Moparts

Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$

Posted By: JC Childress

Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/27/10 08:08 PM

Is the aluminum center section for the 8 3/4 worth the extra $$$ it costs over a nodular one ?

Where is the cheapest place to get one ?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/27/10 08:10 PM

No, get a dana.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/27/10 08:48 PM

Quote:

Is the aluminum center section for the 8 3/4 worth the extra $$$ it costs over a nodular one ?

Where is the cheapest place to get one ?

I run a alum center but I bought it before they went
sky high on price.... if your car is light and have a
8 3/4 all set up for your car then maybe it is BUT if
the car is heavier then no its not worth it
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/27/10 09:30 PM

The MP aluminum casting is a rip-off.

The new Yukon nodular iron casting with forged steel caps and billet adjusters is a deal.

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/27/10 09:54 PM

It would be a stock eliminator car, cant run a Dana in a Duster.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/27/10 10:11 PM

Yes you can.
Posted By: Cuda367

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/27/10 10:15 PM

Let's see. A stock elem, car and I can reduce unsprung weight and have a stronger unit than stock. Seems like a no brainer to me. I also feel that the aluminum carrier is as stong as it needs to be to arrive at the point were the gears are going to fail no matter what else I do. If we could just get someone to make pro gears for them.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/27/10 10:22 PM

Not legal in Stock
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/27/10 10:55 PM

Quote:

The new Yukon nodular iron casting with forged steel caps and billet adjusters is a deal.

Cass, is the new Yukon casting lighter or heavier than the stock carrier?

It is too bad that MP messed up the pricing on the aluminum center section. If they had it priced reasonably, and if it was a finished part, it would be a cool thing to run.

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/27/10 11:01 PM

The old Yukon nodular case was heavier than stock. The new version weighs about the same.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/27/10 11:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Cass, is the new Yukon casting lighter or heavier than the stock carrier?

It is too bad that MP messed up the pricing on the aluminum center section. If they had it priced reasonably, and if it was a finished part, it would be a cool thing to run.

Why isn't it considered finished?

Yes, they messed up on the pricing.

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/27/10 11:17 PM

The MP casting does not include adjusters.

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/27/10 11:29 PM

Quote:

The MP casting does not include adjusters.

Geez....

It would have been almost better if MP never made an aluminum center. Since its out on the market, if someone could sell one for cheaper they would never attempt to make it since it's such an niche.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/27/10 11:34 PM

The MP center section also doesn't have clearance for the higher gear ratios.

I wanted to get a MP center built up for Tim's car but the cost was just too high to justify the weight reduction. There were a lot cheaper ways to pull weight out of his car so we dropped that idea off the list.
Posted By: vcummins

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 12:03 AM

If you can get one reasonable get one. i run one in top stock for years. As for the Dana you can run A Dana in stock elem. its A corporate rearend.

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 12:09 AM

Quote:

I wanted to get a MP center built up for Tim's car but the cost was just too high to justify the weight reduction. There were a lot cheaper ways to pull weight out of his car so we dropped that idea off the list.

What kind of higher ratio can't you run in it?

I've seen a old magnesium M/T housing at a swap meet for I think under $400. Same dude's had it for while. It was awful roached up though. I'd consider it a piece of clay you would have to check every measurement on. And just plan to do some machining to it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 12:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What kind of higher ratio can't you run in it?

I've seen a old magnesium M/T housing at a swap meet for I think under $400. Same dude's had it for while. It was awful roached up though. I'd consider it a piece of clay you would have to check every measurement
on. And just plan to do some machining to it.

Eherenberg did a writeup on it in Mopar action and they had to grind the housing for the 2.94 gearset they were installing. Said 2.76's didn't look like they'd fit.

It was installation clearance they had a problem with on the pinion and not necessarily operating clearance.
Posted By: GregCon

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 02:37 AM

I had a new one I paid $400 for and sold it when I had guys begging to buy it for $800.

I had an M/T mag version that I had about $125 in and sold it when I was offered $400.

So I am still iron-only and plan to stay that way.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 02:40 AM

I like my Randy's ring and pinion aluminum center
Posted By: dOOc

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 02:46 AM

what is the weight diff ? .. 11 lbs ?

NOT worth it ...IMO.

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 03:37 AM

Quote:

what is the weight diff ? .. 11 lbs ?

NOT worth it ...IMO.

Hey that's unsprung weight. Next step is to polish the gears, backcut them. Run an aluminum locker. Then cut bridges between the ring bolts. And then....

Oh wait this is a drag racer crowd. They don't go in circles.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 04:57 AM

nope get a 9'' or a dana

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 03:07 PM

You cant run a 9' Ford in Stock eliminator, and I aint sure about the Dana, but it would be too heavy.

Is the Randy's ring and pinion aluminum center section a pretty nice piece ?
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 03:37 PM

Quote:

I aint sure about the Dana, but it would be too heavy.

The Dana is legal. As far as heavy yes but they are a more efficient rear. I did a direct swap out from a Dana 60 to an 8 3/4 and saw nothing.
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 03:46 PM

Quote:

You cant run a 9' Ford in Stock eliminator, and I aint sure about the Dana, but it would be too heavy.

Is the Randy's ring and pinion aluminum center section a pretty nice piece ?

Unless iam mistaken randy only makes a nodular iron. I just checked their website.

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 05:13 PM

Randy doesn't make an aluminum 8 3/4" casting. The only aluminum version is the MP piece.

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 07:39 PM

Whats the weight difference between the Dana and the 8 3/4 ?
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 08:08 PM

Maybe 40 lbs...do the Dana and be done with it.You'll never have to worry about the rear ever.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 08:20 PM

Quote:

Maybe 40 lbs...do the Dana and be done with it.You'll never have to worry about the rear ever.

You would think so but lately it seems there`s been d-60`s lettin go almost as much as 8 3/4`s.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 08:46 PM

Maybe the Dana's need to be set up by the Doctor.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 09:10 PM

Gee I guess I need to get my vision checked I watched 4 different Dana's go boom at the track recently but That must be impossible they can't blow up! Come on they all can blow up period. I have lost ove the years 6 DANA 60s in heavy vans and yet not one Ford differential in the last 9 years and the Ford engines make way more power. Build the Dana if you can afford it, but there is nothing wrong witha 8.75, and yes I lost side bearings in one on my stick car years ago, fixed it and never worried about it. By the way the aluminum centers are not worth it I have one and frankly its justas heavy putting in the car when you are on the ground as the iron one. My 10 cents
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 09:26 PM

I guess the nine inch rears have nine lives.
Well, I've watched high power cars both on the street and the track and never saw a Dana have an abortion.
Mind you, they can break if not set up properly.
Some people should stop beings freaks of many trades and masters of none.
My 8.75 was set up by a friend who raced Chevrolet's and it never let go under 450 HP.
Now that the boiler room is creating more steam, I rely on the tried and true Dynamic Dana.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 09:43 PM

Dana is legal in stock..

Have friend with E/SA 340 68 Dart, he has Dana in it.

Attached picture 6221754-Picture522.jpg

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 10:03 PM

I called and talked to Bruce and yes, the Dana is LEGAL. I have a Dana in my car, it just needs to be widened a tiny bit, but already has the 40 spline spool, so I will run the Dana.
I have a brand new set of gun drilled 40 spline Mark Williams axles that have to come out of it, and they have never been run......now I need to sell them and get me a new set.
Thanks for all the input.

Oh, btw, who builds the engine in that Dart that runs E/SA ?
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/28/10 10:44 PM

Quote:

I have a Dana in my car, it just needs to be widened a tiny bit, but already has the 40 spline spool, so I will run the Dana.
I have a brand new set of gun drilled 40 spline Mark Williams axles that have to come out of it, and they have never been run......now I need to sell them and get me a new set.

If it needs to be widened "a tiny bit", before you buy new axles, double check the spline engagement on both sides. The axles just might have enough extra spline length to still work. You need a minimum engagement equal to or greater than the diameter of the axle shaft being used.

Personally, I like the Mopar aluminum 8 3/4. There IS a noticable difference when lifting the center section and I seem to be getting longer gear life in the aluminum case than the OEM cases. High 1.40 60' times in decent weather weighing 3,540+ lbs footbraking. Mopar use to pay contingency on it in IHRA, but doesn't now. That's how I started using one. It hasn't given me any reason to change. All gears wear out, so I just keep an eye on it.

As a little extra insurance, my current gear set is "Finished" and I use Amsoil gear lube.

Cryo & surface finishing.

Amsoil Severe Gear

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/29/10 08:42 PM

bump
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Is the aluminum 8 3/4 center section worth the $$$ - 09/30/10 02:58 PM

use the stock center section,,,and build it w mark williams caps and billet adjusters! that will beef it up! caps are the week link,being that the adjustment bolt is through the center of the cap
© 2024 Moparts Forums