass tech I dont have my rule book handy but I seem to recall it states kill switch must be in rear of vehicle.

I fixed my post when you quoted me, lol. I'm not sure now either.
Posted By: Ari440

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/02/10 03:08 AM

look at the red knob near the battery

its against the tail ligth

going througth it

Posted By: topside

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/02/10 03:09 AM

Some tech guys don't like switches or charging posts on the sides in case the car rubs the wall.
Actually, the rear mount for the kill might be an NHRA rule.
Mine has it below the trunk lock cylinder, between the horizontal body line and the bumper.
On my Roadrunner, I ran it through the back-up lamp lens.
Both are rotary switches.
Posted By: MagnumDartSport

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/02/10 03:10 AM

How about the AWESOME end of your push-pull switch!!
I don't have a pic to post but it is a one-off CNC design.

Anyway,just wanted to give Myron a belated Happy Birthday!!!

Terry n Barb
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/02/10 03:46 AM

Posted By: gearhead01

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/02/10 04:07 AM

I am not trying to hijack the post, but I am trying to figure out where to put a shutoff on the rear of my 68 Valiant. The trunk lid comes down to the bumper. Any ideas? Any pictures?

Thanks, John
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/02/10 04:29 AM

in trunk, by tail light

Attached picture 6228244-atco1.jpg
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/02/10 04:36 AM

Posted By: joshking440

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/02/10 04:58 AM

I mounted my flaming river push pull swith to the side of the trunk brace that holds the lock mechanism then ran the rod just to the left of the lock on the outside. Looks great and works great
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/02/10 05:10 AM

Quote:

I am not trying to hijack the post, but I am trying to figure out where to put a shutoff on the rear of my 68 Valiant. The trunk lid comes down to the bumper. Any ideas? Any pictures?

Thanks, John

Mine is between the bumper and deck lid, by r/s
tail lite. Its a push switch, rod doesn't get in
the way ...
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/02/10 08:24 AM

my switch is mounted where there would be the trunk key/lock..

I use a continuous duty relay for the alternator shutoff..

Posted By: gearhead01

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/02/10 06:40 PM

B1Killer -Thanks. I like that better than my first idea which was farther to the left. Which would cause me to put an open end slot in my fiberglass trunk lid. Your way, all i have to do is notch or chamfer the corner. Less chance to start a crack.

Thanks again.

John
Posted By: nhramark

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/03/10 04:48 PM

I have a pin-on deck lid, so I also used the original trunk key opening to mount my master switch.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Master cut off switch on a duster - 10/04/10 12:10 AM

I like the KISS princple so I mounted mine here. I ran the cables through the rubber drain plug in the spare tire well and used two # 10 self tappers to mount the bracket onto the bottom ledge of the bumper No holes to fill or worry about later BTW, this is the second switch, I burnt the first one up in four years, MR Gasket or Moroso this one is a Summit 250 AMP, it is labeled with the on and off positions, very nice peice. I have had it mounted there since day one and have not had a peep form any of the techs inspectors yet , 10 or 12 different tracks
© 2024 Moparts Forums